Author Topic: Tales from the CAD Manager's desk  (Read 24452 times)

nivuahc

Re: Tales from the CAD Manager's desk
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »
The biggest tip(s) i will offer is to use a batch script for downloading and uploading your drawings to the ftp server.
Already on it. There's no way I plan to sit here and do it manually.

And to use network standards not local ones.
That was the first thing that I did, actually. The only local thing I have setup is that my main routine checks for an existence of acaddoc.lsp in the (strcat (getvar "ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX") "Support\\") folder (which isn't there by default). It then copies one to their hard drive that contains a routine to put everything back to normal when they lose their network connection (it happens every now and then).

Provide your people with TOOLS (palettes, dashboard, stuff) not blocks and word documents.
On this bit, I agree. And that's basically what I do. But I also have a habit of explaining everything (too much at times) so that everyone (hopefully) understands it. For instance, I wrote a routine that creates conduit rack cross section drawings, spacing the conduits out for them, eliminating the need for them to look up spacings on a chart. I think the PDF I put together to explain it (complete with screenshots of the tool in action) was ~14 pages.  :oops:

My PDF on Sheet Set Manager was ~22 pages.  :oops:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
there should be no reason to replicate network drive letters....Hello RELATIVE paths

unless of course you are using data shortcuts or similar that CANT use relative paths
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

nivuahc

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 01:33:28 PM »
there should be no reason to replicate network drive letters....Hello RELATIVE paths

unless of course you are using data shortcuts or similar that CANT use relative paths

except that THEY use full path instead of relative and it just so happened to work out that we both had the same drive letter setup already.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »

except that THEY use full path instead of relative and it just so happened to work out that we both had the same drive letter setup already.

could be that introducing them to the benefits of RELATIVE pathing are in order  .. or NOT
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

nivuahc

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:46 PM »

could be that introducing them to the benefits of RELATIVE pathing are in order  .. or NOT

Dude... they're confused about attributes.   :?

I'm taking the advice of a former boss on this one.

"When you've got an entire elephant to eat, you just eat it one bite at a time."

All of our XRef's are relative pathed. I'm just going to leave it at that (for now, at least) and see what comes of it. If I don't get a panic call from their CAD Manager about all of our missing xref's, I'll consider it a closed book.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »
they WONT be missing any XREF's and that IS exactly the point of using relative pathing

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
why are you focusing on xref paths? there are many solutions for dealing with paths. -e.g. put in the "project name" var in all the drawings just in case.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »
they WONT be missing any XREF's and that IS exactly the point of using relative pathing

Right now with Coca Cola project I am on and with having whole range of design/engineering/process/rat consultants spread all over the US and a couple of other continents, we use relative path and a designated folder path structure and we still have a xref go missing from time to time.  And then we have people crying "I thought relative pathing was suppose not alow this to happen.  Yadaa Yadaa.   Please I can figure out who is a bigger moron the person crying or the person that did not follow the rules to the exact letter and punctuation.

So your statement above is not entire true.  using relative pathing is not a silver bullet becuase people are people.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 02:14:01 PM »
Right.  If people don't want to learn, you can't make them.  Legally at least   :angel:
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »
Right.  If people don't want to learn, you can't make them.  Legally at least   :angel:
What do you think lobster bait is?   :wink:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
In THEORY

unless of course they (______________) insert something totally lame, and well than ALL BETS are OFF irrespective of what your standards , or drive mappings are.

Happy Now?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Happy Now?
Not until 4:30 and I twist off with a Capt Elis.  :wink:

MY frustration is not with you but your statement.  I have heard it too much the past two years.  :x

nivuahc

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »
Well I just got some refreshing news...

Seems like the Project Manager was able to convey a lot of our frustrations with the right people. Looks like our client is turning all of their drawings over to us and letting us finish the project on our own. So, if I understand everything correctly (waiting on tomorrow morning's meeting with the PM), we not only don't have to worry about how the client is doing things, we can improve the way we're doing things without worrying about someone blowing a gasket.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.  :-)

JCTER

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
WIN!

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
And maybe that company will asked to contract someone out to teach them all the cool stuff you can do.