Author Topic: Curious about the how far you have taken Civil3D  (Read 2089 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Curious about the how far you have taken Civil3D
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
I am assuming, all of us have done grading and pipes to create a model. I am just curious to know how far everyone has taken in it, How detailed are you being with it? Does your model reflect what you are trying to build?
I am trying to think is it worth going through all the detail to get a safe working model of a site. For instance. Building Pads which are extruded. Pavement surface which has a thickeness to it similar to a corridor for how to stone base, binder, etc. Smart Blocks on parking which automatically count how many spaces are there. Grading pavement and concrete walks with intergral walks with a 2% side slope. Grading all the handicap ramps on walks. Placing 3D Structures and pipes in the ground. which show the way that they will look. running water line 60" below grade and showing a fire hydrant on grade in a 3D look. Modeling the pond around your outlet control structure, making sure you can meet that 3:1 Side slope.

And it be nice to populate these things with tables which update. woohoo.

Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Curious about the how far you have taken Civil3D
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »
to the point of failure and beyond

what is your question?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:08:16 PM »
how far have you guys taken the 3D stuff?
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »
I helped The Land Group in Eagle River, Idaho do a full 3d visualization study for a proposed helipad with it. (hello Jason)
And some other nifty stuff with others.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:19:59 PM »
My sanitary and storm sewer plans looked exactly like the plans I created with LDT 2005 and even r13 EaglePoint . . . a structure outline and 2 line pipe in profile with a single line and a symbol in plan view  I used the generated labels except where some format requirements could not be generated.  Water pipes were a total hack job tracing a polyline over my design grade, smoothing it out, moving it down for 42" cover and copy it down the pipe diameter with mtext label elements.  I couldn't trust the interference and crossing checks because of the storm pipe issues, those were all done by hand also.  I would not call any of it 3D work and absolutely nothing was rendered.

dgreble

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
It is used for full production of site plans, subdivisions, plats and other large scale projects.  It is my opinion that the users we have are quite talented and confident in using the software.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
Yes, they are; but you guys had help.  :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dgreble

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
we did, as well as hard work, determination, blood, sweat, tears, unbelievable deadlines and a relentless client.

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »
we did, as well as hard work, determination, blood, sweat, tears, unbelievable deadlines and a relentless client.
In a word, commitment . . . I think this may be a factor as important for success as training.  I congratulate you and your company, the municipal agencies, contractors and the clients who all shared in this commitment.  From what I understand, the reviewing agencies in your area are actually working on a set of standards and Civil 3d templates for use by all engineering firms in your area . . . outstanding, absolutely outstanding . . . I can think of no more important single way to move Civil 3D into general acceptance than to insure that plans can be readily prepared that will meet the demands and criteria of all parties and this area wide template is a remarkable step to that end.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »
Even better news, for dgreble is that some of the people involved with that template creation task have had some training outside the realm of AOTC materials in the classes at Southeast Technical Institute.  That and Shannon is on his Team along with a few other talented individuals who know that I don't know names.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell