Author Topic: AutoCAD 2008  (Read 15487 times)

hudster

• Gator
AutoCAD 2008
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
I must say i'm impressed, seems a lot faster than 2007, and I love the new annotation option.
I used it to change a drawing scale from 1:100 to 1:50, and all went fine.

the new 2d option on the dashboard is good as well, i might be able to clear some more toolbars from my drawing space.

I like the column text as well, but i don't i'll have too much use for it. very rarely do we have that many notes.

Multiline attributes are great, i might incorporate them into our titleblocks if they are compatible with older cad versions.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Josh Nieman

Re: AutoCAD 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:57:54 AM »
It would make my life easier if they documented ALL changes, I guess, with the book they send out, instead of gathering random stuff from a hundred different places on the internet.... but I guess that'd be a big book!

We do all our annotation in paper space, so the addition of the annotative scaling tools is moot for us, but we all agree that it's a huge and powerfully awesome tool.  I recommended installing 2008 and learning it asap to a couple subs that use model space for annotation.

I love that this release is chocked full of all the little fixes for small things that used to annoy the crap out of me before:

*Spell check has been significantly upgraded to include ZOOMING in to where the typo is!  (BOOYAH BABY)

*Now, when using multiple layout tabs, all you have to do to rename it is double click on it... and to rearrange them.. just DRAG the tab where you want it to go!  (one of my favorite additions)

*Addition of Sun & Sky Background for rendering (apperantly something brought in from their acquisition of 3dsmax) and photometric lighting... these are fluff for me, but hey, a little fluff now and then is all good.

*Changes/upgrades to material application and I spotted various additions to the Adv Render Pref pallet as well that I am going to love playing with (next shot I get to work on my office model, I guess) that I think are going to help me.. especially the shadow intensity controls.

*For those that use toolbars, the addition of the 2D Drafting / Annotation setup seems cool... more customized environments is only better.  Personally I'm a keyboard freak and only use flyouts for block library, xref panel, properties, design center, and vis styles... always docked on left or right, minimized with minimal toolbars up top.  I likes me clear space.. within reason but I think being able to switch between environments easily for those who haven't already set up custom environments could save a lot of frustration.

*oh man... I had almost forgot... LAYER CONTROL by VIEWPORT!  (yeehaw!)  You ever get redlines back from the engineer saying "show the rebar and concrete hatching here, but shade it in this detail... focus on the wall anchoring bars only"  and you just stare and go "but but but..." and walk away thinking "AW CRAP" well now... BOOYAH you can create layer overriding color and linetype settings in individual viewports.  They've also made it VERY clear which layers have overrides to flag you.  When the layer manager is showing, any layer with a layer override (color or linetype, w/e) is highlighted in a light muted blue color to show.  I was worried about getting a drawing full of overrides and not being able to work with it well, but I think they did a good job making it very clear and understandable.

*Multileaders and the dimension enhancements are very cool.  I do love the dimension break for crossing lines... no matter how much you want to avoid it, a lot of times your dimensions simply MUST cross.  I hate that, and for a dimension to remain associative, as I prefer, there's no way other than to have crossing, conflicting lines.  Now it's solved.  I've yet to work with the jogged dimension, but I'm hoping that a jogged dimension will display the ACCURATE value when dimensioning between two viewports... so if I have a drilled shaft that's 120' deep, I can show the last 10', and first 20' (or w/e) in seperate viewports, then dim between them and it be ACCURATE for a change, without having to override the dimension (cue screams and shrieks of horror)

*I think it's cool to be able to "fade" layers for visual purposes only.  When you're working in model space and it's all getting so convoluted your eyes are crossing, you can now select what layers you're working with, and all others will (just visually only... not the layer itself) turn to a shaded gray color to make your focal layers stand out while you work.  I don't know that I'll use it often, but I know when I do, it'll help.  A lot of times you NEED those dense, heavy layers no to snap to, so turning layers off isn't an option all the time.

I think I've gone on enough.  One thing I have noticed though that I'm curious about is a change to the "hidden" style and how it displays... it now shows tangential lines I think.  It's displaying about 5 lines along the length of a fillet on a steel C channel... I'm using the archaic -shademode (H) hidden style, not the new 3d hidden so I don't know why it would change... I may have forgotten to change a setting... I'll have to check...

I have to say though... I haven't found any bugs yet.  Good signs!

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:01:39 AM »
I've seen a few posts on forums about the hidded style not displaying properly without a regen.
A minor bug, and i'm sure some more will appear soon.

But all in all it's pretty good
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »
I've seen a few posts on forums about the hidded style not displaying properly without a regen.
A minor bug, and i'm sure some more will appear soon.

But all in all it's pretty good

Yea i read that too but regen had nothing to do to fix what I was seeing.  What I had seen so far was that it was not displaying hidden lines (dashed) properly... I don't show those normally anyways.  Not in this case, though, specifically.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 10:10:39 AM »
For example:

as you can see, even after numerous regens in model space through this viewport, and in paperspace, it still displays many lines along the fillets of each steel member...

It almost looks like the triangles that make up a face in polygonal solids or something...

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
It would make my life easier if they documented ALL changes, I guess, with the book they send out, instead of gathering random stuff from a hundred different places on the internet.... but I guess that'd be a big book!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~
I have to say though... I haven't found any bugs yet.  Good signs!
Good Write Up.  Thanks for letting us know.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Josh Nieman

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:54:36 AM »
This might just be me... or may be a bug... I'm thinking it's me because if this were a bug, MANY other people would have found this long before now:

I don't see my objects dashed after I click to select them.  They are selected... they just don't show it by being dashed... and I have everything set as I did before in 2007 (see attached for current settings)

Am I overlooking something obvious or stupid (I'm sure I am overlooking something... I hope.)

whdjr

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:00:36 AM »
Check the 'HIGHLIGHT' system variable.  Maybe some new options added.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:31:50 AM »
Check the 'HIGHLIGHT' system variable.  Maybe some new options added.

that was it!

Some reason it was set to zero by default...

Man... I couldn't find a reference to that ANYWHERE in the help file searching for selection display and various forms of the terms...  thanks!

Birdy

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 12:10:02 PM »
<looking in mailbox>
still nothing  =:/

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »
Well here's the first "bug" though I don't know if this really qualified.  I think this is expected, but not sure.

When opening a 2007 file, if it has any lights or cameras in it, created in 2007... it'll have errors, but open, not displaying cameras.  The light glyphs will show, but if you try to select them, errors occur, and Autocad 2008 will crash with an unhandled exception error.

yay.

Since I had planned on replacing the lighting with the new 2008 stuff, I'm just opening in 2007 and deleting lights and resaving... hopefully that'll do 'er.

*edit*

Opened in 2007... deleted all cameras and lights, purged, saved, opened in 2008 with no problem... I think I remember reading about seperate conversion tools for bring older version lights and cameras into 2007 version, when 2007 came out which makes me think this is "normal" *cough*
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:16:22 PM by Josh Nieman »

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »
The layer control by viewport is the best new feature for my application and I may even use the dashboard now that I can put stuff I use on it - was able to dump my side toolbars and put them in the flyout and saved some screen real estate.   Unfortunately, he autoscaling and rotating text is not as useful as it could be were the insert points not fixed regardless of the view.  At least they made it a style option so the feature isn't forced in crowded areas where it is not practical.

pmvliet

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »
<looking in mailbox>

Me too!   :-(

Josh Nieman

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
<looking in mailbox>
<looking in mailbox>

haha... i feel bad for you guys... for some reason... we just got a SECOND shipment in the mail, lol.

whdjr

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 03:35:21 PM »
<looking in mailbox>
<looking in mailbox>

haha... i feel bad for you guys... for some reason... we just got a SECOND shipment in the mail, lol.

1st dibs...I got 1st dibs... :evil: