Author Topic: AfraLISP v2.0 Launches  (Read 10167 times)

CADTutor

AfraLISP v2.0 Launches
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:24 AM »
Some of you may remember that a few years ago (wow! 4 years ago) I rescued AfraLISP after Kenny decided he'd had enough: see this thread for details. At the time my only intention was to keep the site online as it had become a much-used resource. A few months ago I decided I must do something to bring AfraLISP into the 21st Century and resolve a few browser problems (some text couldn't be read in FireFox etc.).

The new site is now online, still at www.afralisp.net and I'm about half way through converting Kenny's original tutorials. The whole of the original site is still online as an archive and I've no intention of removing it until all the content is available through the new design.

OK, so why am I posting?

1. I'd like to get some feedback on the new site design.
2. I'd like to know how you think the site should develop in the future. There was a suggestion in the original thread that a Wiki on AutoCAD programming would be a good idea. I could easily set this up but I'd need help in creating the content. Do Kenny's tutorials need updating/suplementing? If so, could anyone help with that. Maybe some new tutorials are needed - there's nothing on VB.NET for example.

Any feedback would be useful.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: AfraLISP v2.0 Launches
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:41:33 AM »
It might be a nightmare from a maintenance standpoint but what about allowing user comments to each tutorial page? Think blog.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:18:02 AM »
....AutoLISP is one of a number of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) built into AutoCAD but it is probably...

should read

...AutoLISP is one of a number of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) built into AutoCAD and Bricscad but it is probably....

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:34:38 AM »
I practically lived on Afralisp for a year learning lisp. What I liked about the site was the main page had all the links.
The google add takes way too much space..
And the self portrait.. can we have one of you?

Anyway all joking aside..Thank you for keeping it alive!

CADTutor

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
It might be a nightmare from a maintenance standpoint but what about allowing user comments to each tutorial page? Think blog.

Yes, I could to that but I've resisted the temptation (even at CADTutor) - maybe when I retire and I've nothing better to do! The problem is that the original author is no longer involved and it isn't easy for me to respond to comments (particularly as some of it is over my head!). But I agree that building some user interaction into the site would be good - a wiki seems to be the favourite option at the moment.

CADTutor

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
The google add takes way too much space..
And the self portrait.. can we have one of you?

Anyway all joking aside..Thank you for keeping it alive!

Of course all sites would be better without ads (I really respect Mark for keeping the Swamp ad free) but good hosting costs money and I figured better to have it online with some ads than not.

I will consider a self protrait but I'm not sure it would be as good as Kenny's  :-D

Oh, and you're right, I should mention the IntelliCAD versions that also include AutoLISP.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:08 AM »
Let's hear it for David keeping AfraLisp alive.

Hip Hip Hooray!
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

CADTutor

Broken AutoLISP Links
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »
Mark, one thing I meant to flag up is that there are a number of broken links on your AutoLISP Links page (http://www.theswamp.org/vlisp.html). I was checking them when looking for good links to add to AfraLISP.

If anyone knows of really useful AutoCAD programming links that should be added, please let me know by posting here.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
Design: I think Kenny would really like it. The color scheme fits his personality. But you need to put at least one beer can pic in there.

Develop: I think we should regroup some of the categories. -e.g. (i was just clicking around) move the `mapcar-lambda' tut to either the beginner or intermediate category.  Kenny was no programmer, he was a hacker and he wrote down what he needed to learn in the order he needed to learn it not necessarily in the order everyone else should need to learn it.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

wizman

• Bull Frog
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
Thanks for maintaining Afralisp.  New design looks Good, also I've just noticed the tip of the day section, a rss feed perhaps might be a good addition or i just missed it.

CADTutor

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
Design: I think Kenny would really like it. The color scheme fits his personality. But you need to put at least one beer can pic in there.

Yes, I purposely, matched the original colour scheme and hope it conveys the same "personality" - maybe over time I will introduce some beer stains.  :-D
Develop: I think we should regroup some of the categories. -e.g. (i was just clicking around) move the `mapcar-lambda' tut to either the beginner or intermediate category.  Kenny was no programmer, he was a hacker and he wrote down what he needed to learn in the order he needed to learn it not necessarily in the order everyone else should need to learn it.

Very good point. I've just used the original order but I can easily change that to be more logical. Maybe I'll ask for a review when all the tutorials are done.

CADTutor

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks for maintaining Afralisp.  New design looks Good, also I've just noticed the tip of the day section, a rss feed perhaps might be a good addition or i just missed it.

Another good idea. Currently I only have 13 tips in the system - I need to do more but I will add an RSS feed when there are enough tips to justify one.

Perhaps I need a section where people can contribute tips?

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »
Just throwing a big thank you out there to both you and Kenny.  Without AfraLISP (and of course the Swamp), I wouldn't be the slightly knowledgeable LISP'er I am today.  Very well put together tutorials, highly recommended.

curmudgeon

• Newt
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »
THANK YOU, AND MANY THANKS TO KENNY.

Afralisp was a wonderful source for the self taught. Without Kenny, I would never have known there was a set command. One day I will understand it long enough to write it into some code. Don't hold your breath.

I was one that would reset Firefox colours so that Afralisp would read correctly - then my wife would get online when I wasn't looking. The results were never pretty. Thank you.

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »
then my wife would get online when I wasn't looking. The results were never pretty. Thank you.

I remember that. I was browsing AfraLISP, then went to give my daughter a bath. While in bathroom, I hear my wife say "What the hell is wrong with the computer!!?!!"
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox