Author Topic: Opening the right cad.  (Read 1243 times)

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
Opening the right cad.
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
I have 2004,6,7, and 2008 loaded as we have different versions on different machines.
With 2008 open, opening a dwg from windows explorer will start Acad 2006 rather than opening it in 2008.
Anyone know the key to set 2008? as the boss.
I did read (The article was about Inventor and autocad) that 2008 leaves a little message in the dwg to open with 2008 only if you save in 2008.
I'm not quite sure if this is applicable (since the save is in 2007 ver.)

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Opening the right cad.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »
I think that is a Windows question. When I open from Win Explorer, I've noticed that it can depend on which version of AutoCAD I have already used during that particular Windows session. I am interested if there is a way to open from Explorer with a default version of AutoCAD.
CAD Tech

dtkell

• Bull Frog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »
Can you right click on the icon in windows explorer and select the correct version with the "open with" option?
Or how about adjusting your file associativity in the "Tools" "Folder Options" "File Types" in windows explorer?
I know that file associativity used to be more discriminating (and easier to set) pre Windows95.
\"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?\" -Ursula K. Le Guin

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:59:56 PM »
I had tried that but since reading http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=559342
I needed to go in deeper
From Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types>DWG>Advanced>Open>Edit
Instead of following what is there, I browsed to 2008 exe and ended up with the settings shown in the picture.
I can't seem to find anything on the acad launcher program. 
Now I open a dwg from explorer (if I have 2008 open) it opens in a new 2008, which is only marginally better

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:10:02 PM »
Hey it seems to be working ok now.
Now it opens as expected, if you have cad open, it opens the dwg in that session.
If you don't and your last session was 2006, it will open it in 2006. (That I can live with).
Inventor and cad don't seem to always get on, so I tried uninstalling inventor to get the cad right.