Author Topic: Tales from the CAD Manager's desk  (Read 24450 times)

Shinyhead

Re: Tales from the CAD Manager's desk
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
I cant tell you the number of times we have heard that one of our clients would love to learn how to set things up the way we do. They would love to get training from us, onsite support to make the transition, etc.
But when they realize we would like to actually get paid to do any of that...  well, we have not had too many takers yet.  Not many are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 09:34:05 AM »
yeah...I suppose that is more likely the case.  I should have though of how I'd react to it.

Me...I'd ask questions and try to figure it out on my own to save a few bucks.

Oh well.

(ponder)(now where to put my next post)(ponder)

nivuahc

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
And maybe that company will asked to contract someone out to teach them all the cool stuff you can do.

Funny you should say that...

I'm headed off to a meeting with our business manager to discuss my upcoming trip to New York. I'm flying out on Monday and returning on Friday. I'm, evidently, to go to the clients office and "get their sh!z in order".

Somebody pinch me.  :kewl:

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »
I'm headed off to a meeting with our business manager to discuss my upcoming trip to New York. I'm flying out on Monday and returning on Friday. I'm, evidently, to go to the clients office and "get their sh!z in order".
Have fun!! I hope you get through to them.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

nivuahc

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Have fun!! I hope you get through to them.

Well my meeting went well...

Evidently, I'm going there to try and make heads or tails out of what they are doing, where they are getting their information, how that information is being parsed out to the proper people, and setting up a system to make it all work. And then I'm taking it back home and we're going to do it ourselves.

I'm both extremely excited and a wee bit nervous. This means that the burden of responsibility shifts completely onto our shoulders. I'm actually just fine with that and prefer it. I'm confident in our group of people to do what needs to be done, and to do it right. I know it's going to create more work, up front, for us... but it really is the way things should have happened from the beginning. I'm probably not going to be a very popular guy in New York but it is what it is.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
you might want to leave the 'I'm taking this all with me when I leave' OUT of anyconversation you have in NY.  Just to make sure you can.   :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

nivuahc

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 07:48:46 AM »
So, I'm back from the client's job site...

What a miserable week it's been.

The good news; well, we can pretty much do what we want with our drawings, on our end of things. My users can continue to utilize Sheet Set Manager to keep them organized and happy. And it looks like I'll be developing CAD Standards for, not only our office, but their office as well. They love the things that I've done and seem happy to let me guide them (other than Sheet Set Manager, which they think is hawt, but believe that their users won't be able to figure it out so they just won't use it).

The bad news; I had an idea of this, heading out there, but didn't really get how much it impacted our work until now. There are people on site who have a vested interest in seeing us fail. Unfortunately, some of those people control the information that we need to do our job properly. Getting up-to-date information, updated drawings from the different trades, and updated submittals is going to be a nightmare.

Now the client realizes that this is a problem for us. And they want to make it right. Part of what I did while I was up there was to put together a procedures manual for the sharing of information. The intent is to get the client to sign off on it and enact it as law. They've asked to have someone from our group (me, initially) move up there and act as a document control manager for them. Well that's just not going to work. Not just because I have no desire (whatsoever) to live in that state (they would have to pay me a ginormous amount of money to even consider it) it's not quite as simple as "put someone in place to do the job".

And I can imagine what sorts of questions you might be asking yourself...

"Why doesn't he just take the job?"
"Why doesn't he just go up there, temporarily, to see the project through?"
"Why don't they just send someone else from your company to do it?"
"Hell, why doesn't he just contact the different trades himself and get those updated drawings and information on his own?"

One word: Unions

Simply put, we're not a union shop, they all are. We're not allowed to communicate with them and, if we tried, we'd get nothing but the cold shoulder (and our client would get a ton of political backlash from it).

See, the mindset of most of the people that I talked to while I was up there was "milk this project for as long as possible, regardless of how much it costs, as long as I'm getting a paycheck". Because, evidently, it's almost impossible to fire someone who is in the union.

My mindset, and the mindset of the group that I'm working with, is "do the best job that we can, at as little a cost to our client as possible, so that they'll continue to feed us additional projects".

Do you see how those two mindsets conflict with one another?

And it's not as simple as telling the client "Hey, we're not getting updated information from your people" because the people who are checking our work... well, they're the same people who are controlling the flow of vital pieces of information. The same people who have a vested interest in seeing us fail.

So, as it stands right now, unless the client agrees to the document control procedures that I've written up, and unless they make someone (an on-site union someone) accountable for getting us the information that we need, and unless they actually enforce the following of those procedures, I'll be happy to have a job in the next couple of weeks, along with everyone else on our team.

I did drink more alcohol on this trip than I have in the past year, so at least I have that.

Bob Garner

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
Well, I think you did a DAMN good job with what you had to work with.  My compliments to you!

Bob G.

nivuahc

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 10:21:05 AM »
Thanks, Bob.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »
Where is "up there?" Quite a few people here are looking for work.  Might it make sense to hire a person who isn't a complete screw-up and can grasp what you're doing to be the on-site person for the duration?

nivuahc

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 05:44:21 PM »
New Yawk

Bob Wahr

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
Figured New York or New Jersey.  Ran into that union attitude some surveying around there.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:59 PM »
New Yawk

Not a problem....I think I've just the right(wrong) attitude for those folks...send me on up there.  ;-)

That and document Date:Time stamp all Request for Information....perhaps even send copies of same to everyone, even IF they do not have the data...then everyone will know you are after it. :|
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:17:08 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MattHar

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2010, 01:55:46 AM »
I truly feel your pain. I am also finding my self in a similar conflicting moment with a client. We hand out a CD set of drawings with each submittal to be check for compliance to the clients standards. They failed our submittal because we used Annotative text for multiple viewports over the floorplans for multiple buildings, and she said, "if i don't understand it i don't want it on my drawings." Which meant for our department to break apart each section of the floorplan and adjust the text to show correctly on the layout. Beguiled by her ignorance I then went to ask, what about clipping xref's... which totally screwed us... it meant we had to change our Xref system, (which previously had a master file with several sections designated for individual layouts) because she didn't understand what XCLIP does.... so on and so forth... pain in the ass now but saves us our next failure... at least i hope, now to satisfy them we had to revert back to the way things were done in r12....

and she told us we were unprofessional....

how ignorant....

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
That is total unbeliavable Matthar.   :-o  But I do run across simialr stories "but milder" but I have never run across the atidude as that.  Thoght my boss has moments like that but just back to R2000.   :evil:  :-D

BTW Welcome to TheSwamp!
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans