Author Topic: 3D Usage ? ?  (Read 50207 times)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: 3D Usage ? ?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2006, 04:01:07 PM »
SketchUP has been Googled...

Google aquired @lastsoftware

http://www.sketchup.com/index.php?id=1439

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2006, 04:33:51 PM »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Jim Yadon

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »
That was very cool. So you say it was swallowed up by Google? That would explain the similarity I saw between the 3d city scape in the demo and the 3d buildings when you select that option with Google Earth. Combining Keyhole with Sketch-up doesn't seem to be a huge stretch but makes good business sense for that type of application. Just my assertion from observation though.

glee

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2006, 09:25:48 PM »
Just read that on another forum.  I wonder what that means for the future of 3D.
I've never used it.  I have seen what it can do and some examples and it looks cool. 

Doh, the video is cool.  I've been spending time learning Revit.  This looks easier to use.  If the details can really be generated like that, it'll be cool.  It's about $495 thereabouts?  Better than 4 grand. 
Anybody use it? 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 09:46:43 PM by glee »

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2006, 09:35:02 PM »
I had a shiver run up my spine when I heard "translate directly to design drawings"

Looks like a great concept tool !.  nice link MP.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

LE

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »
It is actually a very cool tool, BUT when you do not simple designs things are not going WELL per see...

I have version 3.0 and have not upgrade to 5.0 yet.... I downloaded the demo and run it on my PC and the same it FREEZE the PC, the same it does on V3....

Apart of that, you can do nice conceptual sketches.... like this one:

And the same I begin on Revit 8.1, and actually the same, you have to wait every time you open your project, and they even show to you a message about it....

I have very up-to-date PC's... so the memory or video or whatever is not an issue....

Regards,
Luis.

Correction: now I am adding just small portions of the whole 3D object.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 10:09:11 PM by LE »

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2006, 09:48:06 PM »
I had a play with SketchUp a year or so a go and it was a hoot to play with. This is an affordable tool that would be indespensible in an Architect/Design office for fleshing out designs very quickly for the client for concept approval. May have to have another look myself ;)
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

glee

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2006, 09:49:01 PM »
LE,
Cool designs.
Nice work.  You did that with sketch up? 
Buggy software makes you crash?  Would be nice if it could do all they show and be stable. 

glee

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2006, 09:50:23 PM »
I agree.  At 495, as a quick conceptual tool to test ideas, it would be great. 
The test would be to see if you could translate the stuff over to AutoCAD with reasonable accuracy.

LE

« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2006, 09:54:08 PM »
Cool designs.
Nice work.  You did that with sketch up? 
Buggy software makes you crash?  Would be nice if it could do all they show and be stable. 

Yes Glee, thanks.

I am an Architect.... and have to do design work on my day job....

It takes for ever to  generate all the different options [when you have a complex project].... if you do simple things it is just good as they show in the cool demo of them, that's simple....

glee

« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2006, 10:12:18 PM »
Maybe with google throwing their weight behind it, the software will get less buggy?
Wonder if the cost will skyrocket too. 
I'm always looking for a reasonably good stable proggy to do both simple and complex conceptual designs on, that can then be used to develop production drawings from.  Reason why I've been playing with Revit. 
Revit is nice but not that quick to figure out. 

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2006, 09:52:33 AM »
I had a play with SketchUp a year or so a go and it was a hoot to play with. This is an affordable tool that would be indespensible in an Architect/Design office for fleshing out designs very quickly for the client for concept approval. May have to have another look myself ;)

You hit the nail on the head here.  It's main function is for presenation of drawings.  Ok maybe that is what the main function for us is.  What it can't do is material takeoffs, but for how quick you can put together a presentation and sell a job, that is fine and dandy.

As for it being buggy.  I have a clean install on my computer (trail version still) and I have had no problems.  Basically I have a full version with a timer.

Being bought by google means a couple things.

1. Google can pour more money into it so they can get the integration with google earth a lot better.

2. Google will pour more money into development.  I know there are a lot of areas that need improving, but SketchUP 5 is a pretty well rounded and complete package.

cad-waulader

« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2006, 07:31:26 PM »
3D at work consists of:
AutoCAD solid models and, more often,
ProE to design mechanical parts. 

Personal interest in 3D consists of:
3D modeling of land contours, buildings, construction details,
for that AutoCAD 2004 and 3dStudiomax 5 are on hand. 

cad-waulader

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2006, 07:40:19 PM »
These are school projects drawn in autocad 2004.  (The Gantvoort residence by John Lautner) the rendered image was done with studiomax, the axonometric is autocad. 
And Greg, your move. 

Didge

• Bull Frog
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2006, 09:30:50 AM »
Yes (as often as I can get away with) mainly for the UK water industry.

Unfortunately persuading Engineers seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome, sadly responses such as "we don't want any of that fancy gaming stuff on our projects" is all too familiar.

Ironically, it usually takes a just single 3D project to convince them.
Think Slow......