Author Topic: WTF .. Paid membership at AUGI ??  (Read 15361 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: WTF .. Paid membership at AUGI ??
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
nah .. but it is correct
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
I understand what you are saying and have been there plenty of times where I had no idea where to even start or what question ask. It has nothing to do with intelligence but just lack knowledge and everyone has been there at that point.  It would be nice if instead of RTFM more experienced people would help guide them to asking the correct question.

On the other hand I personally do not understood why people would let themselves get upset or care. Everyone one is biased how they view things but for me if I start focusing on how I thought the information was delivered instead of the content I begin viewing the information even more biased and might be missing useful information.
I always thought it was a good skill to focus on content instead of personalities and for example anytime I have to deal with a huge a 'ahole' I try to go in with the mindset like it is the first time I ever met the person.

I do not care if the person calls me names, talks down to me, etc.., but as long as it contains useful content I will continuing reading it.(As for name calling with the exception of anything to do with my son, dog, or Guns N roses, and alanjt if you are reading this I have not forgotten your comment on August 11, 2011, @ 03:58:30 pm and you are still on my murder list.)

I guess I just do not understand why people just do not look at information, pick out what might be useful, try to look at it unbiased, then move on.

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
... and alanjt if you are reading this I have not forgotten your comment on August 11, 2011, @ 03:58:30 pm and you are still on my murder list.)

haha ... you know he is wrong

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »
I agree with you, Jeff... There are many times when I should have just moved along, and instead ended up contributing to the drama. While I am human (i.e., far from perfect), I usually follow my brief 'Consider <this idea>' post with 'you really should start RTFM'... Especially so, after a few similarly remedial posts, where I know that I've offered links to the documentation, etc..

There's absolutely something to be said for the noble idea of 'if you're not going to contribute, guide, offer a constructive opinion, etc. then move along'... The other side of that coin, is for someone who's reputation for knowledge, sound advice, wisdom, etc. precedes them, intentionally posting RTFM.

Entirely dependent upon the recipient, the latter _can_ have an equally strong impact in many (obviously not all) situations.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
Are they still pushing for people to volunteer to help with running the thing?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:59 AM »
Adding my thoughts to this now...
I am generally a "sensitive" person, but I have long thought of theswamp as my home. Yes there are some members here that I find quite intimidating, but I think thats more for the fact of the vast amount of knowledge they have... rather than a personality issue.

Some people on forums (not so much here thankfully) seem to forget that everyone has to start learning CAD/programming or whatever at some point... and some people learn slower than others. Despite the fact I love to read, I really cannot RTFM to learn a language, theres simply too much that I "think" should be explained so I understand it... (mainly the why do it like that). Then I get stuck, and I dont like to appear dumb, so I give up :( 

Personally I think theswamp has changed, but to me, this seemed to happen around the time the economy tanked... and it seems like people are more worried about their job(s) to have the time to hang out and have fun like they used to. Pressures of real life will pass over into forum life.  I long for the comradeship of theswamp as it was when I first joined.... but who knows, when people have less pressures in their real lives, they might be able to find more time to hang out here and really get to know other members again.

OK, enough with the inane rambling on... I really ought to get on with my work  :-o
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »
slacker ;-)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
slacker ;-)
LOL...
Just dont tell the boss :lmao:
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »
It would be nice if instead of RTFM more experienced people would help guide them to asking the correct question.
That would be wonderful. I think i'll take up that challenge too. :)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
It would be nice if instead of RTFM more experienced people would help guide them to asking the correct question.
That would be wonderful. I think i'll take up that challenge too. :)

Thats where I started with my "stupid question" questions.  Getting the OP asking themselves a few of the more detailed questions gives them a push in the right direction, if they don't already have the right answer to the wrong question.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}