Author Topic: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]  (Read 35885 times)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:20:24 PM »
Idea/Concept/Overview:
DESCRIPTION:
----------------
This project will allow the end user to select an item (before or after tool is called) and change the item(s) selected to a layer of the end users choice. Choice of layer will be made via a dialog box (list box, with an Ok and Cancel button).

MEMBER RANKS:
----------------
Boss:
        Decision Maker

Lieutenant:
        Package Assembly

Assassin:
        Documentation editor

Soldier:
        Coder / Documentation creation

CRITERIA:
----------------
N/A at this time.

Please make your suggestions for any changes, additions, etc. for anything listed in this post (add to the criteria, make changes to member ranks, change the description).

Please note:
1. I imagined that after this tool was created we could have another or additional tool to change everything on the selected items layer to a new layer (just an idea).
2. I realize this project can be done by one person but the act of working in a group is my overall objective (It will not only strengthen member ties but allow others to learn).
3. I would imagine that after this step we can create a sign up sheet for ANYONE who wishes to contribute.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
Re: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
Sounds good: A simple but useful tool, perfect for use in a library.

What language will this be coded in (AutoLISP, Visual LISP, or something even more exotic)?

What's the Lieutenant supposed to do?

dJE
===
dJE

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
either or both.

not sure yet; we should discuss if this should be item #1 in a suite of tools and\or if this needs something like an installer. ...?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
*Se7en checks to see if his profile says: "Ignored by: * members"*

So whats wrong now? No comments/critisisms/thoughts...nothing?

Let's try this (open this thread up):
Is there even a chance at a Group project? What are the problems with a group project? I thought the problems would be "time" and complexity" so i tried to think of a very simple project where people would only have to contribute a few lines. What has to happen to get a discussion started (I will even promise not to contribute if that helps; i dont understand [does everyone hate me that much]).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

barc

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
[Says the monkey in the peanut gallery who is completely devoid of ANY coding skills.]
"I'm waiting with bated breath, aquiver with the anticipation of pilfering the results and learning something in the process."
[/monkey shuts it]

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
I just don't want to do much Lisp anymore.  I'm pretty comfortable with the knowledge that I have, and would rather expand my knowledge with C#.  That is why I don't participate in the Lisp forum that much anymore.  Plus those people that do answer the questions seem very capable.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

LE3

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
Holly macarroni and cheese!!!
What it is lisp ? by the way ?  :-o   

:-P

I just don't want to do much Lisp anymore.  I'm pretty comfortable with the knowledge that I have, and would rather expand my knowledge with C#.  That is why I don't participate in the Lisp forum that much anymore.  Plus those people that do answer the questions seem very capable.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
I'm not that excited about Lisp either but I'm really trying to help theSwamp become a better place. sh|t, i even tried to develop/extend a new tool for the comunity to facilitate the group development process but even that turned out to be a major faceplant.

Im just trying to help this place become the best place on the net for help/tools/etc.

barc, you most certianly can help if you want even if you dont know any lisp; you can come up with ideas/criteria/documentation/etc. ...plenty for anyone to do.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
Holly macarroni and cheese!!!
What it is lisp ? by the way ?  :-o   

It's a language way above your abilities LE.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
That is why I asked what people would want in an xref suite.  To help out the community.  Also to learn.
Tim

barc

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
Idea/Concept/Overview:
DESCRIPTION:
----------------
This project will allow the end user to select an item (before or after tool is called) and change the item(s) selected to a layer of the end users choice. Choice of layer will be made via a dialog box (list box, with an Ok and Cancel button).
Okay a suggestion, maybe this is too soon for this level of detail but.......  We frequently incorporate vendor drawing information in design drawings, can the function be so designed to pull layer information from a separate template file or a standards file, then if that layer doesn't exist, create it and set parameters, if it does exist giove the option for using current settings or replace with template/standards settings?

barc

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
That is why I asked what people would want in an xref suite.  To help out the community.  Also to learn.
Is that another thread somewhere??? I have suggestions  :)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 01:36:24 PM »
Okay a suggestion, maybe this is too soon for this level of detail but.......  We frequently incorporate vendor drawing information in design drawings, can the function be so designed to pull layer information from a separate template file or a standards file, then if that layer doesn't exist, create it and set parameters, if it does exist giove the option for using current settings or replace with template/standards settings?

I wrote a tool--for my company--wich does all that; The simple "move-to-layer" jumped from about 50 lines of code to almost 500 but its definatly do-able if we get enough help.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Is that another thread somewhere??? I have suggestions  :)

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37582.0

Suggest away.
Tim

LE3

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
for sure!
:-D

It's a language way above your abilities LE.