Author Topic: What's the next Milestone for the swamp?  (Read 10064 times)

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
What's the next Milestone for the swamp?
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:25 PM »
From this thread:
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=37351.0

This site is a great resource.  A great place to learn and share.  But what's next?

As discussed with se7en, it seems to me that a fair amount could be achieved through deliberate, planned, and managed collaboration.  I mean a group getting together with an idea, developing an abstract, resource management planning, appointing a manager, and start developing with regular chats here, in public, for everyone to learn.  Start off small and develop the collaborative process: focus on that first, not coming up with a jaw dropping project.  Once people get the hang of collaborating, then delve into the complex stuff.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.  The key to a great collaboration is everyone is doing what they want, what they're good at, with a balance to the overall needs of the project.  Putting the right people together could really produce some interesting stuff. 

Just a thought . . ..
 :wink:
James Buzbee
Windows 8

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: What's the next Milestone for the swamp?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »
I vote: a library of code which can be used for Autolisp (both flavors) or OpenDCL. In short, writing theSwamp's version of--or replacing--the STDLib (from Reni Urban).

This way:
1. People of all "levels" can contribute.
2. People can use "it" several different ways (learn from, develop with, etc.).
3. We can put the overlooked SVN feature of this site to use.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
I vote: a library of code which can be used for Autolisp (both flavors) or OpenDCL. In short, writing theSwamp's version of--or replacing--the STDLib (from Reni Urban).

This way:
1. People of all "levels" can contribute.
2. People can use "it" several different ways (learn from, develop with, etc.).
3. We can put the overlooked SVN feature of this site to use.

What is SVN?  Is it some new diabolical tool developed by that Se7en madman?   :evil: :evil:  :-D 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »
We started a group collaboration of rewriting all the ACET-* Express Tool subroutines, but it didn't last long.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
What is SVN?  Is it some new diabolical tool developed by that Se7en madman?   :evil: :evil:  :-D 

yeah kinda. But i put the description and documents for it somewhere on the internet. If there was only a way to find them amongst all that other stuff.

...Okay, that was a bad joke; I should have just stuck with the usual "let google be your guide" or something like that. sorry for the bad joke; its late and im going home now.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
We started a group collaboration of rewriting all the ACET-* Express Tool subroutines, but it didn't last long.

Okay this may sound mean but its really not...well it could be--i didnt mean it that way--but i wil let you decide for yourself (besides, you are a big boy you can take a little "shot" once and a while). If it helps, read my reply below and apply a Joe Pesci voice.

Yeah, way to contribute to the conversation. Would you like to offer anything constructive now?

:P

Donate to TheSwamp.org

barc

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »
excellent, a one-stop-shop for your friendly neighborhood code thief (that'd be me)  It has my vote   .... where do I vote?

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »
excellent, a one-stop-shop for your friendly neighborhood code thief (that'd be me)  It has my vote   .... where do I vote?

lmao

You dont get one. Not untill you get as many posts as Bill Gates has dollar bills.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

barc

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »
[mumble] crud frelling newbie [/mumble]

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »
I don't have a *whole* lot of time, but I need experience in project management both for upcoming work and a minor crusade that needs to be started.   :angel:  And I can use experience with SVN.

I'll contribute where I can in the areas of coordination, planning, and management.  Technically I can also contribute some expertise in XML/XSLT (yeah, I'm evangelizing a bit lately  :whistle: ).
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »
[mumble] crud frelling newbie [/mumble]
lol Again with the humor!? I think you and I will get along just fine (just don't get all touchy-feely on me).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
Maybe follow the guidelines and structure @ codeplex.com as I have seen some good and useful things created there.
Of course do it here at the Swamp

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
Okay now that I've been home (and tested something on Linux) I think i should be totally upfront about my suggestion. I kinda got "something up my sleeve".

Allow me to explain myself better. One major problem with the previous attempt at a library was the chances for creating what's called a "high coupled library". A few months back i wrote a tool that can help eliminate those chances (and some other problems as well). I would consider giving that tool away--to the community of course--if we do go forward with a group project (it doesn't have to be a STDLib). The tool I wrote a few months could best be described as a "Preprocessor" (please don't read too much into that; this tool is pretty "low-level").

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 03:28:34 AM »
One major problem with the previous attempt at a library was the chances for creating what's called a "high coupled library". A few months back i wrote a tool that can help eliminate those chances (and some other problems as well). I would consider giving that tool away--to the community of course--if we do go forward with a group project (it doesn't have to be a STDLib). The tool I wrote a few months could best be described as a "Preprocessor" (please don't read too much into that; this tool is pretty "low-level").

Neither Google nor wikipedia have heard of "high coupled library."  I like that, very clever on your part: invent a probblem so you can generously provide a solution!!!

dJE
===
dJE

pkohut

• Bull Frog
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 05:47:12 AM »
One major problem with the previous attempt at a library was the chances for creating what's called a "high coupled library". A few months back i wrote a tool that can help eliminate those chances (and some other problems as well). I would consider giving that tool away--to the community of course--if we do go forward with a group project (it doesn't have to be a STDLib). The tool I wrote a few months could best be described as a "Preprocessor" (please don't read too much into that; this tool is pretty "low-level").

Neither Google nor wikipedia have heard of "high coupled library."  I like that, very clever on your part: invent a probblem so you can generously provide a solution!!!

dJE
"highly coupled code"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_%28computer_programming%29
New tread (not retired) - public repo at https://github.com/pkohut