Author Topic: Batch Plot PDF  (Read 8732 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Batch Plot PDF
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 07:55:11 PM »
Gary,
Almost all ActiveX properties return nil when you set them. As Ron pointed out, if you want to be sure it was set, inspect the property again. Or, in this case, go to your Options Dialog and look under the Print/Plot Tab and see what if new path shows there.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »
Gary,
Almost all ActiveX properties return nil when you set them. As Ron pointed out, if you want to be sure it was set, inspect the property again. Or, in this case, go to your Options Dialog and look under the Print/Plot Tab and see what if new path shows there.

Jeff

Thanks, I did not know that. It appears in the options dialog box now, however the PDF plot files are still going to the default folder
on my c drive. I know I am doing something wrong, just cannot fiqure it out.

Gary
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2006, 11:55:44 AM »
just curious....

Why don't simply use PUBLISH ?

I know, I should learn new tricks, I am just a dog you know.
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »
Gary,

Jeff

Thanks, I did not know that. It appears in the options dialog box now, however the PDF plot files are still going to the default folder
on my c drive. I know I am doing something wrong, just cannot fiqure it out.

Gary

This is for the plt file location. It appears not to work for the PDF's

sinc

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »
just curious....

Is it possible to batch-plot to PDF using PUBLISH?  Whenever I've used PUBLISH with a PDF generator, I get all pages added to one giant PDF.  This is different than creating 1 PDF per drawing.

I like using Page Setup Overrides to send sheet sets to PDF, but that has a weird problem that's similar.  In the SSM sheet set templates, I set the "Page Override File" to point to one of our templates (so Page Setup Overrides are already setup in every sheet set we create).  But when I use the DWG to PDF.PC3 with a Page Setup Override, the PDF goes into the parent directory of our Templates directory.  In other words, the location of the PDF is determined by the location of the Page Setup Override file, which is simply idiotic.  I haven't found any way to change this behavior - I've just gotten used to going to a really weird place to find my PDFs.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
just curious....

Is it possible to batch-plot to PDF using PUBLISH?  Whenever I've used PUBLISH with a PDF generator, I get all pages added to one giant PDF.  This is different than creating 1 PDF per drawing.

I like using Page Setup Overrides to send sheet sets to PDF, but that has a weird problem that's similar.  In the SSM sheet set templates, I set the "Page Override File" to point to one of our templates (so Page Setup Overrides are already setup in every sheet set we create).  But when I use the DWG to PDF.PC3 with a Page Setup Override, the PDF goes into the parent directory of our Templates directory.  In other words, the location of the PDF is determined by the location of the Page Setup Override file, which is simply idiotic.  I haven't found any way to change this behavior - I've just gotten used to going to a really weird place to find my PDFs.

Ok, I just tried Publish, and I don't like it. We do not save the Page Setup with the drawing. We move files around a lot
and plot to lazerjet, plotter, PDF's etc.

I am looking to control the plotting from a hard coded lisp/script approach. So far everything works perfectly, even for batch plotting,
except for the PDF's.

Gary

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
Gary,

Do you not use sheet set manager to do your plotting?

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 02:13:07 PM »
Gary,

It looks like the only way to do this is to change the .pc3 file.  I think this files holds the value for the save path of the pdfs, but it is an encrypted file, so unless one can decrypt it, I don't think you will be able to do what you want.  You will have to just live with plotting them to one location, and then moving them after you are done.  Sorry.   :cry:

If I'm wrong on any accounts here, please let me know.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 02:42:59 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/p6nub

Although I use PDF995.

Alan

Thanks. We have Adobe 6, do I need version 7 to see the "Adobe PDF output folder"?

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:xcnCghn9tkMJ:forums.cadalyst.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D4095+pdf+%22batch+plot%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11

Create a new Adobe PDF for Batch Plotting PC3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Create a new Adobe PDF for Batch Plotting PC3.
2. Type plot.
3. Select the new PC3.
4. Click on the Properties box to the right.
5. When the driver Dialog pops up Click on the Device and Document settings tab.
6. Half way down click on "Custom Properties."
7. Near the botton Click on the "Custom Properties" box that will appear.
8. A new dialog box titled "Adobe PDF Document Properties" will pop up.
9. Click on the "adobe PDF Settings" Tab.
10 You should see for setting with pulldowns to the right. Click on the third one down "Adobe PDF output Folder"
11. Select "My Documents\*.pdf"

Gary

Thanks

I was just hoping someone would have an answer for number 10 above.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
Gary,

Ron

Ron

I have never used Sheet Set Manager...will have to look into it.

We don't want to save the plot setting with the drawing, because I plot at home on a different setup and printer.

Gary

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 03:23:59 PM »
Gary,

Ron

Ron

We don't want to save the plot setting with the drawing, because I plot at home on a different setup and printer.

Gary

Gary,

You should really look into it. If you create a template file with all your pagsetups then all you have to do is add your drawings to a sheet setup and plot them using page setup overrides by pointing to your template. IMO the sheet set manager has been one of the best additions to AutoCAD.

Here is what a typical project of mine looks like:

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 03:31:12 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/p6nub

Although I use PDF995.

Alan

Thanks. We have Adobe 6, do I need version 7 to see the "Adobe PDF output folder"?

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:xcnCghn9tkMJ:forums.cadalyst.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D4095+pdf+%22batch+plot%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11

Create a new Adobe PDF for Batch Plotting PC3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Create a new Adobe PDF for Batch Plotting PC3.
2. Type plot.
3. Select the new PC3.
4. Click on the Properties box to the right.
5. When the driver Dialog pops up Click on the Device and Document settings tab.
6. Half way down click on "Custom Properties."
7. Near the botton Click on the "Custom Properties" box that will appear.
8. A new dialog box titled "Adobe PDF Document Properties" will pop up.
9. Click on the "adobe PDF Settings" Tab.
10 You should see for setting with pulldowns to the right. Click on the third one down "Adobe PDF output Folder"
11. Select "My Documents\*.pdf"

Gary

Tim

Just doubleclick on the pc3 file to bring up the Plotter Config Editor.

This is where you are should be able to do item number 10, but in my editor it does not show up for the following:

Gary

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »
Gary,

Ron

Ron

Gary

Gary,

You should really look into it. If you create a template file with all your pagsetups then all you have to do is add your drawings to a sheet setup and plot them using page setup overrides by pointing to your template. IMO the sheet set manager has been one of the best additions to AutoCAD.

Here is what a typical project of mine looks like:

Ron

Thanks again. I may need to read up on this one. I HATE plotting. I still want to hard code an inhouse solution. This kind of
reminds me of AutoCAD's "Reference Manager" which is too hard to use.

Gary

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »
I'm on 7 for Acrobat, so I don't know if you need to upgrade to get it, but it is easy in 7.  I was trying to say that there is no way in code to do it.  Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 05:28:56 PM »
I'm on 7 for Acrobat, so I don't know if you need to upgrade to get it, but it is easy in 7.  I was trying to say that there is no way in code to do it.  Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Tim

See if you can find this: "Adobe PDF output Folder" with Acrobat 7 (see dialog box for "Adobe PDF Doument Properties" in post above)

item #10 You should see for setting with pulldowns to the right. Click on the third one down "Adobe PDF output Folder"

Gary