Author Topic: 'cal  (Read 5368 times)

Big G

• Bull Frog
Re: 'cal
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
good mix of responses there to the question....nice to know im not the only one with the 'numeric overflow'
Is the geomcal.arx the internal cal command or the toolbar calculator...
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Ive always had a problem with the transparent calculator in cad and wondering if im the only one....

the thing flat our wont do high order integers, and has been broken for years
Its an issue with intergers in a digital environment, has been so since we started using binary computing.

Funny that you apologize for autodesk's failing here; yet one can enter the SAME values in the windows calculator and it will return a valid answer. So it's really an issue with autodesk's programming and not integers, and or binary functionality as you are suggesting.
Apologize for Autodesk???  The integer issue has been around in binary computing forever.  It was covered in my very first Fortran class in 1970.  It is limited by the amount of integer data stored in a byte because integers are processed by computers in a "fixed size approach".  Floating point calculations (on real numbers) use a "variable size approach".  The reason for the difference is speed, the fixed approach is massively faster than the variable approach.  It is an issue with every programming language, has been since tubes.

So knowing its a simple interger issue, the solution to this "major" problem is just add a .0 to one of the numbers and its no longer an integer.  That's what the windows calculator does automatically.

Microstation, until V8, used interger based graphics and it forced a fixed design plane because of the max integer computable.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
So how do you explain that the very same numbers can be computed using the Windows calculator, that autodesk 'cal chokes on?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CADaver

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 11:41:17 PM »
So how do you explain that the very same numbers can be computed using the Windows calculator, that autodesk 'cal chokes on?
The calculator is an application that forces all numbers to real. (divide 5 by 3, if the answer is not 1 then the numbers are real numbers, not integers)