Author Topic: Is it acceptable in your place....  (Read 25129 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: Is it acceptable in your place....
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »
I don't think you are being obsessive at all.  If that guy is putting different z values at the ends of his lines, your length of that line will be in 3d, not good if you draft in 2d.
Would be a neat trick in LT

craigr

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
You CAN draw 3D in LT, but it is difficult to do.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 06:02:01 AM »
The trouble is that if / when the subject is brought to management / non-CAD users, their response is typically 'it looks fine when printed, so there is no problem'
There would be a problem if the drawings take longer to edit (and create in the first place!) My suggestion... Each time you have to edit one of these drawings make a note of how much extra time it takes you to edit it. Management would then (hopefully) realise it is a problem, no matter how good it looks on screen :)
It is something I do when I have to edit some unknowledgeable/lazy-drafters drawings, so I can justify my time spent on a crappy drawing.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »
I made my own polylinejoin function that makes one line out of all  lines that are in one direction as lines under lines mess up our cnc, it's been pretty handy.  But like you say multiple line segs are not acceptable.

Bob Garner

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Tracey makes an excellent point in keeping notes of time spent on fixing these sort of things.  On our timesheets, there are places to add this kind of info so it winds up right in management's face.

sinc

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
In my world polylines are preferred for better than 95% of everything I ever draw.

The biggest problem I run into with polylines in the Civil world is that some commands (namely Line/Curve from end of object) do not work on them.  I regularly need to explode polylines (or trim off the last segment and explode it, or draw a temporary line/curve over the last segment, etc.) in order to use these commands.  And FILLET regularly gives poor results on polylines - I often have to explode a polyline in order to use FILLET on it, or use the TTR option to draw a circle, and then hand-create the fillet by trimming the polyline and circle.

Then there are the problems with polylines in C3D Parcels.  I still use them a lot, because there are also advantages to using polylines to create Parcels.  But they can have bizarre side-effects, due to bugs in the program, such as "jumping labels" if you have to later edit the line.  And by simply grabbing a Parcel Label and moving it to the dragged state, I have had all Parcels along a polyline reset, with all Parcel info (number, styles, UDPs, etc.) returning to default values.  And there's more.

But I still use polylines a lot.  I just often find the need to flip things back and forth between polylines and lines/arcs.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
In my world polylines are preferred for better than 95% of everything I ever draw.

But I still use polylines a lot.  I just often find the need to flip things back and forth between polylines and lines/arcs.

SINC, without going so far as to be accused of hijacking the discussion, the issues you mention are part of the core of my complaints in regards interoperability of ALL of autodesks' products; not only when mixing 'VERTICAL' applications, within the various products themselves.  Most of the issues you discuss are simple laziness to not upgrade the OLD Land Desktop Lines and curves commands to function like other C3D tools.  If they had one would get a prompt similar to the Create Feature Line From Object tool:Select lines, arcs, polylines or 3d polylines to convert to feature lines or
[Xref]:
And the tool would work with any and or all of those options.  This isn't a 'wish list' it's a 'consistency' across the interface issue.

The issues with the parcel lines; is the same only in reverse.  As in; IF they are going to allow one to use polylines, they should verify that normal polyline editing functions do not cause parcels made from them to behave erratically.  

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »
.... to explode your blocks. 

Nobody cares!  :x
Nobody freaken cares anymore!  :realmad:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans