Author Topic: Is it acceptable in your place....  (Read 25042 times)

JCTER

Re: Is it acceptable in your place....
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 11:11:53 AM »
I'll pop extra points into a colinear pline if I want to use it for snap points, sometimes.  Would seem gratuitous to someone who is unaware of my process, but it has saved me some time, and helped retain reference points without having distracting construction lines or point-objects screwing with my visual.

M-dub

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »
You have a point.  Not all practices are relevant in all disciplines of drafting.  I know one person I work with goes absolutely crazy over objects not being on snap.  I'm talking F9 snap... not Osnap.  Again, in I & E, snap makes cadding much faster and easier (and cleaner) in many drawings, but not in all drawings.  In mechanical drawings, for example, snap has almost no use ever being turned on... unless you just want to annoy yourself.

craigr

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »
Wow!

I didn't mean to stir anything up. I was just curious if I was being too 'obsessive'.

BTW, I am one of those guys that are obsessed with things being drawn on snap, .05 with lines being 3 snaps apart, (with few exceptions). Granted, I didn't come up with these standards, we all did. But I am the one assigned to maintain them.

M-dub

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
In drawings where snap is relevant, I am also a stickler, but many drawing types, snap is irrelevant.

Bob Garner

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
I don't think you are being obsessive at all.  If that guy is putting different z values at the ends of his lines, your length of that line will be in 3d, not good if you draft in 2d.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »
That reminds me of another huge pet peeve of mine... When I come across a drawing covered in rev clouds that are made up of individual arcs... and what makes it worse is when they're all on the same layer as most of the other garbage in the drawing... it just takes forever to delete them.

Yeah, plines certainly have their uses.
I isolate the layer, then pedit and join with window crossing.  very simple and quick
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

craigr

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
Hey, that's a good idea!!

I would never have thought of that.

M-dub

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »
That reminds me of another huge pet peeve of mine... When I come across a drawing covered in rev clouds that are made up of individual arcs... and what makes it worse is when they're all on the same layer as most of the other garbage in the drawing... it just takes forever to delete them.

Yeah, plines certainly have their uses.
I isolate the layer, then pedit and join with window crossing.  very simple and quick

I do that, but sometimes, they decided the cloud had to break every time it crossed another object.  You're right though... it makes a really monotonous task a little easier to take.

JCTER

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
mpedit FTW

+fuzz factor

M-dub

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
Every solution that gets posted will eventually be shot down by some idiot who should not be cadding.  :)

JCTER

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
Every solution that gets posted will eventually be shot down by some idiot who should not be cadding.  :)
You met my boss, I take it.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »
mpedit FTW

+fuzz factor

I still use the pljoin function included in the Expresstools from R2000 .. fewer clicks and keystrokes
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

M-dub

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
You met my boss, I take it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you... he said something about flattening all of your drawings because "we print these drawings in 2D, not 3D".  I think he exploded all your blocks, too.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 04:15:49 PM »
Programatically (breaking crossing lines, breaking lines for inserting blocks, healing breaks) LINEs are easier to handle than PLINEs.  There's also a problem I see with PLINEs on P&IDs, where a line that goes horizontal then down needs to be modified so the down part is a branch.  Users will typically just run a new polyline starting at or ending at the corner rather than re-run the entire line.  So now that PLINE you are trying to work with (for example, add tracing graphics) that you *think* is just going across the page doesn't.   Or trying to snap to a mid-point or end only to find all colinear segments.  :doa:  Would rather just have lines to work with.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
There are pros & cons to both sides. The answer seems to be be accurate and keep yer drawings clean.
I drink beer and I know things....