Author Topic: Keeping Track of Plotting Paper  (Read 8301 times)

jwisherd

Keeping Track of Plotting Paper
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »
We have a small high production office with about 8 drafters/designers, We have a hand written plot log on top of the plotter. Every plot sent is susposto be entered on the log. Number of sheets, project, date, and reason. We also have a slave driver in billing that keeps on us about this as she enters the info in to the clients billing statements, if they request it.
It's not the most accurate process as it sometimes dosn't get filled in, but it works quite well. If there are any simple programs, it might be an efficient route for us.

M-dub

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 02:32:18 PM »
It's funny, but sometimes we have to revert back to 'the old days'.  If there was someone working who had a view of the plotter, they'd be able to see who goes up to get something and doesn't record it.
Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back from my IT guy.  He's been in a meeting all day.

danny

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 02:35:36 PM »
I've been looking around for such a program that will track plots also.  All I was looking for is who plotted it, what kind & size of paper, when/time, and of course job #.  The office I'm working is not willing to pay big bucks for such a program....Doesn't make any sense to me cause we always gotta put a job # in the plotters/printers when we make copies, but someone can send a print from their computer that uses a hole ream of paper and it won't be tracked to a job #.  I also noticed all the personal stuff being printed...one of the reasons for such high overhead cost...

M-dub

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 02:41:29 PM »
If I worked at it for a month or so, I could MAYBE write something in VBA to append certain information to a spreadsheet or access database or something every time a successful plot was made.  If the function was added to everyone's plot command, it might work, but I'm sure that there'd be a workaround.  Besides, you'd want it to count plots sent from other programs as well, I'm sure.

I dunno...just dreamin', I guess. ;)

danny

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »
yeah.. i've seen and used tools that work between different programs like AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, Excel, etc...and I've tried looking at the guts of it.  Don't understand much cause I'm just a beginner...
If I worked at it for a month or so, I could MAYBE write something in VBA

but if any person here attempts to build such a tool, I would like to follow along and learn the process.
I dunno...just dreamin', I guess

M-dub

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 03:23:21 PM »
Time is a factor that I am not too familiar with these days, what with home renovations and wedding plans going on.  :roll:

PDJ

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 07:10:45 PM »
Ummm.. Wedding plans?? All you have to do is sit back and say things like "That sounds like a GREAT idea sweetie" or "Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too!!".. Follow it with a kiss and you'll be done in time for halftime.  

Weddings are for the females.  How many times have you heard a bunch of guys sitting together talking about thier wedding and where they got thier tux??  The last thing we remember is the bachelors party, everything else is a blur..

M-dub

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 07:49:13 AM »
I'm supposed to go get fitted for the tux this weekend!  I don't know why it has to be so long before the wedding!!!  I'm hoping to lose some weight before the big day anyway.  Ah well...like you said..."Yes dear, whatever you say, dear..."
I just have to start mumbling to myself a little quieter and rolling my eyes AFTER I've turned around. :roll: ;)

TR

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2005, 12:46:15 PM »
Sounds like a good idea for a project. If people are really interested I can write something to handle this. Just give me an idea of what exactly you're looking for.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 02:57:31 PM »
How about a box that prompts up asking for the Job#... and it puts it in a excel file or something
Civil3D 2020

danny

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 03:45:15 PM »
m-dub wrote
I just have to start mumbling to myself a little quieter and rolling my eyes AFTER I've turned around.

Sounds like wedding plans and home renovations is not all thats going to be taking up time...looks like some potential drama occuring.  oh-boy...don't want that happening... :)

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 12:24:28 PM »
how about a program that outputs the users name, what plotter or printer. size of sheet, quantitity, type of plot (submittal plotcheck), cost per unit. anything else?

danny

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »
dubb,
Job # for billing.

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 10:13:50 PM »
yup... and it goes into excel or something... and at the end of the month you can print it off and be done with it!
Civil3D 2020

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2005, 05:08:15 PM »
if any body had checked out my previous post on this topic, take a look at the smartplot program. its basically covers the whole drafting marketing information. it can be installed on any computer wether or not they have autocad installed on their pc. with the reports i can use the statistics decide how much paper to order. so many uses for tracking print ques.