Author Topic: "Open source software for architects"  (Read 11209 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
"Open source software for architects"
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:06 AM »
Quote from: article
When I began my career as an assistant architect 12 years ago, I used AutoCAD R12, 3D Studio, CorelDraw 6.0, and Photoshop 4.0 for architectural drawing and 3-D modeling. Today, many architects still use their later versions, but those bulky packages provide many functions an architect will never use. Luckily, there are several open source alternatives that are well-suited for architects -- QCad in place of AutoCAD, Blender instead of 3DMax, Inkscape in place of CorelDraw, and the GIMP as a substitute for Photoshop.

[ http://www.linux.com/feature/119278 ]
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Josh Nieman

Re: "Open source software for architects"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:41:35 AM »
I use Gimp in replace of PS, because I don't use Photoshop type stuff often enough to warrant an expense of it, and the Gimp works just as well.

I know Blender can yield results that rival 3dsmax, C4d, or whatever else out there you may use.

I have no idea about Inkscape or QCad though...

I do know that if anyone has apprehensions about the quality or capabilities of open source software, there's no worry about that with Blender or Gimp... top notch stuff.

quamper

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »
I really like Inkscape for what I've done with it. But then again someone who uses Illustrator or Corel more intensively may have a different opinion.

Scribus is a great desktop publishing app that wasn't mentioned

LE

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:35:25 AM »
The release of the QCad community edition follows a few months behind the professional edition. For example, the latest version of the community edition is 2.0.5.0, while the professional edition is at 2.1.3.2. The latter charges $33 for a single user. You can also download the demo version of the professional edition and use it for 100 hours with no function limits, though it shuts down once every 10 minutes.

QCad has strong tools for point, line, arc, circle, ellipse, polyline, NURBS, text, dimensioning, hatches and solid fills, and measuring. It can also use raster images, and has many other edit tools. The command line is under the main window, and you can accurately control your drawing here. In a word, an experienced architect can find all he needs for architectural plans.

On the down side, QCad doesn't support AutoCAD's DWG files.

No thanks!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:50:39 AM »
The release of the QCad community edition follows a few months behind the professional edition. For example, the latest version of the community edition is 2.0.5.0, while the professional edition is at 2.1.3.2. The latter charges $33 for a single user. You can also download the demo version of the professional edition and use it for 100 hours with no function limits, though it shuts down once every 10 minutes.

QCad has strong tools for point, line, arc, circle, ellipse, polyline, NURBS, text, dimensioning, hatches and solid fills, and measuring. It can also use raster images, and has many other edit tools. The command line is under the main window, and you can accurately control your drawing here. In a word, an experienced architect can find all he needs for architectural plans.

On the down side, QCad doesn't support AutoCAD's DWG files.

No thanks!
It does support DXF though.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Antisthenes

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »
DXF yuck!
segments ,  that is like mesh to NURBS.  approximation to accuracy,  segments of likes vs curves

i like the idea you are promotion Mark Thomas, alternatives, as we do need them
i say a better solution(s) are other tools:

i like Artweaver  in place of PS  , www.artweaver.de
 "     IntelliCAD    "        " "  Autocad   , http://www.softsea.com/review/ProgeCAD-LT-2006.html  (here is the free progecad 2006 LT)  see Intellicad.org for all the other 'partners/products'  ArchT, Architecturals etc
  "    Rhinoceros  "   "   "  "  Illustrator/max/autocad/indesign  (add Brazil , Maxwell, Vray, Fryrender, Indigo, Renderman, Flamingo, Penguin  .. to render and Bongo to animate )

Intellicad being Open source with linux versions in Bricscad and it has full DWG compatibility in OpenDWG that Rhinoceros also uses and does as far as DWG compatibility with all current standard conventions

sure they are no revit archicad microstation or vectorworks.    but there is tools like Archcut http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/ArchCut.html for Rhinoceros as well as all the traditional methods we know and use from the past till now plus way more flexibility over the control of your geometry, florkflow plus all the more advanced objs you can make.

Interoperability

i am still stuck in one area i like the Adobe Acrobat PDF print driver the best even thou i know tools like   http://PDFCreator.sf.net that are open source exist too.

daron

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:12:26 PM »
Me, I'll take the original list with autocad. Blender rocks and the Gimp and Inkscape are great for what they do. I've tried bricscad, ICAD Architecturals, and Qcad and have found none of them to my liking.

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
???

Josh Nieman

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »
???

ok I'll do it.

Whatcha thinkin' CADaver? :)

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 06:13:25 PM »
???

ok I'll do it.

I "was" thinkin I made a reply to this thread over the weekend.....

Josh Nieman

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 06:21:08 PM »
???

ok I'll do it.

Musta missed it.  Guess that's what I get for not hangin' out here on the weekends.

Jakes GrandPa

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:23:14 PM »
???

ok I'll do it.

I thought you did too, but maybe both of us are remembering things that never happened...

quamper

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »
I get those email notifications about new posts after posting in a thread, I looked back through them in my trash folder and there was no reply from you over the weekend that I could find...

:loco: ?

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
oh well it was probably best......

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 12:19:37 PM »
Randy, It was a different thread I think.

I do wish we could get a good DWG compatible competitor. Competition is good, right Randy? Even if it's open source maybe? :)