Author Topic: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]  (Read 35928 times)

barc

Re: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »
Project Announcements:
1. Next Wednesday (04.13.2011) is the final day to submit and decide upon criteria.
2. Please vote on if you would like this project to be donated to Mark (theSwamp) to use as a bonus for donations.
     a. Please vote on if you think closing this project off from the general public or using private SVN access for this reason.

2.) Most definitely.  "Open Source" does not prohibit appreciative support and should encourage such.
2a.)  abstain   -  I see pros and cons both ways.  To my little mind, the focus of the project is more about the 'group" effort than the product, so rock-throwing from the peanut gallery may be distracting from that aspect of the effort.  On the other hand, we all know that a simple comment from someone outside the current battle might be just the thing that moves a stuck project out of the mud.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
There has been smart people stuff words used so I might not fully understand so forgive me if I am off subject.

I would love to contribute but when it comes to Lisp my lack of knowledge would be a burden. 

So I do not know how Lisp performance would be but I will throw this out there if it will spawn any ideas.

Created a .NET app that used dwg's as layer files.

Instead adding all the layers to dwg it listed the layers from the dwg by discipline selected.

It would only bring in the layer if needed instead of adding a bunch layers.

What ever layer selected all objects would drawn on that layer and it would add from layer drawing if current database did not have layer.
If objects were already selected and you double clicked on layer name it put all selected objects on that layer.

Do not know if you would want this functionality but it would separate layers by New, Existing, Demo
You could select a color for Demo and Existing.
For example if you had Existing selected it would create a new layer with the color specified for Existing and add a -E at the end... -D for Demo,
so if you wanted to view in 'New Phase' all Demo layers would be off.

So the only time you would create a Existing layer in the layer file is if you wanted it to have a different linetype.

Would change layers from Existing to Demo to New etc.......
Kinda like Renovation tool

Would create seperate drawings and or layouts for new and existing.

I shut-up about that now since you get the idea

So maybe to contribute something from .NET side I have thought could be useful for Lisp user's and Kerry or Gile would know for sure if it would be to much of a hassle, but
to make creating palette's, forms, ribbon's a simple task in AutoLisp.
I do not see why not if someone wanted to take the time they create a separate program that you could create UI visually by dragging and dropping and create code to add to .lsp or call from UI library.

In the pic below from app described above it would not be hard to tell what names to use for layer file or how to group etc..... could return layer name or ObjectId(whatever you need in Lisp).
Of course as just explained it would not be a very reusable, but I would think a Library UI could be abstracted to point of being useful.

Sorry if I just wasted 5 minutes of your life. 

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

<snip>

One of the reasons I proposed this be done is LISP is the relative simplicity of not only coding, but management.  I'm not sure about the collective experience level in using SVN to collaborate on a project and while there isn't a direct plug-in for the VLISP IDE, we don't have to fight both the language and collaboration.

That said, I am considering a .NET branch of the SVN once we get going.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
After consideration, I'm voting for free access, for the first part.  Yes, we could donate it for use afterwards but the start-up nature of the project will likely make it more of a "meh" than a "Yeah!".  If this leads to more then I think we should give serious consideration to either providing the contents as a thank-you for donations, or provide previously release versions in FAS format as a free teaser and the source code as the thank-you.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
After consideration, I'm voting for free access, for the first part.  Yes, we could donate it for use afterwards but the start-up nature of the project will likely make it more of a "meh" than a "Yeah!".  If this leads to more then I think we should give serious consideration to either providing the contents as a thank-you for donations, or provide previously release versions in FAS format as a free teaser and the source code as the thank-you.
I'm good with that too. The download by donation was just a thought to bring a little money Mark's way.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
I know this is a last minute feature suggestion, but how about adding an "and make new layer current" button.

dJE
===
dJE

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »
A few notes on the Subversion SVN for those that are not familiar with it.

One of the problems with collaboration (especially over the internet) is how do you manage contributions from multiple people?  This becomes a real problem with code files where multiple functions reside, such as LISP files.  This is where Subversion comes in to play: allowing users to make contributions in the same file without (necessarily) overwriting the work of others or locking others out for the sake of a minor change.

A central repository is created in a common location (in this case, here at theSwamp), with folders and files as required.  Each user installs a Subversion client application (TortiseSVN is recommended) which manages the users connection to the repository.  A local "working copy" folder is connected to the repository using the application, which will download/upload the selected files and folders.  Now, for the cool part.  When the files in the repository are changed the SVN client can be used to indicate *what* was changed from the users working copy, and those changes can be incorporated into the users working copy without disturbing any changes the user has made (provided it doesn't conflict with what the user changed).  SVN also allows for multiple working "branches" to be developed independantly then merged back into a central "trunk" later on e.g. one branch for pure DXF/entmake, another for VLISP, and a third for ODCL.  Finally, you can load the working files into AutoCAD right from the working directory - no temp copies required.

Sending changes back to the repository can be done in one of two ways.  The simplest method is to perform a "commit", where the working copy overwrites the repository copy.  This requires the user to take responsibility for updating their own working copy first, otherwise previous changes to the repository copy may be lost.  This operation is usually reserved for admin-level users for this reason.  The second method is to create a "diff patch".  This creates a file with a set of instructions (called a "diff") that indicate the changes to be made to the repository file.  This "diff" is then sent to an admin-level user who checks the contents for QA/QC and conflicts with other "diff" submissions.  The "diffs" are then collectively applied to the repository copy (usually on a regular schedule) and users are alerted to update their working copies.

How does this apply to us?  At the start, I forsee a lot of movement in the code: new functions, new global variables, changes to function names, and so on.  Creating diff patches for each of these would be tiresome for the coders which is the reason I suggested isolating each function into its own LISP file.  This will allow individual coders to perform their own "commits" to the repository with little fear of mucking something else up.  If they are not comfortable with SVN access or don't want to install the SVN client then they can simply submit the file wholesale to a lieutenant to commit.  Once the code base has stablised then we need to decide how to proceed.  I would suggest we consolidate the functions into a handful of files and change to the diff-submission system, although we could continue with separate files and individual commit operations.  We don't need to make the decision immediately - it can be put on hold for a while.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2011, 07:07:54 PM »
dgorsman, related to SVN (Ive put some forethought into the group effort problems); have you seen my post on my LispFileProcessor? Makefiles or batch scripts could make the process of assembling, updating, committing easier.
[ http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37700.0 ]

Good introduction BTW.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
dgorsman, related to SVN (Ive put some forethought into the group effort problems); have you seen my post on my LispFileProcessor? Makefiles or batch scripts could make the process of assembling, updating, committing easier.
[ http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37700.0 ]

Good introduction BTW.

Thanks.  And, yes - I was considering the potential for using that for compiling the "trunk" files partway through the project.  If separate files are retained then a makefile can be used to create the "trunk" or "release" version up to date.  If the fewer-but-larger-files path is taken it can be used to help build the "trunk" then.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »
Project Announcement:
12 hours until the criteria deadline.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
I left the writeup i was working on at home (sorry) so i will start the Kickoff thread later today.

Donate to TheSwamp.org