Author Topic: Feild referencing Linear Parameter borks  (Read 13437 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Feild referencing Linear Parameter borks
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
I am trying to reference the distance of a linear parameter to a field and it borks with a ## when I try to insert it into the working drawing.  :realmad: :realmad:
Why?

Second question, I also need to have another feild referencing the same distance but I need it to subtract 3 from that distance auto magically.  I muck around looking to see if it would jump out at me but I can't find anything, but in my defense, it is getting late and it is time to go home.

What I need is Text(Distance-3)/(Distance) thus in real world it would read as BLB36/39
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Re: Feild referencing Linear Parameter borks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:01:44 AM »
Have a look at the attached DB.  It uses a formula which referenced the object ID of the line to calculate the length -3.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:42:58 AM »
Have a look at the attached DB.  It uses a formula which referenced the object ID of the line to calculate the length -3.
Sweet.  Problem two solve.  Thanks

Any Idea on how solve problem one.  Without problem one solve I am dead on the water.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
Sweet.  Problem two solve.  Thanks

Any Idea on how solve problem one.  Without problem one solve I am dead on the water.

You mean the cabinet one?  HAB vs. B??

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »
You mean the cabinet one?  HAB vs. B??
No This below

I am trying to reference the distance of a linear parameter to a field and it borks with a ## when I try to insert it into the working drawing.  :realmad: :realmad:
Why?

I don't have the benefit of a line but I do have a linear parameter and I am trying to use that.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »
Can you post a sample of the DB?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »
Enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
Enjoy.

I see what's happening... Even though you can set it up to reference the length of the parameter, every time you go back into the block editor, the handle of the parameter is different.  I would probably suggest adding a line (on a no-plot, frozen layer) and referencing the length of that instead.

Dave R

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 08:36:34 AM »
Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »
Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
No I ended up going with Matt Suggestion of using a line.  This line has to insertion point for the block and go to the right hand side of the block.
See the attached file for my close to final DB blocks.  You will notice the cabinet numbers refernce the distance back to the insertion point.

Once I finished cleaning them with some testing I will post all my blocks.
Please feel free to test these two and offer suggestions for improvement  All comments welcome.

Dave R

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:55 AM »
Ah yes. I see. I did not realize you needed to get the distance to the insertion point. One thing you may want to add, if the cabinets are limited to a certain group of widths, is a lookup list that references the widths of your cabinet. This way you can pick the width you want from a dropdown on the block instead of haveing to stretch using a grip. You could still leave the stretch option this way you get the best of both worlds.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 10:51:02 AM »
Ah yes. I see. I did not realize you needed to get the distance to the insertion point. One thing you may want to add, if the cabinets are limited to a certain group of widths, is a lookup list that references the widths of your cabinet. This way you can pick the width you want from a dropdown on the block instead of havening to stretch using a grip. You could still leave the stretch option this way you get the best of both worlds.
I could add a lookup purely for the learning experience.  Since I have two monitors, I keep the properties pallet open and I thus have a lookup going already.   Whats nice is that I can select a handful of blocks change stuff at once using the properties pallet.  I will add this if my users wants something like that.   Thanks.

Kate M

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
I had several blocks where I was forced into lookups, because the DYNMODE setting that showed the stretch distance messed up DDE (couldn't enter delta lengths, only totals).

whdjr

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »
I have made some blocks and put dimensions in them.  You can add prefix and suffix.  You can change the scale factor of the output.  You can do alot of things with dimensions within DBs.  And you don't have to regen to get it to update.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »
I have made some blocks and put dimensions in them.  You can add prefix and suffix.  You can change the scale factor of the output.  You can do alot of things with dimensions within DBs.  And you don't have to regen to get it to update.
Okay Will,
I am going to play dumb (which is not very hard; especially lately) and ask
1) Can you change the text size of the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?
2) Can you change the location of the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?
3) Can I have different prefixes for the nested dimension for a selected handful of DBs and not all of them?  And of course these prefixes will have to update and reflect the current state of the DB.

Do you have an example for my dissecting pleasure that is if you don't mind posting?  :-D :-D
Thanks for your patience.