Author Topic: 'cal  (Read 5366 times)

Big G

• Bull Frog
'cal
« on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »
Ive always had a problem with the transparent calculator in cad and wondering if im the only one....

Code: [Select]
Command: l
LINE Specify first point:
Specify next point or [Undo]: 'cal
>>>> Expression: 500-200
Error:
Numeric overflow
>>>> Expression: *Cancel*

Resuming LINE command.

it always works on the second try...but the first try 99% of the time gets a numeric overflow...does anyone else get this error?...
perhaps i should ask, does anyone else even use this function?
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

CADaver

Re: 'cal
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
Ive always had a problem with the transparent calculator in cad and wondering if im the only one....

>>>> Expression: 500-200
Error:
Numeric overflow
>>>> Expression: *Cancel*

Resuming LINE command.

it always works on the second try...but the first try 99% of the time gets a numeric overflow...does anyone else get this error?...

What are you trying to do?  seems to work for me, but the syntax seems a bit meaningless.

Big G

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
nothing in particular this time, but generally when im trying to use the transp. cal. i always seem to get the error message, just upgraded to c3d 09 and curious as to why im getting the same message as before.....

i ususally use it for drawing pipe lengths from engineers RL's, so draw a line between 2 RL's say of 49.124 and 46.247 (for instance)

Specify next point or [Undo]:  <Ortho on> 'cal
>>>> Expression: 49.124-46.247
Error:
Numeric overflow
>>>> Expression: 49.124-46.247

Resuming LINE command.

Specify next point or [Undo]: 2.877

Specify next point or [Undo]:

et voila second time it gives me the answer to the difference between the 2 RL's.....

not really that much of a hassle, just curious if anyone else was getting this and found out what it was.
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:01:21 PM »
May be a load issue.  The app isn't loaded until your first attempt and it can't be loaded transparently.  Try executing a cal function at the command line non-transparently.

Big G

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »
strange that.....

seems to load fine from the cmd line each time.....but transparently it has a problem

>>>> Expression: 500-300
Error:
Numeric overflow

Resuming LINE command.

Specify next point or [Undo]: 200

Command: cal
>> Expression: 500-300

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 01:34:44 AM »
strange that.....

seems to load fine from the cmd line each time.....but transparently it has a problem

Error:
Numeric overflow

Resuming LINE command.

Specify next point or [Undo]: 200

Command: cal
>> Expression: 500-300
It never has loaded transparently and was so stated in the R14 documentation.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 05:06:38 AM »

Have you tried adding something like this to your ACAD.mnl or to one of the auto-loaded files. ... just to make sure it is preloaded ..

(if (not (member "geomcal.arx"(arx)))(arxload "GEOMCAL") )
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:50 AM »
Tested it in MEP 2009 & it works transparently 1st time all the time... I never have used it tho'.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
i always use a space between the numbers ie

500 - 200

Maybe???
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:34:02 AM »

You're not alone, I've had this problem with both C3D '08 & '09.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 09:44:18 AM »

the thing flat our wont do high order integers, and has been broken for years

Command:
Command: 'cal
>> Expression: 25*189045

Command:
CAL >> Expression: 45/483729282820
Error:
Integer numbers must be between 2147483647 and -2147483648

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CADaver

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:19:46 PM »

Its an issue with intergers in a digital environment, has been so since we started using binary computing.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »
I'm guessing something with C3D is interfering based on the response you've gotten.  I use the command occasionally and have never had it do that to me.

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
I've always used a function similar to the one Kerry posted to make sure the GEOMCAL is always loaded and have no issues with transparent cal functions.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 07:47:46 PM »

Its an issue with intergers in a digital environment, has been so since we started using binary computing.

Funny that you apologize for autodesk's failing here; yet one can enter the SAME values in the windows calculator and it will return a valid answer. So it's really an issue with autodesk's programming and not integers, and or binary functionality as you are suggesting.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Big G

• Bull Frog
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
good mix of responses there to the question....nice to know im not the only one with the 'numeric overflow'
Is the geomcal.arx the internal cal command or the toolbar calculator...

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

Funny that you apologize for autodesk's failing here; yet one can enter the SAME values in the windows calculator and it will return a valid answer. So it's really an issue with autodesk's programming and not integers, and or binary functionality as you are suggesting.
Apologize for Autodesk???  The integer issue has been around in binary computing forever.  It was covered in my very first Fortran class in 1970.  It is limited by the amount of integer data stored in a byte because integers are processed by computers in a "fixed size approach".  Floating point calculations (on real numbers) use a "variable size approach".  The reason for the difference is speed, the fixed approach is massively faster than the variable approach.  It is an issue with every programming language, has been since tubes.

So knowing its a simple interger issue, the solution to this "major" problem is just add a .0 to one of the numbers and its no longer an integer.  That's what the windows calculator does automatically.

Microstation, until V8, used interger based graphics and it forced a fixed design plane because of the max integer computable.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
So how do you explain that the very same numbers can be computed using the Windows calculator, that autodesk 'cal chokes on?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:17 PM »
So how do you explain that the very same numbers can be computed using the Windows calculator, that autodesk 'cal chokes on?
The calculator is an application that forces all numbers to real. (divide 5 by 3, if the answer is not 1 then the numbers are real numbers, not integers)