Author Topic: AutoCAD for Mac ..... donalds  (Read 15239 times)

sinc

Re: AutoCAD for Mac ..... donalds
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
Once upon a time, it was possible to write stuff on the Mac, and have it simply run on a PC.  That was back when EOF/WebObjects had a PC version.  But I got the impression that Microsoft was not very cooperative with Apple on the endeavor, and it was too difficult to make the cleaner Unix-based design work in the messy Windows environment.  The solution was too cohesive, and too susceptible to problems created by every little change to Windows, so Apple dropped it.

It might be easier these days, now that Microsoft is using the CLI as their paradigm.

StefanDidak

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Back of the napkin here, but
100 developers at $200 hr (salary, benefits, etc.)
Oh dang, look what you've done, now there's ink all over the napkin. Here, let met get you a new one... :-)

On the fresh napkin you might want to take into consideration the economic (and often technical) disaster called outsourcing to low-wage (or slavery, depending on your perspective) countries. You're assuming Autodesk did their own porting and development. Adjusted numbers on the new napkin would likely be, oh, 50 to 75% less, on average.

pkohut

• Bull Frog
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
Back of the napkin here, but
100 developers at $200 hr (salary, benefits, etc.)
Oh dang, look what you've done, now there's ink all over the napkin. Here, let met get you a new one... :-)

On the fresh napkin you might want to take into consideration the economic (and often technical) disaster called outsourcing to low-wage (or slavery, depending on your perspective) countries. You're assuming Autodesk did their own porting and development. Adjusted numbers on the new napkin would likely be, oh, 50 to 75% less, on average.

The AU GoGo Dancers can use my napkin as pasties, who probably get paid more per hour than the outsourced developers.
New tread (not retired) - public repo at https://github.com/pkohut

sinc

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
AU GoGo dancers...?

I didn't see any of those last year.  But of course, the entertainment for the final bash at last year's AU was karaoke...   :lol:

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
. . .

Strong evidence of this is the CUI editor. From the beginning it was not of this world.
A thousand monkeys at a thousand computers for a thousand years couldn't come up with something that bad.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

StefanDidak

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
Strong evidence of this is the CUI editor. From the beginning it was not of this world.
A thousand monkeys at a thousand computers for a thousand years couldn't come up with something that bad.
The GUI editor? And here I thought the API docs and their very specific 'use' of grammar were! :-)

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
The GUI editor? And here I thought the API docs and their very specific 'use' of grammar were! :-)

Not GUI, CUI as in Criminally Unusable Interface.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

sinc

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
It was "criminally unusable" for the first few releases, but I don't think it still qualifies for that moniker.  It's still got problems in 2011, but it's much better than it was.

There were always seeds of a good idea in there.  It's the implementation that blew it way off into bizarro world...   :-o

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
This link is get to bottom of which is safer mac or windows if you trust Cnet

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10444561-245.html

Some of the quotes come from college professors and I went to a couple of the college's website and the professors do work there if that helps.

Quote from one of the security experts
Eric Johanson, security researcher: "If you look at the number of published vulnerabilities in software and the number of users and compare Windows versus Mac OS you will discover that Mac OS has far more published vulnerabilities per user than Windows does so I think the data pretty much speaks for itself."

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
IMO most of the Mac and Windows users dont have a clue as to what they are doing or how to use a computer (read: should have their computers taken away from them) so those numbers dont mean squat to me.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
People who will buy macs to use AutoCAD:

IT nerds and Architects...

I thought nerds were good at computer stuff

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

Well, yes.  But they are not immune to "I am right.  I know I am right and you can't tell me different." once they get something in their head.  Maybe even more so, since they are used to being right or the sole source of information on a subject.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »

nah, Nerds just think they are good.

If an IT nerd bought a Mac to do IT stuff, i would have to slap them silly; BSD is so much better.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »
Well, it would make the life of a desk jockey a little more interesting if they released an AutoCAD for the Wii.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »
I've done NavisWorks presentations with a Logitech Air mouse... close enough?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}