Author Topic: Vault for Civil 3D - Webinars/videos  (Read 8911 times)

sinc

Re: Vault for Civil 3D - Webinars/videos
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »
I would almost be willing to wager that more people know what a Bong is and how it works; as compared to what BIM really is and how it should work.

We're in an industry that THRIVES on standardization.  Sure, some of those vary due to location, but there still tend to be standards for wherever we work.

Same thing in the computer industry.  If we didn't have standards, we'd have no internet.  If every individual company had their own version of something similar to TCP/IP or UDP/IP, we'd have no connectivity at all.

SOME central body needs to be in charge of deciding what "BIM" means, and how it's implemented.  We've made a start, with LandXML, but that's very limited in what it can transfer, and is also implemented differently in different vendors, meaning it can't be fully trusted.

It's a mess right now...  We (as a community) need to sort it out...  And that involves getting all the "Big Players" (like Autodesk, among others) involved in hashing out the solutions in a collaborative way.  Which probably means some sort of independent entity, such as ISO, IEEE, and IETF that helped create a working internet that now benefits all of us.

bdough15

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:04 AM »
Wedding:  Serious question on this.  In an office of 25 or less do you really see a need to have something tracking all that when you can do basically the same thing with Windows Explorer and little old fashioned disscussion between the parties involved?  We have had several Architects that want us to use their "BIM" network to coordinate but they never seem to work right since at the end of the project we have no where near completed Structural Plans and the Architect and Structural are using a site plan from three weeks before as their final product despite the fact that we uploaded the latest and greatest the day it was done.  To me it seems like Vault may be useful to a large Company where there is no idea what one person is doing at any one time, I worked in this type of environment in the past and I could see how the Vault would useful there but in a smaller Company it seems like VCault would be much more of a hassle than a help.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »
Vault is a product in search of a reason to exist.

As stated in previous and emphasized by the above.
If you are hacing the issues that Vault is supposed to solve, or eliminate you have bigger problems,
that no softare can save you from.

Poor management of projects, persons, or resources can not be resolved through software.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

bdough15

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »

Poor management of projects, persons, or resources can not be resolved through software.

MJ, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about it!  :laugh:

Wedding

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »
Wedding: In an office of 25 or less do you really see a need to have something tracking all that when you can do basically the same thing with Windows Explorer and little old fashioned disscussion between the parties involved? 

I absolutely think it makes sense in a small office. I think the Eng vs Surveyor debate is one that never seems to end, no matter the size of the company, and in my opinion, changing permissions as data moves through an approval process is pretty painful using Windows. Done automatically with Vault (after setup of course.)

The other piece that I find important is the automatic distribution of data to my outside collaborators. I once did a review on a Tech that was spending 4 hours a week on collaborating and data transfer. He handled many of the "Please send me X,Y, Z," requests as well as the "Here's an e-mail from so and so, put it in the right place," type information. If I could only cut that in HALF (still wasting 2 hours a week, IMO,) at a billing rate of 80$/hour, 52 weeks a year, that's 8,320 a year. That's more than enough to make a positive ROI on a Vault Collaboration installation. I fully agree that I won't have that impact across the full company, but there's time savings for all parties. With Vault, my partners never have to ask me to send them the latest, they already have it up on Buzzsaw, the minute my PM has approved and released it. They can access it from their computer, from their iPad, from their whatever. That's a level of service you can offer to your clients that I think makes for good business.

I agree with Michael that nothing can save you from poor management, but that doesn't mean you can't solve some of the problems and make life easier.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:30 AM »
The issue with windows file permissions outlined above is not that difficult to resolve.

The issue(s) about distribution is also resolved through use of an FTP site and user permissions as well.
If one manged the technology, some guy is not being bothered to send anyone any files.
As they would be loaded to the FTP site and a simple link would be all that needed to be distributed.
I think the numbers used above are either an exaggeration, or an example of poor data (time) management practices.

And we agree that software alone can not solve thaat problem.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
UPDATE:

The client I am training in Qatar has just passed on a multi-thousand pound purchase of VAULT
as autodesk can not resolve serious issue with the Vault 2012 plug-in even after custom writing several
hot fixes in an effort to secure the sale to this particular client.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell