Author Topic: '09 Quick Properties  (Read 6245 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: '09 Quick Properties
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 06:56:24 AM »
Leaving the Properties palette open (even docked and set to auto-hide) causes the screen flicker problem when selecting objects in C3D.

I've noticed on some systems (the faster ones), this flicker isn't really noticeable.  But on other systems, it is quite annoying, causing a noticeable delay every time the user selects a Cogo Point, in particular.

I need to watch for this today, as I can not say that I have witnessed the screen flicker, you describe.  Could it be due to the manner in which I float the toolbars onto the desktop?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »
I don't think so.  I see the flicker as long as the Properties pane is open, regardless of whether or not it is docked or set to autohide.

Like I said, on some systems, it's fast enough that it isn't really noticeable unless you watch for it.  Look around the red letter C up in the upper-left corner.

And I suspect it might not necessarily be just the system speed that affects this, it might also be other things such as network issues.  I think C3D might be hitting support paths every time an item is selected, which may mean going out onto the network, depending on configuration.  And as I think we all know by now, Autodesk is doing some bad things when it comes to file access across networks.  Simply trying to do a LandXML Export to a network drive takes at least 30x longer than to a local drive, and there's no way that network speed alone can account for that drastic a difference.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »
Leaving the Properties palette open (even docked and set to auto-hide) causes the screen flicker problem when selecting objects in C3D.

I've noticed on some systems (the faster ones), this flicker isn't really noticeable.  But on other systems, it is quite annoying, causing a noticeable delay every time the user selects a Cogo Point, in particular.

I need to watch for this today, as I can not say that I have witnessed the screen flicker, you describe.  Could it be due to the manner in which I float the toolbars onto the desktop?

Doesn't seem to matter either way for me, if that Properties palette is open C3D is all kinds of slow. Remember how bad '06 was when you selected a Point to drag, it's just like that.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »
i've never had luck with the full properties menu staying open. everything you pick anything, it causes a lag to load all the properties of the selected object(s). rather takes away from the advantages of pickfirst. i use the properties menu as little as possible, but now that i'm switching to c3d, i've seen that you are forced to embrace it. hell, it automatically opens when you insert an assembly/sub assembly from tool palettes.
i'm going to look into the quick palettes; is it possible to make it only work for certain objects?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:53 PM »
I've just ran a few more test, and luckily I can NOT get it to delay, or flicker on my system.  So the properties window works for me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
I've just ran a few more test, and luckily I can NOT get it to delay, or flicker on my system.  So the properties window works for me.

Hang on, I've got a .dwg for ya! :-)

If C3D or Windows doesn't crash first. *sigh*

Code: [Select]
Select AutoCAD points: ... 151105 found

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
so, did it crash?   YET?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:23:50 AM »
are you really sending me the file?

If so I might not get a chance to play with it until luch, as I have a class today.

however I am willing to 'play' CRASH CAD!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 08:30:08 AM »
are you really sending me the file?

Yes I am. At least trying to. I've got it down to 12MB, I'll upload it ASAP.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
Here ya go MJF.

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/COT_POINTS.zip (13.6MB)

That is maybe 1/4 of the data in my .dwg.