Author Topic: layer order  (Read 3495 times)

AfricaAD

layer order
« on: October 15, 2004, 02:36:47 PM »
I thought I have seen a link for this somewhere but can't seem to find it now. Is there a routine somewhere to place the layers in alphabetical order on the pulldown?

ELOQUINTET

layer order
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 02:42:43 PM »
what order are they in now, mine are always in alphabetical order?

M-dub

layer order
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 02:42:56 PM »
Quote from: At the Other site, Keith

system variable
Maxsort = ????

Set maxsort to a number larger than the total number of layers you have, or expect to have. One note... as the number gets larger, AutoCAD gets slower (if there are that many things to sort)

Example:

no performance difference
maxsort = 400
number of layers = 400

maxsort = 400
number of layers = 4000

maxsort = 4000
number of layers = 400

significant performance difference
maxsort = 4000
number of layers = 4000

ELOQUINTET

layer order
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 02:45:55 PM »
oh guess that's because i don't use a gazillion layer, hey there's a solution too  :wink:

M-dub

layer order
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 02:49:46 PM »
It can be easy to accumulate a gazillion layers if you're working with Xrefs...Still, it's not fun.

CADaver

layer order
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 02:58:46 PM »
Quote from: M-dub
It can be easy to accumulate a gazillion layers if you're working with Xrefs...Still, it's not fun.
Very fast.

As you pointed out MAXSORT is the controlling system variable, but I haven't seen a sigificant degradation in performance when sorting even 4000 layers.,  At least not on hardware built in the last couple of years anyway.  Back on 25MHz machines, 4000 layers would kill it, even without sorting

TIP:
Use the RENAME (blocks) command to rename XREFs, and add a prefix of Z (or ZZ or Z1) to the xref name.  That way xref'd layers will sort to the bottom of the list.

AfricaAD

layer order
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »
I use cadwerx fixed combos and I thought it also sorted the layers alphabetically. I also thought there was another app out there that did that.

Hmmm...my MAXSORT was set to 0.

ELOQUINTET

layer order
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 03:42:26 PM »
yeah i hear ya we tend not to use xrefs much here because we don't do much overlaying but i have used it in the past. it sure would be cool if one could put xref layer info in a sort of subfolder. you can probably do something similar i just don't do it so i don't really know.

pmvliet

layer order
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 07:19:04 PM »
You can jsut set the filters to display xref'd layers and hit the invert button so you only get the active layers. Be warned about layer filters though, they add up after a while.

Pieter

whdjr

layer order
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 08:11:11 AM »
Quote from: pmvliet
You can jsut set the filters

AAAAHHHHH! @#$%!^FILTERS*&^%($

Not the dreaded filters. :cry:

Stick with maxsort.  Your better off. :)

CADaver

layer order
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 10:31:45 AM »
Quote from: eloquintet
yeah i hear ya we tend not to use xrefs much here because we don't do much overlaying but i have used it in the past. it sure would be cool if one could put xref layer info in a sort of subfolder. you can probably do something similar i just don't do it so i don't really know.
If you look in the layer filters list, they are listed by XREF and can be selected to display only that XREF's layer in the list.  The XREFs are denoted by the "pipe" "|".

AfricaAD

layer order
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 12:24:31 PM »
I use filters religiously, but it still will not show the layer names alphabetically.

whdjr

layer order
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »
You have to set the maxsort variable to a number higher than the amount of layers you have in your drawing.

CADaver

layer order
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 02:26:14 PM »
Quote from: AfricaAD
I use filters religiously, but it still will not show the layer names alphabetically.
Set MAXSORT very large, as several have posted here.

Be aware that LayerFilters can bloat file sizes to painful levels.

AfricaAD

layer order
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 02:33:53 PM »
I use cadwerx fixed combos and I thought it also sorted the layers alphabetically. I also thought there was another app out there that did that.

Hmmm...my MAXSORT was set to 0.

I set it to 4000 after reading the responses. I still haven't noticed a difference in performance, yet, which is good, only your typical network lag.

I should have added "...until I changed maxsort to a higher value."  :wink:

Aside from having multiple xref's, we also have your typical 'new' work layers & 'exist' work layers, and then whatever adds on. I set it to 2000 & it didn't work, so I doubled & it works fine, so far.