Author Topic: Feild referencing Linear Parameter borks  (Read 13468 times)

whdjr

Re: Feild referencing Linear Parameter borks
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 09:17:59 AM »
I have made some blocks and put dimensions in them.  You can add prefix and suffix.  You can change the scale factor of the output.  You can do alot of things with dimensions within DBs.  And you don't have to regen to get it to update.
Okay Will,
I am going to play dumb (which is not very hard; especially lately) and ask
1) Can you change the text size of the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?
2) Can you change the location of the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?
3) Can I have different prefixes for the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?  And of course these prefixes will have to update and reflect the current state of the DB.

Do you have an example for my dissecting pleasure that is if you don't mind posting?  :-D :-D
Thanks for your patience.

Okay here is the short answer,
1.  No
2.  No
3.  No

Okay, now for the long answer. 
1.  While you can not change the text size of a dimension within a block you can however have multiple dimensions with different text sizes either in different Vis states or different layers.
2.  Same answer as #1 just changing the location of the text instead of text sizes.
3.  Same as above.

While these things are achievable you have to do it in a unconventional way.  Most of these can be done with multiple dims on Vis states.

I attached a block of a locker in plan.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Great thread, guys, you've taught me some good stuff.

Krush.. when you say "Can you change the location of the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?"

Couldn't you use a LinearStretch parameter/action to move the dimension while keeping it attached to the object it's dimensioning?  The selection polygon would have to encompass the two arrowhead points, but not the node endpoints of the dimension, and then it should relocate the text and arrowheads like you would normally stretch/move a dimension...  afaik... I haven't used dimensions within dynamic blocks... but I will be starting to shortly, as I've decided to dimension in model space for our typical details that will be inserted from tool palette.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 10:45:37 AM »
Great thread, guys, you've taught me some good stuff.
Thanks, this is my fist serious Dynamic Block. So I am just learning. 

Krush.. when you say "Can you change the location of the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?"
See the image below.  This is a poor example becuase I could just move the section line to clear the text but in most cases I can't becuase it is very cluttered.  See how the section line runs thru the upper wall cabinet text (W3030).  With it being an attribute I can just move that single interference with a simple grip move. 

When I get down adding a the look up (which I am having a problem at the moment) I will post all my blocks to share and for you guys & gals to test and beat on.  Thanks again for everybodies help.

***Edit**
It helps if I had the image
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:53:48 AM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

whdjr

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
Krush,

I included a dwg with some of our cabinet blocks I made a while back.  I hope you can use them.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 03:30:43 PM »
Krush,

I included a dwg with some of our cabinet blocks I made a while back.  I hope you can use them.
Thanks Will,
I am busy with Billable; so I had to set this whole cabinet thing to the side.  But I manage to get the lookup to work, now I just have to copy the fix through all my blocks.  I will will tear your appart to see how I can improve mine.
Thanks again.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
Krush,

Thanks Will,
I am busy with Billable; so I had to set this whole cabinet thing to the side.  But I manage to get the lookup to work, now I just have to copy the fix through all my blocks.  I will will tear your appart to see how I can improve mine.
Thanks again.

Will,
I started working on the DBs during my lunch break and started to look at your DB Cabinets.  By looking at your blocks I manage to find out what I was doing wrong with the flipping of hinge side indicator.  I see it now and it makes sense too.  Just move just the flip parameter and not flip action and/or geometry that is getting flip.  Thanks.

whdjr

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
Bingo!

A lot of your actions do not need to include other actions just the parameters.  Although as time progresses you will find out where you need to include the actions as well.