Author Topic: WTF .. Paid membership at AUGI ??  (Read 15571 times)

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
Re: WTF .. Paid membership at AUGI ??
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »
What I find different is that I don't see threads I'm qualified to answer or respond to in CAD forums much at all any more.  That's interesting, to me.  Hadn't much considered it before now, though.

I don't see too many that I am willing to jump in and offer assistance because I just don't care to get involved in a flame war over something silly like what naming convention someone uses or how they should have used a single setq with multiple vars instead of having one for each variable.

In the end it doesn't matter enough to worry about it and quite honestly is silly and petty to argue over.
Maybe I've missed recent flame wars.

For professional-related threads, I typically just jump in, provide the "here's what I do" answer, and leave it at that.  I try not to get drug into debates in professional sections.

I've just found that the vast majority of professional questions seems to be programming related and I honestly am not qualified to help, and have no interest in the subject anymore - I'm fine with OOTB stuff and non-programmatic customizations - it's better for my blood pressure. :lol:

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »
I meant "preach"
Oh, like

in the "pissing contest" extent, not just "here's what I do because I think it's best"
this kind
and leaving it at that.  I meant the goal of going after dissenting or differing comments with anything
of
more than curiosity.
stuff?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Hey?! I was just in a `naming convention' discussion...you a55!?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
:P

and so you were ... or at least you provided some links and quite valuable information to someone if they care to follow a well established naming convention. nothing worng with that ...

but when the flaming starts because some elitist thinks their naming convention is better, then all bets are off.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
I meant "preach"
Oh, like

in the "pissing contest" extent, not just "here's what I do because I think it's best"
this kind
and leaving it at that.  I meant the goal of going after dissenting or differing comments with anything
of
more than curiosity.
stuff?
I thought you misunderstood me and sought to clarify my statement.  Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:31 PM »
I really think there should be a better naming-convention for name-calling.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
There is Jeff H. Camel case except for first character and every third word.

Like: Jeff H, youAreAnidiot.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
There is Jeff H. Camel case except for first character and every third word.

Like: Jeff H, youAreAnidiot.

Actually just because you claim the first and every third word is not capitalized still does not negate the first word being counted so it should be
youAreanIdiot.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
*sIgH*

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Birdy

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
....I've just found that the vast majority of professional questions seems to be programming related and I honestly am not qualified to help, and have no interest in the subject anymore ....
I agree with the first part of that statement.  As for the second, I have the interest, but wish I could find the time to develop those skills.
FWIW, it seems like most all of my posts are politics/religion/etc. and though I try hard not to 'flame' or antagonize anyone I may miss that mark on occasion.  For that, I apologize.  The upside is you all have greatly helped me sharpen my debating, critical thinking, and research skills.  For that I say thanks!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
... it is starting to feel like VBDesign shortly before Randall and Marie shut it down.
I don't see that at all.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
... it is starting to feel like VBDesign shortly before Randall and Marie shut it down.
I don't see that at all.

That is unfortunate ...
While there are still many folks who contribute willingly, sadly there have been many who stopped coming and contributing ... although they are still do cad work.

For reasons they won't discuss publicly, they have decided to call it quits on theswamp. I've heard rumblings from some others as well.

There was one that left just recently .. entirely due to the vitriolic nature of some of the posts. I suppose if they had wanted to tell you personally they would have, or maybe they felt intimidated.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »
Some folks just get burned out! Others can't handle the whole 'online' thing very well.

There was one that left just recently .. entirely due to the vitriolic nature of some of the posts. I suppose if they had wanted to tell you personally they would have, or maybe they felt intimidated.
Who was it? I never heard a thing about it.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »
I don't discount the fact that some folks get burned out or that some just don't really understand the nature of an internet forum.

That being said, shouldn't we seek to foster something better than the average forum? We have some of the best AutoCAD and programming minds in the world and yet we still can't seem to answer questions from folks who obviously don't know how or can't find the answer elsewhere without pummelling them with things like "did you bother to do a web search" or "I'm not even going to try and help you because you didn't do <this> to my liking"

Seriously .. the whole point of having a forum is to help others and discuss problems to find solutions. Beating up on the poor sap who is struggling doesn't paint a very good first impression.

Many of the folks here also frequent other forums .. and I've seen it more than once where someone will post a question on forum x and then post the same question here, hoping that somone would recognize the issue and provide some guidance, but instead all they get is grief because they dared post the same question in more than one forum ... and while some who visit multiple sites might take that as not giving anyone time to help resolve their problem, I see it as covering all your bases ... after all, if every question could be answered on any given forum, then we wouldn't need more than one. I don't know what forums everyone visits nor how often, so it is reasonable that the question will not get answered in one or more of the locations in any given time frame.

We have GOT to do better.

I'll not identify the person who left. If you do some very limited research, it will show up.

JNieman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »

oops... was that crass?