Author Topic: '09 Quick Properties  (Read 6244 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
'09 Quick Properties
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:13:26 AM »
The Quick Properties panel lists the most commonly used properties for each object type or a set of objects. You can easily customize the quick properties for any object in the Customize User Interface (CUI) editor. See Customize Quick Properties in the Customization Guide.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

M-dub

Re: '09 Quick Properties
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »
I tried it and it's probably going to be useful from time to time, but not on a constant basis.

I just about said "It would be REALLY nice if we could choose the specific properties that get displayed in that popup." but remembered seeing something about that right before I hit Post.  Guess I'll have to revisit it.  :)

jnieman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 09:11:05 AM »
Gave it a shot, but found that Autocad could not read my mind, and would pop it up when I didn't want it... and often times it'd pop up over something I needed to read lol..

I work super dandy fine with the properties pallete docked in-full on the side... one fling of the mouse, and it rolls out for editting.

and yea, like MDub alluded to... you edit what shows up on the QP popup, in the CUI, and can customize it for each 'type' of object selected when it pops up.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »
I use it all the time. Its docked at the side of my second monitor. I just find it handy to have open all the time, and the amount of space it takes up is minimal.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
I could not find a selection of "haven't not installed 09 yet".  ^-^  Should things have calm down a bit.

I will say this that with two monitors, I just dock 08's properties palette on the second monitor so there is no need to fling the mouse.  Have to fling the eye balls instead.  :-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

sinc

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
It causes problems with C3D.  Even having the full properties palette docked to the side and set to auto-hide causes problems in C3D.  I've taken to having it docked on the side, and I use CTRL+1 to make it visible/invisible.  That doesn't cause problems in C3D.    :-P

jnieman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
It causes problems with C3D.  Even having the full properties palette docked to the side and set to auto-hide causes problems in C3D.  I've taken to having it docked on the side, and I use CTRL+1 to make it visible/invisible.  That doesn't cause problems in C3D.    :-P

picky, picky!

(the app, not you)

KewlToyZ

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
I'm using it in my Enterprise cui workspaces.
Unfortunately, in order to retain the custom buttons, I have to create a copy of the workspace using the cui editor.
The Save Workspace control fails to copy it over for some reason.

chrisdarmanin

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:24 AM »
i hate it, i keep full properties open on the side...

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:03:50 AM »
i hate it, i keep full properties open on the side...

I used to work that way, until C3D '09 came along! *sigh*

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »
I still have my full properties dialog box up, but the quick properties is docked closer to the other toolbars, and I find myself using it for more and more things
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Big G

• Bull Frog
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »

why not now? thats how im using it?
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »

why not now? thats how im using it?

His reason would be that MANY C3D objects can not be altered using the Properties toolbar.
and one must use the Select Object>>Rt Click function to get to say ones alignment, or profile view properties to edit them.
And sometimes one must go about seven functions deeper to change the thing one really wants to change in C3D.
That could be why.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:33:58 AM »
Leaving the Properties palette open (even docked and set to auto-hide) causes the screen flicker problem when selecting objects in C3D.

I've noticed on some systems (the faster ones), this flicker isn't really noticeable.  But on other systems, it is quite annoying, causing a noticeable delay every time the user selects a Cogo Point, in particular.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 02:41:59 AM »
As I rarely use the prop's dialog, I don't mind the mini version once you set it up for the things that you might want to change regularly. I just move it to the top right corner out of the main view and it doesn't worry me too much really.

"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 06:56:24 AM »
Leaving the Properties palette open (even docked and set to auto-hide) causes the screen flicker problem when selecting objects in C3D.

I've noticed on some systems (the faster ones), this flicker isn't really noticeable.  But on other systems, it is quite annoying, causing a noticeable delay every time the user selects a Cogo Point, in particular.

I need to watch for this today, as I can not say that I have witnessed the screen flicker, you describe.  Could it be due to the manner in which I float the toolbars onto the desktop?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 08:24:01 AM »
I don't think so.  I see the flicker as long as the Properties pane is open, regardless of whether or not it is docked or set to autohide.

Like I said, on some systems, it's fast enough that it isn't really noticeable unless you watch for it.  Look around the red letter C up in the upper-left corner.

And I suspect it might not necessarily be just the system speed that affects this, it might also be other things such as network issues.  I think C3D might be hitting support paths every time an item is selected, which may mean going out onto the network, depending on configuration.  And as I think we all know by now, Autodesk is doing some bad things when it comes to file access across networks.  Simply trying to do a LandXML Export to a network drive takes at least 30x longer than to a local drive, and there's no way that network speed alone can account for that drastic a difference.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »

I need to watch for this today, as I can not say that I have witnessed the screen flicker, you describe.  Could it be due to the manner in which I float the toolbars onto the desktop?

Doesn't seem to matter either way for me, if that Properties palette is open C3D is all kinds of slow. Remember how bad '06 was when you selected a Point to drag, it's just like that.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »
i've never had luck with the full properties menu staying open. everything you pick anything, it causes a lag to load all the properties of the selected object(s). rather takes away from the advantages of pickfirst. i use the properties menu as little as possible, but now that i'm switching to c3d, i've seen that you are forced to embrace it. hell, it automatically opens when you insert an assembly/sub assembly from tool palettes.
i'm going to look into the quick palettes; is it possible to make it only work for certain objects?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 10:12:53 PM »
I've just ran a few more test, and luckily I can NOT get it to delay, or flicker on my system.  So the properties window works for me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
I've just ran a few more test, and luckily I can NOT get it to delay, or flicker on my system.  So the properties window works for me.

Hang on, I've got a .dwg for ya! :-)

If C3D or Windows doesn't crash first. *sigh*

Code: [Select]
Select AutoCAD points: ... 151105 found

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
so, did it crash?   YET?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 08:23:50 AM »
are you really sending me the file?

If so I might not get a chance to play with it until luch, as I have a class today.

however I am willing to 'play' CRASH CAD!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 08:30:08 AM »
are you really sending me the file?

Yes I am. At least trying to. I've got it down to 12MB, I'll upload it ASAP.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
Here ya go MJF.

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/COT_POINTS.zip (13.6MB)

That is maybe 1/4 of the data in my .dwg.