Author Topic: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]  (Read 36579 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Re: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:22 AM »
The last "group project" I worked on used a wiki to allot tasks, highlight deadlines etc.. it was the first place anyone in our group went before posting a query on the group forum. Would this project use something similar?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »
I volunteer to translate English English to American English and remove all those crazy U's. :lmao:
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was going to offer to do the opposite translation to put in all those missing Us lol

Regarding the filtering system, would it be possible to do an "implied" *filter* (so that for example "wall" would automatically be interpreted as *wall*)?

I second Se7en's "boss" candidacy (I'd kind of assumed he'd be the "boss' boss" anyway <shrug>

Given that this is to form part of a larger library, would our best option perhaps be to establish a "library saved variables" procedure and tap into that for this project?

dJE
===
dJE

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »
The last "group project" I worked on used a wiki to allot tasks, highlight deadlines etc.. it was the first place anyone in our group went before posting a query on the group forum. Would this project use something similar?
Do you have something in mind jane doe? Do you have an example or link you can toss us?

I would like to keep it on theSwamp but im sure i can talk Mark into giving us a small amount of server space if we need a website however, would the private forum (a sub forum inside here where only project members can access) idea be good enough?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2011, 08:59:56 AM »
Do you have something in mind jane doe? Do you have an example or link you can toss us?

I would like to keep it on theSwamp but im sure i can talk Mark into giving us a small amount of server space if we need a website however, would the private forum (a sub forum inside here where only project members can access) idea be good enough?
If not, we could always just use a Google group, but I'd much rather keep everything at theSwamp.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »

The wiki was hosted on the university server, so I would assume it could be hosted here (with Marks blessing) The wiki complemented forum posts, as the wiki was used for information, and posting the results of discussions we were having on the forum board, highlighting deadlines and general project management.
I'll look through my notes this evening to see if I can see which wiki was used.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Update on the SVN here at the Swamp (thanks again, Mark!), I'm setting up a trial repository now.  I'll post more results in a couple of days, including proposed procedures for code control.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
^ that's huge! thanx dgorsman.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2011, 06:38:54 PM »
Project Announcements:
1. Next Wednesday (04.13.2011) is the final day to submit and decide upon criteria.
2. Please vote on if you would like this project to be donated to Mark (theSwamp) to use as a bonus for donations.
     a. Please vote on if you think closing this project off from the general public or using private SVN access for this reason.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2011, 07:47:55 PM »
2. Please vote on if you would like this project to be donated to Mark (theSwamp) to use as a bonus for donations.
     a. Please vote on if you think closing this project off from the general public or using private SVN access for this reason.

I don't think it's robust enough for that: too many similar free programs floating around.  Don't get me wrong: I like the idea, but, maybe use this project to get the group thing down and then tackle something more difficult.  My vote would be to create a utility that uses a .dwg as a database . . . just sayin.
James Buzbee
Windows 8

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
Drawing as a database for what (layers to import)?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:01 AM »
Project Announcements:
1. Next Wednesday (04.13.2011) is the final day to submit and decide upon criteria.

I dont have a problem with donating it to Mark to use for additional donations. but I also agree with jbuzbee.
Drawing for a list of layers would be nice, that way, anyone who uses the project wont have to be a coder to input their custom layer names in some lisp routine.  We'd just have to provide in the documentation instructions on how to name your drawing, and where to put it.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
I've got nothing against donating this project to Mark, but I thought this was an open source project so that members could learn from the code?

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
Drawing as a database for what (layers to import)?

I'm always questioning why someone would want to use an outside database (sqlite, excel) when a .dwg file IS AutoCAD's default database.  And, AutoCAD gives us a way to access said database with ObjectDBX.  What would be nice is to have tools to make managing a "drawing" database easier: xdata to sort and categorize complicated objects, i.e. blocks, styles, vertical objects, etc.  Dictionary tools for storing non-graphical data: project info, office standards, ways & means, etc. 

I use a drawing as a database now: layers, layer states, blocks, styles, etc. but I can only categorize objects by using tricky names: tag_roomName is my roomname block.  Better to have xdata categorizing the block as a tag.  Make sense?
James Buzbee
Windows 8

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 12:55:11 PM »
This project is--and can remain so--most certainly open and for learning but I would also be a fool for not considering all options (That's what I wanted the members to vote; its our project). I'm glad you guys are voting. Please speak up when you feel the need.

> Drawing database / drawing layer issue.

The drawing database for layers *can* be done but the question remains is it a popular or useful feature for most people; I dont want to limit the use of it based upon the tools requirements. Code is easy, we can create other variations or plug-ins to it. -e.g. I don't use a drawing standard layers for my company because of the all the departments I have (It would be far too many layers in our drawings if I were to include all of them). So, I feel we need to address the issue of creating either an INI (settings file) or a choose drawing to pull from. All I am saying is If we can limit the specificity of the tool, we can have a larger user base.

So, to get the `drawing layers isuse' ball rolling; I recomend that we create a setting dialog box and a INI file. The setting dialog will be run if the INI is either empty or missing. The INI file should be able to be deleted or reset via the main dialog. If the INI is reset should we open the settings dialog or have a simple label with an elipsis button in the main dialog?

BTW jbuzbee, are you participating? You havent answered my question in the SIGN UP thread.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
Why dont we just code for both, if the drawing doesnt exist, use the ini file, if neither exists, post an error or alert message?
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10