Author Topic: double scale viewport? RESOLVED  (Read 10752 times)

Bethrine

double scale viewport? RESOLVED
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
Okay, crazy notion...

I had the same problem with scaled annotations in paperspace.

1. Model is drawn 1:1 in Model space
2. Viewport is on a no print layer, NOT the Defpoints layer
3. Viewport is set at 1:4 scale
4. I am NOT using annotative dimensions. (Is there more than one place to tell AutoCAD to do this?) I put views of 3D objects on paper space so annotation actually costs me more time to set up properly than just using paper space.
5. Annotations are all done in paper space.

Problem: Annotations show the scaled measurement and not the actual 1:1 measurements. For example: a one inch cube, through a 1:4 viewport, measures at 1/4" in annotations in paper space. I want it to read the 1:1 measurement of 1".

I have been looking and looking for a setting that affects this and cannot find one. ANY help appreciated for a plaguing problem. (If the problem is the user, I am okay with that, the user needs to be fixed!! )  :-D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:42:03 PM by Bethrine »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: double scale viewport?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
in the dimension style....Primary Units tab - middle of the left side...

MEASUREMENT SCALE
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bethrine

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
Opened it up this way...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »
apply viewport scale factor there...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bethrine

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »

I need this spelled out for me.

I want everything 1 to 1 so that when I do use a scaled viewport, my annotations give me the proper dimensions 1 to 1.

First book I ever read on AutoCAD said leave everything 1 to 1 so you don't have to "find" a scale setting and just scale viewports. I have been doing this since. I did fool around with annotative dimensions so that I knew what they were. To my mind, paperspace is scaling the dimension readings and I want it to stop...okay, maybe I'm being stubborn. I'm trying it.

One of my worries is making to many settings changes, getting lost in them and then never figuring this out.  :uglystupid2:

Bethrine

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »
Cleaned it up a bit but tried to leave the problem areas.. :oops:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »
for dimensions in model space the 1:1 rule = true

For dimensions on the layout (paperspace) not true you must apply the viewport scale to your dimensions to have them be correct.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bethrine

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 07:57:04 PM »

For dimensions on the layout (paperspace) not true you must apply the viewport scale to your dimensions to have them be correct.....

I did that and it does not change anything in this drawing. However, I clipboard copy and pasted from model space to a new drawing and everything is now working as expected. My co-worker says it's just a bad drawing.

ROBBO

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 02:09:06 AM »
What is you DIMASSOC system variable set to? Make sure this is set to 2.

If it is set to 0 or 1 then system variable DIMLFAC applies. For nonassociative dimensions in paper space, DIMLFAC must be set individually for each layout viewport to accommodate viewport scaling.

Kr. Robbo.
The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on.
It is never of any use to oneself.

Oscar Wilde
(1854-1900, Irish playwright, poet and writer)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »

I have never done that.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 08:24:23 AM »
That is a very limited-scope solution, imo, which may work for some instances, but leaves one with an inflexible situation that requires much manual work.

1- I would suggest setting DIMASSOC to 2.

2- Leave the dimension-style settings as you have them.

DIMASSOC is a system variable that is set on a per-drawing basis.  It is not set across-the-board for any drawing you open.  It can be set to 1 in one drawing, 0 in another, 2 in another.  So the drawing you pasted the model into, it may have been set right.  The drawing you /had/ it in originally may have had dimassoc set to 0.

If you have DIMASSOC set to 1 or 2, it will read the scale of the VIEWPORT and the dimension will scale appropriately (assuming you snap tot he objects in model space through the viewport, when you're placing dims in paperspace)

If you have DIMASSOC set to 0, the scale of the dimension will stick stubbornly to the scale set in the dimension style, which you have set to 1.000.

DIMASSOC=2 means never having to set your dimension scale - only your viewport scale.  This is a solution that works perfectly for any drawing, regardless of the number of sheets or viewports.  If you have a viewport at 1:4, and have a 1:1 detail inset, DIMASSOC=2 means you can keep creating dimensions on any viewport and they'll read correctly.

DIMASSOC=0 means you have to manually chance the scale of every dimension or have a separate dimension style for each 'scale' of dimension, and apply the scale to the appropriate dimensions.

DIMASSOC=0 = wasting time, imo.
DIMASSOC=2 = leaving your time to worry about more important things.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
let me correct myself

IF  DIMASSOC = 0  then you MUST set scaling to match viewport

IF DIMASSOC = 2 then you don't
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
and...

always use OSNAP and snap to geometry points for dimensioning.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

ROBBO

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
and...

always use OSNAP and snap to geometry points for dimensioning.

Second that...
The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on.
It is never of any use to oneself.

Oscar Wilde
(1854-1900, Irish playwright, poet and writer)

Bethrine

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »
Thank you everyone! DIMASSOC was set to 1 in that drawing. I set it to 2 and wha-la! The dimensions are placing correctly and if I save and close and re-open the drawing they are still correct. Yay!  :yay!:

Note: I have been a member of the swamp for long enough that I am careful both to use snap points carefully and to make sure I don't leave extra lines on top of lines or in wierd, funky pieces.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  :yay!: :yay!: :yay!: :-)