Author Topic: 3D Usage ? ?  (Read 49292 times)

SDETERS

Re: 3D Usage ? ?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 08:41:58 AM »
Good answers Cadaver

A couple more questions if you do not mind.

How often do you touch this model once you are finished with it?

The parts you model are they standard parts?  tubing, C channels I-Beams, ECT.

After each time you change the Autocad model do you have to reload and re mesh your model back into your FEA package?  Or do you only do it once?

I do not know anything about Risea so I do not know how it interacts with Autocad.

"oh i can pick up a lot of new tricks, I lust have no need to drop a bundle on new software to do it.
Those who say it can't be done are a constant source of amusement to those of us doing it anyway."

I never said it could not be done.  I think there is software out there that is quicker and better for modeling 3D than Autocad.  What you are doing works for you.  I am happy for you.  There is alot of software out there that is expensive and cheap.  You have to make the best of what you can afford and what your final output is.  I would like to post a 3D model of what I do but I can not. Sorry

Thanks for all the feed back

Good information
This is why this place is the best forum I have ever been to.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:56:57 AM by SDETERS »

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 09:57:15 AM »
Just found this post cause I'm not interested.

I was just at a training session yesterday for a program called SketchUp.

Nice program and should help my company with presentation drawings.  It should be fun becoming proficient on 2 systems.

Anyone else hear of SketchUp?

pmvliet

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 10:41:55 AM »
Over 10 years ago, I was doing 3D in r12 for DOS with the AME modeling package. I drew a go-cart for my final drawing for my 3D class. Everything I drew from the engine, rims, wheels, steering wheel, frame, seat etc...

I had a guy come up to me and say "I can't draw a 3D spiral (think corn auger). I said it's easy and a few minutes later I rendered an image for him.

I then worked for a weather protection/enviromental containment company and drew entirely in 2D/3D. Basically whatever we had to cover, I would create a 3D model and then enclose it with our system.
But we also had to detail out the farbic and that was done in 2D.
It was a mix of both worlds and it worked very well.

Pieter

pmvliet

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »
sketchup is a neat program. You may want to keep your eyes out for Vespa (I think that is how it is spelt).
That is the code name  for the software that AutoDesk will be releasing at some point and it is very much like sketchup.

Pieter

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2006, 11:00:36 AM »
sketchup is a neat program. You may want to keep your eyes out for Vespa (I think that is how it is spelt).
That is the code name  for the software that AutoDesk will be releasing at some point and it is very much like sketchup.

Pieter

I don't use AutoCAD and if its from AutoDesk the program will probably cost somewhere in the line of $3k per seat.

LE

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2006, 11:06:09 AM »
Greg;

I have SketchUP... I have done just one 3D and after that, have not even been able to download the latest release....

In the new release images I have seen of a2007, they appear to implement some features that sketchup has....

I have not being able to play anymore  :-(

I will try to upload an image showing the 3D and rendering....

Jim Yadon

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »
SDETERS, com'on man... I wanna know what software you were referring to. I am eager to check it out. If my sarcasm cut earlier I apologize but I'd REALLY like to see something that is better. Really, really.

SDETERS

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »
We use autocad for legacy 2D data only

I do not know how to post an image like Cadaver did.

We use I-Deas  it has 3D modeling, Assembly, 2D drafting, mechanism design and all kinds of CAE CAM plus FEA.  But it is going to be come obsolete in a few years and merge with Unigraphics.

Expensive software yes!  We create our own parts.  We take our 3D models and have Prototypes and production tooling for aluminum die castings cut from these models.  Great software for our needs. 

Does everyone need this software no.  You have to choose what you want to do in 3D and choose the correct way to go.

This image is not as nice as Cadaver had but it is ok

This is a sheet metail part.  All Walls are of uniform thickness per sheet metall standards.  Check it out Please
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/images/3D_IMAGE.JPG
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 01:44:23 PM by SDETERS »

Jim Yadon

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2006, 04:26:16 PM »
Very nice piece of work. I use a software that is the woodworkers equivalent of BIM. The installation at my current place of work was not done very well by my predecessor (after I complete the project I'm on I've been tasked with replacing it with a functioning installation) but here's a combination of 3d and the products that are working with the BIM type software. The white are the Products. Completely parametric in almost every way. I can call them into any job as needed. This was why I asked about ACAD being obsolete.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2006, 04:33:18 PM »
So does the top really get built through the wall like that?

Jim Yadon

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2006, 05:05:10 PM »
So does the top really get built through the wall like that?

;) By design it's supposed to look like it does, but no it is actually a bit of value engineering that makes it look so while being more cost effective. Especially at $100 s.f. for material.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »
Nice!

CADaver

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2006, 10:18:09 PM »
How often do you touch this model once you are finished with it?
Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.  We have clients that use us to keep their models up-to-date, in that case we revise them whenever the need arises. Other clients prefer to maintain their own files, in which case we may never see the files again.  During the project cycle (2 months to 2 years) we manipulate the models everyday.

The parts you model are they standard parts?  tubing, C channels I-Beams, ECT.
Those are "standard" shapes, but we build them parametrically when needed.  We don't keep a library of standard "blocks" for those elements.

After each time you change the Autocad model do you have to reload and re mesh your model back into your FEA package?  Or do you only do it once?
Usually we do a very preliminary FEA model for preliminary sizing.  The, due to the rapid development of the design phase, we use the CAD model to track changes as they occur and reserve a final run for later in the project.  At that time we have the software re-create the FEA model.

I never said it could not be done.  I think there is software out there that is quicker and better for modeling 3D than Autocad. 
not for the price, availability, compatibility, flexibility and user base. 

With over 300 users, cost is a real concern.  A difference of just a few hundred dollars per seat becomes a major capital expenditure very fast.

Our product is based on the most popular (right or wrong) CAD software on the market, and as such is vastly more compatible with a wider range of contractors and clients.

Even the smallest local college offers classes in AutoCAD.  When we had need of additional operators, it is MUCH easier to fill that need than if we were using a different software.

As for quicker, I can only say that the only competitor we had in this area that used I-Dea could not produce the desired results in the time frame required.  After several years of attempting to keep p, they finally folded up their tents and moved on.  Their problem may have been lack of experience with the software or poor training or the cost of the software limited they user base, I don't know.  About a dozen of the guys that worked for them came to work for us, and after some re-training have worked out quite nicely.

SDETERS

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2006, 02:12:14 PM »
"can only say that the only competitor we had in this area that used I-Deas could not produce the desired results in the time frame required"

Cmon you and I know that the software is not the only thing that makes or breaks a company.  I do not care what kind of drafting or modeling packages one uses it does not break or make the company.   :angel:

Like I said we do alot of die castings.  Many boolean operation like cut subtract, joins adds, loft, Sweeps, Variational Sweeps and such.   If you can show me that autocad is up to par with the rest of the high end 3D packages in 3D filleting I will be very impressed.  THis is where I spend alot of my time when basic shape of the part is complete.  3D filleting is a nightmare. 

"With over 300 users, cost is a real concern.  A difference of just a few hundred dollars per seat becomes a major capital expenditure very fast."

Yes that is why you use Autocad.  IT works for your needs.  We have about couple dozen users

"Even the smallest local college offers classes in AutoCAD.  When we had need of additional operators, it is MUCH easier to fill that need than if we were using a different software."

This is where we struggle.  We have to send out most any new designer we get.  So we hire them then send them off to class for a week.  Which once they come back and model for about a year then they leave.  Then the process starts all over.  So they do Autocad work for the first month and then 3D modifications and small models after that.  Most people that come in here knows PRO-E.  So we have to re teach.   :realmad:

spider

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »
what's the use of perametrics when half of people using it don't know how to use it.  I LOVEthe ease of creating features in CATIA and UG, but when you get someone elses model that you have to modify....sometimes you might as well turn it dumb and start from scratch.

Right now i use CADKey and even tho i get pissed at it from time to time, it sure surves it's purpose. I remember typing things in the comand line (autocad) back in highschool, and even though i got puirty fast at it it can't beat my short cut keys E ->line, T->TRIM, X-> ROTATE.....(and tons more).  With one hand on the  mouse and the other on the left side of keyboard, drawing becomes a breeze (even in 3d)

https://www.kubotekusa.com/products/demos/