Author Topic: "Open source software for architects"  (Read 10611 times)

Antisthenes

Re: "Open source software for architects"
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2007, 08:04:16 PM »
i would not give so much praise to acad personally and the support is more than 1/2 user complaints over there

i never having a class in it and being a master of it says how unvast it is to me,  long time use factored in of course.

esthetically upgrades to appease the stockholders
great that it has been here for us by times are changing and the anti-BIM movement and alternative solutions having their effect.
i thought this was the swamp....

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2007, 08:14:22 PM »
i would not give so much praise to acad personally and the support is more than 1/2 user complaints over there

People tend to complain faster than they'd praise.  Besides, I'm not sure what you mean by "over there" because the subscription support is a one-on-one thing.. not a public thing.  If you mean the discussion groups, then that's NOT what I meant by 'support' by a long shot,  :-D

i never having a class in it and being a master of it says how unvast it is to me,  long time use factored in of course.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unvast" .. I mean... I probably only use 20% of the commands and it does everything I need it to, just about.  Most all of my issues with the program are merely HOW it does it.

esthetically upgrades to appease the stockholders

Gotta keep up with trends, I guess.

great that it has been here for us by times are changing and the anti-BIM movement and alternative solutions having their effect.

I don't see how an anti-BIM movement will affect them at all.  Don't want a BIM program?  Get a non-BIM program... Need BIM?  Get one.  They don't offer only one solution.  I don't see that we will -EVER- need anything more than vanilla Autocad. 

That's 1 point on the scoreboard.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »
i never having a class in it and being a master of it says how unvast it is to me,

Ever had a class in baiting?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
i never having a class in it and being a master of it says how unvast it is to me,

:-D
...long time use factored in of course.

Practice leads to being a master!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:43:30 PM by Josh Nieman »

M-dub

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »

In what sense of the word?  :-D

CADaver

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »
well how much is your companies subscription and upgrade costs i would ask?

have you used Intellicad? there is no learning curve all the commands are the same,  it truly is a clone and can be free:

Its not even a good false clone.  Well over two-thirds of our customization and all of our 3D stuff fails to work with it.  Now I could spend several thousand dollars worth of development time making it work or I could buy the right stuff to start.

CADaver

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »
Okay, sorry I gotta take the bait here.  I've been using the software for some twenty-three years (over fifty thousand production hours), have been a registered developer for much of that, been both an academic and industrial instructor of the program for nearly twenty years.  In maybe another ten years I might have mastered half the program.  My experience in the past with people who claim to have "mastered" the program means they know how to use maybe ten or fifteen percent of the capability of the program, usually much less than that.  So I have to ask, what is your definition of "being a master of it"?

You REALLY need to check industries OTHER than those trying to discredit the front-runners.  BIM is alive and QUITE well among those who can actually accomplish it, and is rapidly becoming the standard in many industries.  Of course those are industries with a lot more to count than the number of windows in a house.

it is.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »
<MusingToSelf> What if Clinton G. and Dean S. had a love child. </MusingToSelf>
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »
<MusingToSelf>Are there sufficient Mods on Forums</MusingToSelf>
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

daron

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 08:30:04 AM »
<MusingToSelf>Are there sufficient Mods on Forums</MusingToSelf>
Are you pining for the position? :-D

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
Nope, just positing the possible necessity at the realization of Michaels musings.

(see, I can do alliteration too :) )
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.