Author Topic: Books on Civil and Land.  (Read 19199 times)

scout

Re: Books on Civil and Land.
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2008, 01:36:52 PM »
I have classes if they want classes

Who is they?

you know who they are, let's not be coy.  whomever needs other class materials that would be who.

Not trying to be coy. Sorry if it came out that way. What I meant was- are you speaking to users at large? Or Autodesk University? You just missed the call for papers.

John Mayo

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2008, 01:38:21 PM »
Complex Corridor Modeling!!

scout

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »
Complex Corridor Modeling!!

I think we need a new thread on this subject- what a great conversation to start. I have a lot of questions that you, John, might be able to help me with, as well as seeing what everyone else has had success with.... starting it now.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
If you really want your information to be available to 'the public' post it openly for the public to access or, I have space on my site, or your blog, or here at The Swamp.

The public, should not need to register to see the information if that is what you are truly about, otherwise you are using them.

What is your real purpose?

Do you want to help them?  Post it openly

Or are you only about Marketing to them?  

Your actions will be suitable answer.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

scout

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
The public, should not need to register to see the information if that is what you are truly about, otherwise you are using them.

I was going to respond to this post a few minutes ago, but I had to stop and login first and have my IP logged. So now I have lost my train of thought... :)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »

I was going to respond to this post a few minutes ago, but I had to stop and login first and have my IP logged. So now I have lost my train of thought... :)

Not my rule, not my site.  :wink:

However to the best of my knowledge; The Swamp does not use that information for any marketing purposes. Either to sell advertising on The Swamp, or directly to the users.

I require no such actions on my site.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

scout

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2008, 02:39:20 PM »

What is your real purpose?

My mission is to help Civil Engineers and Designers create better designs. Civil 3D happens to be a tool that I think can encourage better design. Since I made that discovery almost four years ago, I have sought to put myself in a position that allows me to reach the most people with that message.

One of my earliest public expressions of this mission can be found here (and yes I realize interia is misspelled in the hyperlink. :( )
http://civil3drocks.blogspot.com/2005/07/interia.html

As I learned more, worked with more clients through my job as a reseller AE, then on my own projects as a freelance CAD designer, I found public discussion and my blog, Civil 3D Rocks, to be a great way to reach people. When EE asked me to join Civil3D.com and then their team, I found a way to reach more people.

Civil 3D Rocks still reaches about 300 unique visitors every weekday. At its height of technical posting, it reached about 500 per day. For comparison, Civil3D.com gets at least triple that. Often more. That means that every time I post to Civil3D.com with a useful piece of information, several thousand people can read it. Use it. And learn. With any luck, they can make more use of Civil 3D in their office and maybe get closer to that dream of better design.

The first EECast that I did had over 100 live attendees. Yesterday, I had about 100 again. Again, more people that I can reach, help and educate. More people who can tell me their experiences, their positives and negatives. More people that provide me with the energy and material to continue moving forward, doing more, reaching more, learning more.

Mastering Civil 3D is expected to sell a total of about 15,000 copies. Regardless of how anyone feels about the title, or the content, nobody can tell me that there isn't something to be gained and learned from this book. I saw a world that was fighting a software package that had minimal written material to learn from. I have them all on my self. Zimmerman, Ascent, AOTC, Ward, Ellis. Just like I have many Civil Engineering texts, and childcare books and books about keeping horses. Each book has something to offer and contributes to the collective understanding. I see Mastering as another way to reach people with useful information. They may not learn something on every page, but they will not have to fight to learn what is on every page on their own. There is something to begin with. A step towards becoming a user. A step towards better design.

So what is my real purpose? To reach as many people as possible and share what I have learned. They may go a different direction. They may choose not to buy our book or become our clients so that I can work even more closely with them. That is OK. I can only hope that they continue to seek answers and continue to work towards better design.

And with that, my baby boy has finished building towers and is ready for a nap. So I can move to the office again and get some writing done before his big sister gets home.

Bon Courage.

therock003

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »
therock003, I'm the guy that sent you here from cadtutor (rustysilo - the one who knows some "mad civil"). I stepped out of this thread after it began to heat up so I don't know all of what's been said after the first page or two. What I can tell you is that any book you buy will more than likely end up being a desk reference at best. It is unlikely that any book will tell you everything about the software and I doubt that would really be possible anyway unless you want a book that's big enough to be a coffee table. If you have the money and would like to buy books there's nothing wrong with that. Buy them. Read them. Post a review on them so we all know how good or bad they are.

As a testimonial we've had MJF come in to our office for two sessions over the past few years. One session for Land Desktop/Civil Design and one session for Civil 3D. He did a fantastic job (imo) and if it were my decision I would have him back again. Unfortunately it isn't my decision and I work in an office where folks don't seem to understand what roi means so our investment doesn't get its full use. Still I've continued to learn and have learned a great deal about the software by simply following MJF's advice and using the help file. Additionally, I get much use out of online forums and tutorials as I'm sure you know.

Really, when it comes down to it you just have to utilize all sources in order to gain a strong understanding of the software. Sure you have to be aware with "official" training sources that they are training to make money so more often than not (especially with free online tutorials and such) they will leave out pertinent information just so they can get you to buy more training. That doesn't mean they're bad sources to learn from necessarily. That's how capitalism works. To some of us it sucks and yet others don't have a problem with it. To each his/her own. You have to glean from other sources to fill in the blanks they've left you with.

Hey friend,i havent forgotten about you,i ntoiced you from the sig by the time i got here,so no need for introductions!  8-) .

So anyway the only experience i had so far as far as books go,is the Harry Ward civil 3d 2007 book.Past Friday i went a trip to the store and they had brought the 2008 version,and i snneked a peak and sadly most of the material seemed the same,so i didnt bother spending the 75 euros it was priced at.Then there was the Mastering Civil at 50 euros but i guess i'll have to wait for the new version to catch up with whatever changes there may be.

And i'm also looking for the Harnessing book which here on Greece there's no edition at all for Civil,only the 2005 land desktop which i've purchased but havent really worked with it thoroughly.

Basically the problems i encounter is that i want to do specific things and all these books and help references look like an endless loop,and i cant come to the forums every time i need something done.Books seem to break down each menu option,so it looks like you have to look at every option individually and then decide how best to utilize them after you've read an entire book.Procedure and applications though does not to do this,it rather explains whats being done behind the software and helps you with specific scenarios.Problem is though that it doesnt go too deep.It's like giving you the incentive to go deeper alone.

I guess the best way to learn such software,is to have someone nearby with experience and bombard with the "how do i do this and that questions".

dfarris75

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »
Yeah for me I will generally try to solve it on my own and then come here or cadtutor to ask the question. Other times I'll post the question on a forum and try to solve it on my own after I make the post too.

I have no problem flooding the forums with good questions that maybe others have too. The more questions that get posted the more answers there will be and many times you'll get several different answers and you can pick which way you want to do things based on your needs.

For some of us this is about all we can do if our employer is either unable or unwilling to pay for training.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »

I don't know if this was directed at me but that's the way I took it.

FWIW, your IP is recorded every where you wander on the inet, have you looked at the http logs for your blog? You'll find my IP there, among all the other folks that passed by. I can assure you Google does more with those IP's, among other information gathered, than I do. If you think I am some how using/exploiting those IP's you are sadly mistaken and quite frankly, hurt my feelings. I can assure you, the information that my http server gathers is used for stats, and our protection. If you would like to use a proxy server that anonymizes your IP then please feel free to do so. A Google search for 'public anonymous proxy servers" will give you many to choose from.

For the record, the following is what this http server collects. BTW, that's my IP.

Code: [Select]
192.168.131.191 - - [25/May/2008:17:06:09 -0500] "GET /images/theswamp_logo.png HTTP/1.1" 304 - "http://www.theswamp.org/cadl.html" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14"
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)