Author Topic: Drifting Mouse  (Read 4457 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Drifting Mouse
« on: December 04, 2005, 01:48:57 PM »
Saw Hyposmurf's last post about the Best Mouse for CAD, so decided to ask this:
Has anyone experienced a mouse with a mind own?
@ work I'll be on CAD 05 putting ink on paper like a good Cady and the mouse will "jump" from one spot to another. One second I'm drawing a line, look down and rt click, look up and I was on the Windows start button, which opened the start programs. I' ve actually seen the pointer jump. The IT thinks its the mouse pad, but I have cleaned it, even got the Dorito dust off the keyboard. Its a standard Dell optical mouse.
Any Ideas?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

M-dub

Re: Drifting Mouse
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »
I think this is a common problem with optical mice.  I've experienced it on a number of different machines.  It does the same thing on each machine I've experienced it on too.  The cursor starts drifting up to the top left corner.  ALWAYS in that direction.  Is this what it does for you?

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 07:44:48 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed the "drifting" up, but what irritates me is the cursor will be in one corner, then bam, be in the opposite corner in the blink of an eye. This I have never noticed any where else.
Acad 2013 and XM

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 08:15:07 PM »
I've found when the mouse starts to play up how you mentioned it's either the surface the mouse is on or lint in the 'optical' part. Although you can use an optical on most surfaces without a mouse pad some surfaces such as polished timber and even the plain white laminate can cause trouble.
Another thing I've noticed is if your mouse pad has a certain shade of red it can cause the mouse to behave erratically also ???
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 06:20:12 AM »
I've noticed that too. It seeme to be worse on a woodgrain effect.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 07:37:37 AM »
You can avoid this by using a Laser Mouse. Works perfect on all surfaces, See:
http://www.theswamp.org/forum/index.php?topic=7213.0
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

SDETERS

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 08:22:25 AM »
Would it have anything to do with how your windows is set up?

Check out your pointer options in you mouse settings

Does it have "automatically move mouse to the default"  or something to this?

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:18:38 AM »
Whenever I've noticed it happening, as soon as I move the mouse, even a HAIR, it stops.  Strange problem indeed.

hendie

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 09:30:26 AM »
I get it quite often too ~ and I use twin screens ~ what a nightmare trying to find the little blighter

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 10:01:53 AM »
Would it have anything to do with how your windows is set up?

Check out your pointer options in you mouse settings

Does it have "automatically move mouse to the default"  or something to this?

Nope no default snap setting, thanks for the thought  :-)
This is not really an accuracy issue, (never worried bout that much  :-D),this #$%^ thing jumps from one corner of the screen to the opposite. If it happened in Google Earth I'd be in Florida then bam Seattle.
Mick - no red on this mouse pad, wish I could say the same of my dwg's  :-D
Tried a shot of air on it to see how the day goes
Acad 2013 and XM

pmvliet

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »
I too have this problem where my pointer will gradually move to the upper left only on my home computer though. Mouse doesn't move, but the cursor will. I may try and get a mouse pad for the optical and see if that resolves it.

Work I have an optical with a mouse pad and I never have had a wandering cursor...
 :-o

pieter

Bob Wahr

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 05:19:10 PM »
I used to have the wandering cursor problem but it was on a laptop so I thought that the problem was with the little rough knob in the middle of the keyboard.

At work, I recently started using a mouse pad.  I hadn't been but decided to switch as I found a Dell one sitting around. It is plastic with a qbert pattern carved into it.  Whe I started using it, I started getting the random mouse hops fairly frequently.  Hadn't put the two together until this thread though, so I am fixed (or so my wife would have me believe) now.  My advice would be to make sure that you're not using it on a reflective/semi-reflective, etc. surface.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 06:08:52 PM »
Bob,
 This is really weird...
 Yesterday I had enough when twice the pointer would jump from the rt third of the screen to the top, then crawl across to the top to the left, (like a real, 4 legged mouse along a baseboard), while the mouse was in my hand!!!!!!. (Did I mention this was twice  :pissed:)
 My light blue Dell mouse pad, with the circular "Dell" in the center and the www..... , super thin, has been in the drawer all day, and not a problem, all day! Have the mouse straight on the formica table top.
If you want it I'll mail it to ya! (if you're in Tucson I'll deliver to your door, its getting a tad chilly in PHX)  :-D
Acad 2013 and XM

Bob Wahr

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »
Heh, didn't realize you were in PHX but coming here wouldn't warm you up any.  I wore my jacket all morning in the office, not to mention the well freezing over night (again).  We'll have to try to get the AZ contingent together for a beer sometime soon.

Sounds like about the same mouse pad I was using only mine was black and grey.  You would think that someone at Dell would be smart enough to realize that the POS pads they send out screw up the functioning of the mice they send out.  Sounds like one of those super smart "but we got a good buy on them" corporate decisions.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 06:36:44 PM »
Yeah, I'm ready !
We'll get all of AZ together, have a brew + burn Dell mouse pads, like they did with Boy George LP's   :lol:
(Sometime when its between 30 degrees F and 120 F)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 06:58:57 PM by WannaBeCader »
Acad 2013 and XM