Author Topic: double scale viewport? RESOLVED  (Read 10724 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: double scale viewport? RESOLVED
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 02:30:21 PM »
and or dimension in model space

In several different scale views at several different projections. This is a machine part.
that would be why you use ANNOTATIVE text AND dimension styles
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »
Firstly the reason for the dimensions changing is probably that they were created with version before AutoCAD 2002.
DIMASSOC was added in 2002 but dimension used DIMASO variable which is still present in 2015.
If you open a drawing created previous to 2002 in a newer version the drawing has no DIMASSOC value and it sets it to match DIMASO which can only be 0 or 1.

and or dimension in model space

In several different scale views at several different projections. This is a machine part.

If I do that, then I have to do additional work for each viewport and annotation scale and who knows what else (I haven't done it much) maybe additional layers. I CAN but I don't WANT to. If I dimension in paper space and let the viewport scale, it saves loads of work...as long as my dimensions read 1:1.
Sorry I guess I'm confused and making it more complicated, but if I did that in paperspace it would if taken more work because I would of have had to of dimensioned it twice

I've never had to dimension twice or set up scales or any of that. I tell the viewport what size it is once, it scales the visual of the object and I annotate anything on any different scaled viewport one time and it's all correct. I don't have to change dimension styles either, I only use one and it's standard everywhere. At least until something started changing my dimension readings.
I was not suggesting to change anything that is already done but for creating new parts was showing you only have to annotate once and do not have to annotate for each different scale and did not have to create scales, and did not have to create dimstlyes could of just made Standard Annotative.
I will leave it at this because like normal I probably confused but, if you looked at drawing I attached it might make more sense.

Bethrine

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »
Firstly the reason for the dimensions changing is probably that they were created with version before AutoCAD 2002.
DIMASSOC was added in 2002 but dimension used DIMASO variable which is still present in 2015.
If you open a drawing created previous to 2002 in a newer version the drawing has no DIMASSOC value and it sets it to match DIMASO which can only be 0 or 1.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Sorry I guess I'm confused and making it more complicated, but if I did that in paperspace it would if taken more work because I would of have had to of dimensioned it twice

I could quote you and there is something I am definately missing here.  :uglystupid2:

I was not suggesting to change anything that is already done but for creating new parts was showing you only have to annotate once and do not have to annotate for each different scale and did not have to create scales, and did not have to create dimstlyes could of just made Standard Annotative.

I did look at your drawing. I didn't have to do any of that.

Bethrine

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Maybe this will explain it better, why to dimension annotatively in model space appears more difficult to me. If I am wrong, I am most interested! I would have to dimension the attached drawing on all 6 sides as well as detail views...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
no it is a bit easier to uuse annotative dimensions and text and hatching....

once you A) get used to using them, and or B) get all the anno scales set up in your templates
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bethrine

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
Doesn't that add the work of putting them on different layers so I can freeze all the dimension layers on sides of the object that do not pertain to a specific view?

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »
Doesn't that add the work of putting them on different layers so I can freeze all the dimension layers on sides of the object that do not pertain to a specific view?

Dimensioning in model space with annotative dimensions is harder than what you are doing. There are a lot of variables to annotative scaling. Paper space annotation is easy peasy. Sometimes the KISS method is the best option.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
IF you are dimensioning the actual 3d model yes...   
however one could them make a case to use the sectioning tool instead....and dimension the sections
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bethrine

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »
IF you are dimensioning the actual 3d model yes...   
however one could them make a case to use the sectioning tool instead....and dimension the sections

Okay mj, pretend I'm in kindergarten. Why is a dimension in paper space, that is reading off an object in model space, saying that a 6" measurement is 3"?

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »
most probably because you neglected to use OSNAP when selecting the point?  or DIMASSOC is set wrong.

general comment, based on a certain amount of experience in plant and civil work, is that a dimension should only be shown in one place, one the one sheet that it is most relevant to.  annotative dimension make it easy to break that rule, but IME it's poor drafting practice.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Bethrine

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
most probably because you neglected to use OSNAP when selecting the point?  or DIMASSOC is set wrong.

general comment, based on a certain amount of experience in plant and civil work, is that a dimension should only be shown in one place, one the one sheet that it is most relevant toannotative dimension make it easy to break that rule, but IME it's poor drafting practice.

Yes, that (in bold) is one of the first things they taught me to look for here.  :-)
I confess I don't understand the part in italic, probably because I haven't been using them...that I am aware of.  :roll:

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
I confess I don't understand the part in italic, probably because I haven't been using them...that I am aware of.  :roll:

The annotative scaling that can be applied to dimensions, text, and blocks, like linetype scaling, allows you to show the same annotative object(s) through viewports with different scales at the same size in paper space. With dimensions, there is the potential for duplication at different scales of the same view. The same feature applied to blocks allows you to show the same symbol at the same size at different scales without duplicating the block on different layers just for viewport scale.

Hope that makes sense.
CAD Tech

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2015, 07:23:45 AM »
also annotative function can also allow one to NOT show things that are not relevant at a particular scale...
take framing for a steel building...in an overall General Assembly drawing the nuts and bolts and washers would just clutter the drawing
so IF they are blocks and IF they are annotative - they could exclude that scale and not be shown...
same blocks later in a 'connection' detail drawing would show up at that scale in that viewport.

as to why a 6" dimension is showing as 3"???  sounds like DIMLFAC is being applied to that dimension string
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
is that a dimension should only be shown in one place,
why is that?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
is that a dimension should only be shown in one place,
why is that?
In theory (dating to manual drafting) it reduces the chance that a dimension
may change and NOT be updated in all locations.
This potential problem can still happen if one is NOT using associative dimensions AND in the habit of overriding the dimension value(s).
Be your Best

Michael Farrell