Author Topic: Thought y'all might get a kick outta this  (Read 10148 times)

deegeecees

Re: Thought y'all might get a kick outta this
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »
Looks like some anal-retentive laborer (I know, it's an oxymoron) with a hammerdrill, and a core bit.

Nice consistent work though.

pmvliet

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »
I thought I had some other slab cut photo's from another job, but I can't find them at the moment.
I must have deleted them :-o

The white powder is from the cutting process when they are using the water for heat/lubrication.
The picture is at least a day later after everything has dried out. This process is very messy
and water is all over the place. I don't think they used as much water as with the process
in the photo's I've taken.

As far as reinforcing, I believe there is some in there. If you look in the far cuts. there are symmetrical dots
about every hole (right-side). Would most likely be wire mesh. Also, in looking at the wall, it's composition
is that of brick so this building is most likely pretty darn old. We don't There could be a wall right behind the
camera.

Working out in the field, if you have to cut a slab opening and only have a core drill, you are going to use it.
Time is money and to wait a day to get a wetsaw can cause delays.

I agree that M-dubs shadows are possible given that my beam has that same shadow.
The one that throws it off is where the green line points.  Either the camera position is very high,
or something from above is casting another shadow. The other thought, it maybe this originally was
just 4 holes and someone expanded it to make it rectangular.

Either way, it is still funny. Real or edited

CADaver

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »
The dropped shadow from the top (nearest) edge of the hole seems most inconsistent... what is it reflecting on?  The ceiling in the background? 
the wall just beyond the hole directly above the masonry.

Birdy

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:01 PM »
nope, it's a revcloud alright.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »

M-dub

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 08:32:43 PM »
Nice explanation, Pieter.  :)

The one that throws it off is where the green line points.  Either the camera position is very high,
or something from above is casting another shadow. The other thought, it maybe this originally was
just 4 holes and someone expanded it to make it rectangular.

I'm thinking that the part that the green line is pointing to is water, not a shadow.  When you get cement wet, it gets darker.  Does no one else see this?  Maybe I'm wrong, but... ?

nope, it's a revcloud alright.

:-D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:34:19 PM by M-dub »

Strucmad

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »
M-dub , understand your point, but have to disagree,
concrete density IMO would not allow that sort of moisture penetration,
If it were water I would expect to see a feathering out of the seepage not a distinct line.
The coring process is usually with a water cooled blade (as pieter said) that wash effect to the u/s slab and it has already dried
so the exposed sides would/should be dry as well....

photoshop/real still pretty funny..

CADaver

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »
M-dub , understand your point, but have to disagree,
concrete density IMO would not allow that sort of moisture penetration,
If it were water I would expect to see a feathering out of the seepage not a distinct line.
The coring process is usually with a water cooled blade (as pieter said) that wash effect to the u/s slab and it has already dried
so the exposed sides would/should be dry as well....
two side cut, the slab is too thick for a hole saw to cut all the way through, cut one side then the other.

Strucmad

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 09:03:25 PM »
two side cut, the slab is too thick for a hole saw to cut all the way through, cut one side then the other.

Thats one piddly little saw  :-D

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 09:11:22 PM »

Thats one piddly little saw  :-D
as the hole gets deeper more surface area of the blade is in contact with the sides of the hole causing considerably more load on the tool.  Not to mention the max depth for most hole saws of that diameter is a little over three inches.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 09:21:24 PM »
After looking at the picture using software designed to test for variations in the pictures that would indicate the photo was edited, I feel that it is indeed edited.

The most compelling evidence is the obvious cut lines when the pixels are masked. Note the dark lines following the contour of the cuts. Further review also indicates that the background as seen through the "hole" is also not part of the original picture.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

uncoolperson

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
it does however have some stuff hanging from the holes (right around 9 o'clock of the hole)

Strucmad

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »
Here we go
Not to mention the max depth for most hole saws of that diameter
what would your estimate of the diameter be ?

max depth for most hole saws of that diameter is a little over three inches.
care to back that up..

I need one of those pokey stick smileys
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:53:48 PM by PS_Port »

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »
it does however have some stuff hanging from the holes (right around 9 o'clock of the hole)

And the hangy stuff casts a shadow as well.

Ok, how 'bout this theory.

On Thursday, Frank, under the order of Randy, cuts half way through the floor from below.  He finishes his work and goes home for the day.  On Friday, he arrives to finish the job.  Again, using water (or other coolant), he finishes the holes and his job is complete.  Since he made the cuts from below the day before, the lower half of each hole is dry.  The upper half is still wet from the fresh cuts.  Since Randy had given Frank crap for not completing work in the past, he takes a picture of it as proof.  This is why Randy will now tell us the real story because he has known all along!

Amateurs! :-D

Ok, so it's a little far fetched.  I still say it's not a fake and that the dark half of the hole is a liquid of some sort, but not necessarily seeing through the concrete.

I can't believe how many times I've posted some degree of an argument to this thread!  :roll: :)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.