Author Topic: going rate  (Read 5057 times)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
going rate
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 08:37:27 PM »
Quote from: Keith
That's it... my rates are going up....as of right now.....
And I'm sure you are worth every penny.
Go for it.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
going rate
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 09:18:46 PM »
You think with this last set of plans I did, the client would be mad if I told him that the cost on his 5600sf house just went to $1.25 ?? instead of $0.75 ?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
going rate
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 10:23:19 PM »
Well a 60% increase in one jump may be hard to swallow.
Do you do the design work as well? Do you provide elevations other than the
four outside elevations? I usually include minor changes to the plans until
the permit set is produced, then all changes are T&M. Do you handle the preliminary
changes that way? Does this client use any other companies to produce plans.
Do you work directly with the engineer? My price usually includes the engineering
which cost me approx. $250.00 flat fee on houses. I do all the preliminary calcs
and size footings, beams, columns, shear walls and roof fasteners.

If you are doing the design work I would say yes you should be getting $1.25 else
$0.90 to $1.00 seems like a fair price. If the engineering is separate what are they
or you paying? 15 cents?

Out of town till Monday afternoon.

CAB
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
going rate
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 10:48:02 PM »
Well, I generally get $0.60 to $0.90 depending upon how much the client grates on my nerves when we first meet.... the ones that are decisive, typically get the better rate....I never quote a PSF price...

the typical scenario is...

Client contacts me for plans, wanting quote...
I review their (typically) hand drawn plans and then based on our "interview" process I make a determination on whether this client is likely going to require a lot of changes....
I quote based on our interview typically $0.80 PSF for a set of plans that consist of
 a) Four exterior elevations
 b) Electrical plans
 c) Dimensional plans
 d) Floor framing plans
 e) Roof Framing plans (if not provided by truss mfg)
 f) Foundation plans
 g) Sectional
 h) Details as needed
 i) Cover sheet w/index

I do all of the design work, sizing beams,  joists, rafters, foundations,  rebars, uplift requirements, point loads, fireplaces, and any other custom things the client wants or requires. I can do this typically in a couple of days and be done.
I also handle the contact with the engineer of record, who provides, structural analysis, wind load analysis, and energy calculations.
In perhaps the last 2 years that I have been doing this, I could probably count the number of deviations the engineer required on one hand....I do it all....
I can do the plumbing design, DWV and supply, but will add an additional $300 for those alone (I don't like them and if the client is willing to pay, then I am glad to take their money)
My engineer charges me $300 per plan, and my paper/copy cost is $1.00 per page...typical plans require 10 - 15 pages. The client gets 5 sets ... 3 will be sealed, 2 are for subs and general reference...they get additional copies at their expense.

I don't design interiors i.e. cabinets etc... I tell them to let the cabinet people do that...take the preliminary plan and go to a cabinet shop and have them design it for them...I'll show any deviations IF they get them to me before press time...

Changes AFTER the seal is applied are charged at $500 per event and $25 per page... typically they decide to do a field amendment...
All preliminary work is charged at $150 and includes only the basic plans and front elevations. Additional charges are incurred if the client requires all 4 elevatios from the beginning. All funds paid in the preliminary process is fully aplied to the final set of plans.

Dangit ... didn't realize it was that much info ... typical house for me is $2400 plus engineering fees... is that ok? too high? too low?

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
going rate
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 09:31:23 AM »
Not to dicourage you guys on your rate increase, but most of my reprduction plans are for commercial work and with commercial work you can charge more.
I think a slight increase in cost is justafiable and usually I find the client likes my work enough he will be willing to increase the rate in order to prevent going thru all the hassle of dealing with new person who may or may not product the same craftsmanship.
For those cheap client who are unwilling, go luck to them.

Cheap usually equals $h!tty workmanship.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

AfricaAD

going rate
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 12:14:39 PM »
Are these rates for asbuilts as well? A guy asked me to draft up his house into CAD, I don't know if he has existing plans. He wants plans, ext. elev's, int. elev's, and some details.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
going rate
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 01:18:29 PM »
I'd never consider doing As-Builts for that price....
For an as-built project I will charge a fee to go to the site myself and document the structure as best can be done with a visual inspection. This can take from several hours to several days, then it all has to be put into the drawing....
I never charge less than $275 per day out of the office.... that is also a minimum even if it only takes an hour.... I have driving time, fuel, and other expenses that I have to pay....
Then... when I have sufficient notes to do an as-built drawing (visually inspected) I will proceed and charge the normal rates per SF.

Most people think they would like their house plans but after realizing the cost of doing such, decide against it.

AfricaAD

going rate
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2004, 02:48:48 PM »
I usually get contracted out hourly for professional firms. I had a low rate at $25/hr. & a had a high rate once at $50/hr. I wish I could get the $50/hr. rate again. My average rate is $35/hr.

But then again this is non-commercial work. I will charge for the day or so for the site walk, bill him for the prints. I am just debating on charging hourly, lump or other. I am researching on value for me to do the job and affordable enough for the client.