Author Topic: Keeping Track of Plotting Paper  (Read 8299 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Keeping Track of Plotting Paper
« on: January 12, 2005, 10:16:46 PM »
Is there a way to keep track of all the plotted papers which you create with ACAD with a bunch of users?

So when a user plots, a box appears asking or it automatically takes the drawing name and places it in a database where you can look at it at the end of the month or something?

What do you guys do?

whats a free route to this too?

thanks
Civil3D 2020

M-dub

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 07:50:27 AM »
That's a really good question!
I'm going to ask our IT guy what he uses to see if it may have some application to this problem.
I'll be back. ;)

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 07:57:01 AM »
yeah we go through about a roll a day here. it would be interesting to see a pie chart of the percentages by each user. good idea

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 07:59:22 AM »
I'd be interested to see if there are any Non-CAD people using the plotter.  I know our IT guy has a program where he can see WHO printed WHAT from WHERE and WHEN...I just sent him an e-mail to see if he could see what size it was (ie 8.5 x 11, 11 x 17, 24 x 36, etc)

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 08:00:47 AM »
BTW:  A ROLL A DAY?!?!?!

Sheesh!  Do you guys go out and have a tree planting day once a year or what?  ;)

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 08:52:27 AM »
A roll a day, gee, we can go through a roll every half hour some days, then we get in a hurry.

We capture the contract number (client), file name, and user at the network plotter queue.  Not real sure how it's done, but the IT guys post a report at the end of every month.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 08:53:47 AM »
This would be a great program to have.

We use about 10 45m rolls a week at the moment, but about 10% of the drawings printed are never picked up from the plotter.  If I could find out who was doing it I could jump all over them.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 09:18:31 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
...but about 10% of the drawings printed are never picked up from the plotter.  If I could find out who was doing it I could jump all over them.

That, you could take care of with a plot stamp that includes the username...I know what you mean, it happens here too.

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »
Quote from: M-dub
That, you could take care of with a plot stamp that includes the username.

The boss won't let us use plot stamps :roll:
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 09:41:46 AM »

It must be the boss who's leaving all those plots in there then! ;)

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 10:03:07 AM »
Quote from: M-dub
That, you could take care of with a plot stamp that includes the username.

Figure out about how much paper is wasted every month on trash plots.  Show that figure to the boss and tell him you could save that money with plotstamps.  If he's not moved to action then, ignore the problem.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 11:39:05 AM »
Our plotter tracks which computer sent the plots and it is stored on the plotter HD ... if I want to know who is plotting what I simply browse to the plotter, log in, and check the plot log. It tells me who, what, when, and how many.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Dent Cermak

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 12:24:35 PM »
if the roll is thinner, i figure somebody plotted something, otherwise, i could care less. i do worry about the paper supply in the can though. that can get critical.

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 12:57:28 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
if the roll is thinner, i figure somebody plotted something, otherwise, i could care less.
ahh the joys of the small office, I remember them well... sigh...

With over 200 designers and 50 engineers hitting the plotters with plots, if we can save just one plot per person per day we can save over 200 rolls a paper a year.  Heck, if I could get everybody to just LOOK ot the bleeding plot scale prior to sending the bleeding plot, we could save 100 rolls a year.  Paperless office my Gluteus Maximus.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 01:19:44 PM »
i have submitted a particular thread related to this. what i have used to track plotters and all the printers in the network, in the past, was a program called "Technesis"

http://www.smartplot.com/

this program is installed into any folder on the local intranet and each user has a separate installation that is linked to that program, basically known as a their client software. with the main program it allows you to manage every aspect of printing/plotting such as the roll size, billable, non-billabe, unit cost, pie graphs & charts, archiving of invoices, and many more. however, i wish there was a way to do it with lisp. that would be cool. and the most suckiest part of this program is that its abot 200 bucks for the main program and 75 bucks for each client (pc per user). i  believe this program is a real nice way to keep track of drafting budget if you are concerned about it. because bond, vellum, mylar, and most types of special papers are pretty expensive. if your spending a lot on paper its always cheaper to get them buy bulk, the more you buy the less per roll.