Author Topic: Books on Civil and Land.  (Read 19211 times)

scout

Re: Books on Civil and Land.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »
Not discounting it....just asking for FULL disclosure. So that other users do not think they will have the same access or standard of care from their vendor. Or the vendor network in general.

While we may not be able to get actual 'desk management to show up at our clients' offices, we interact with autodesk every single day. Our clients' issues are our issues, and if I have an issue I do my best to get real answers.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
And that helps separate YOU from them.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:16:40 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

scout

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
And that helps seperate YOU from them.
and _them_ would be?????

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
And that helps separate YOU from them.
and _them_ would be?????

THEM, wold be those like this users' Vendor: http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=22970.0

Or others, like the ones that would not or could not give a succinct presentation on MAP to Eastriver Electric Co-Op, and they know who they are.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

surveyor_randy

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:56 AM »
Well...  I purchased the Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 book as did most at our office.  For most of us, I will have to agree with Michael, it is nothing more then a paper weight.  I've learned much more from both Michaels (mjfarrell and sinc) then I have that book.  It barely touches on anything, let alone teach you how to master any concepts.  I was particularly unhappy with the survey section of the book.  A whopping 21 pages of nothingness.  And there is absouletly nothing about creating cogo points from the designs.  How about some real world scenarios of staking a pipe network from C3D, slope-staking a basin or a corridor?  At first, I encouraged everyone here to purchase the book, but now I discourage it because it pollutes their mind with too many ill concepts and I have to explain why they shouldn't do such and such.  A good example is creating a ROW parcel.  It seems as usual, that us surveyors just get ignored.  What you engineering people fail to realize, if it wasn't for us, your designs wouldn't be created.  Just my $0.02.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
Randy, you mostly all bought this?  Really?

Good news all is not lost! They are perfect for hikers, back packers, and boaters!

The CD makes a handy Rescue Mirror!

And the pages (if kept dry) are perfect for starting a rescue fire!

And need I say; 'far smoother than a hand full of leaves'?

And hours of boredom can be eliminated playing Match the Image, where you try to match the wrong figures, with the text that goes with them.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
Looks like I missed out on a fun time yesterday. Ms. Scout, I read through alot and I have seen the Civil 3D book. Its great for college classes, grasping the concept on how to basic things. And I understand that there is a level for Advanced Peeps like you Mike and others and then there is a level for basic peeps as well, ( Which I thought geared towards them). What do you do when you have advanced people trying to say, "why does this not work?, Why does it crash! I do this routine all the time." I have even talked with Mike some about this, here I am on the other side looking at Civil3D thinking its the bomb, which is it is at the time for creating almost 90% Construction Plans, as Dino said. (I AGREE). On the other side there is the other company that has the PC (PowerCivil) that does reports and Construction plans and all the above drainage dynamically. However, I dont want to waste my time jumping for software to software trying to get it to do what I want it to do and transfering it back again! lol. Wait. I am doing that now with the Hydraflow Extensions. Ironic.

Sorry. I know you guys have read some of my posts with " Can it do this??? This is all I want!?" I know in a few years it will get there. They question is, Do i keep forking out the money on Subscriptions until I finally find what I want. Or do I find a Programmer out there and say this is what I want. What can you do for me?

Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »
MSTG007,

Everytime I think I have found the 'secret' channel to communicate program errors, they claim to run out of band width. Which I think is code for 'there is no solution, there is no problem, and we are not working on it'.
If only they would open up communication channels a bit, and listen to what the customer wants the software to do, (Grade without Crashing, Lot Line Labels on their own layer, Survey tools that work,etc), instead of a new look and feel to the same interface that lacks the tools (stability) the users really need.

Me thinks a large part of the Civil customer base is really tired of being held hostage with the Subscription program. Spending money on the promise of Future ware, and then basically 'locked' into autodesk because they already have their money. And then, again and again they fail to deliver, there is a lot of dissatisfaction out there.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »
I agree, totally. So what are we supposed to do? Sit Wait for the version of our choosing? If it takes 20 years, it takes 20 years! then I will fork out the money for the subscription upgrades (20,000.00) and be happy. And in the mean time, I will stay on Version 2005 Civil 3D and wait. lol
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »
not even funny :?

:lmao:

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 10:00:26 AM »
Hey,

What do we do in the mean time? Wait, talk to Dana and the EE guys, and the beta team. Just keep communicating...:)
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
Hey,

What do we do in the mean time? Wait, talk to Dana and the EE guys, and the beta team. Just keep communicating...:)

Perhaps; there is one positive side effect of all that 'talking' at least one will not be holding ones breath and turning blue!   

Let's see, five years of wanting MAP to function with C3D objects; still NOT in there.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »
MSTG007,

Everytime I think I have found the 'secret' channel to communicate program errors, they claim to run out of band width. Which I think is code for 'there is no solution, there is no problem, and we are not working on it'  . . .
I am reminded of the answering machine message our seismic crew party chief had while his crews were busting budgets in Montana . . .
Hello, you have reached the phone number of ****.  At the sound of the tone I am not here, please leave a message > CLICK > dial tone

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
Lets make up our own. We can take all the functionality and place it in an app and, we can do what the people want it to do...

I want MAP to act like Civil 3D. 
"Guess what. What?, YOU GOT IT!"
WOOOHOOOOOO

The world would be at peace. All would be right in the lands of civil / map
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »
Uh NO I do NOT want MAP to be Like C3D.

I want MAP inside C3D to work with objects made with C3D.  See where the disconnect begins?

You are already on the path of producing the wrong product. All will still not be right in the world of Civil.

Now, in your own words please repeat the goals of the development team. Just so you, make me understand that you understand the goal. It should look and sound something like the following:

C3D must, and shall have full query, and topology functionality, using all C3D objects.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell