Author Topic: I MAY get them to upgrade, but....  (Read 4513 times)

craigr

I MAY get them to upgrade, but....
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
I MAY be able to get them to give us the latest version of LT. - We are currently on LT2008.

What is the latest version out?

When we bought LT2008, they came out with the next Rev a few months later. Are they going to come out with another rev in a couple of months? If so, I will just wait.

I hope I explained what I am after well enough.

craigr

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: I MAY get them to upgrade, but....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Cannot say due to ADN agreement but last couple of years it came out in April.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »
YES a new version is on the way
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bob Garner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »
I've been running ACAD Lt 2010 at home.  I like it.  I recently bought ACAD Lt 2012 because I got an early-buy discount, but I have not installed it yet.

This product keeps getting more expensive.  After my 2012 upgrade, I'm going to go for an alternative to ACAD.  Bricscad??

craigr

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »
I have looked at Briscad a couple of times. BUT, unfortunately, our Industry often calls for Strictly AutoDesk AutoCAD format.

So, I have considered looking into switching everyone to Briscad, and keeping ONE seat of AutoCAD simply to convert the BrisCAD to AutoDesk, then send them out as AutoDesk format.

I haven't really looked into if this is even possible &/or what the ramifications might be. OR, how much  Briscad IS.

I've simply been tossing the idea around in my head.

We only use 10 seats of CAD, so I don't know if the savings of the software would even be worth it. PLUS, on top of that is the cost of Loss of production until everyone gets up to speed in Briscad.

craigr

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »
I have looked at Briscad a couple of times. BUT, unfortunately, our Industry often calls for Strictly AutoDesk AutoCAD format.

So, I have considered looking into switching everyone to Briscad, and keeping ONE seat of AutoCAD simply to convert the BrisCAD to AutoDesk, then send them out as AutoDesk format.

I haven't really looked into if this is even possible &/or what the ramifications might be. OR, how much  Briscad IS.

I've simply been tossing the idea around in my head.

We only use 10 seats of CAD, so I don't know if the savings of the software would even be worth it. PLUS, on top of that is the cost of Loss of production until everyone gets up to speed in Briscad.

craigr
There is no Bricscad "format" as opposed to the Autodesk DWG.  It reads, writes and works in DWG format by default.  The only clue that the drawings were not created with AutoCAD will be a flag upon opening a drawing created with Bircscad that it was not created with an "authentic Autodesk product."  Likewise there is not much involved in getting users "up to speed."  You will likely need to examine all of your scripts and make some minor modifications but I think most of that would be required with a new release of LT.
I just downloaded a 30 day trial to evaluate for replacing our LT2004 product.  I think it is essentially equivalent to a standard version of r2010.  After 3 days of playing, I am ready to present the evaluation package to Bossman as soon as I get the printer files completed.

craigr

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
Well, the 'Flag' thing worries me. - I didn't know there would be one of those.

I wonder if there is a way to make that flag permanantly go away.

I know of a couple of our outside companies / engineers that would probably 'Have a Fit' if they found out any portion of our dwgs were produced with 'an inferior product'. - They are HARDCORE AutoDesk people.

But then again, I sure wouldn't want to try to put something over on them. Perhaps after I look into things, if it looks like it would work for us, I will discuss with THEM before making the jump.

craigr

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
You are running LT, so one of the few up-sides is you don't need to worry about add-in compatibility.  If object enablers are concerned you *may* run into some problems.

Don't worry too much about the non-AutoDesk warning, I've been seeing it a lot more than I used to.  We use ISOGEN to automatically spin off piping isometrics with the same error, but no complaints from the clients.  You may get continuous questions from recipients to "redo the drawing so I don't get the error", the same way you may get annoying basic support questions about how to load XREFs, line types, etc.  If you are lucky they will accept turning off the warning.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
It used to be just a notation on the command line while the drawing was loaded.  I think saving it with an Autodesk product should clear it for future openings.  You can also set it to always save down to your current LT version and open with that so a new Version of LT should not be needed to be compatible.
Pricing looks like it will be $395 to $675 per seat depending on the license you buy.
I think your outside folk are looking more for a genuine DWG as opposed to to something translated from a non native DWG format.  Bricscad should fulfill that requirement with no difficulty.

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
addendum ...

I just opened a drawing I created using Bricscad that I saved down to 2004 format.  LT had no indication that it was non-genuine.  Additionally, the drawing itself was originally a DXF file exported from our design software so that warning does not run very deep.  Based on that, I would suggest saving V12 Bricscad drawings down to your current LT native format will not throw the message on your client's computer.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
FWIW -- I have a number of drawings that originally derived from uStn, and they still flash the "oh noes" message that it was last saved by a non-autodesk product.  Considering that the drawings in question have been repeatedly editd in Acad, saved from Acad, and even gone form 2006 to 2011 Acad versions, that alleged warning is basically FUD mongering, dishonest, and factually incorrect.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
FWIW -- I have a number of drawings that originally derived from uStn, and they still flash the "oh noes" message that it was last saved by a non-autodesk product.  Considering that the drawings in question have been repeatedly editd in Acad, saved from Acad, and even gone form 2006 to 2011 Acad versions, that alleged warning is basically FUD mongering, dishonest, and factually incorrect.

Not quite.  The original data is non-AutoCAD and some of it may have not been touched by any AutoCAD operation e.g. custom data in the named object dictionary.  If something goes wrong with the drawing due to that data, its not due to AutoCAD but the originating program.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Dinosaur

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
I think that this is the situation craigr's associates are wanting to avoid with their requirements and why I think Bricscad should cause him no problems in that regard.  There is no other format to translate from that would not be compatible with standard AutoCAD.  Bricscad does not generate any custom objects that AutoCAD does not understand without resorting to object enablers.  I would expect him to have problems with AutoCAD vertical product generated DWG files before ones created with Bricscad.

craigr

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »
I have not looked into the Cost of LT yet, BUT, I did tell our IT Dept. to hold on my request for LT. I am going to wait for the Latest Rev to come out, then purchase that Rev.

I have HEAVILY customized LT with MANY Macros. I then load them on all 10 of our seats of LT. - I am assuming that BrisCAD can be customized like LT, but can I distribute those customizations easily like I can with LT?

Besides the price difference, what would I be gaining by going with BrisCAD? - I know I can do the 30 day trial, but I really don't have the time to 'Play'. I am hoping for the input from you folks before I take time away from Production to 'play'. If the concenses says it is MUCH Better and I will really gain by switching, then I will take that time and give the trial a chance.

Thanks for all of the Input folks. Please keep it coming.

craigr

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
Cannot say due to ADN agreement but last couple of years it came out in April.
actually it has been released sometime between March 22 and March 28.
I've never used BrisCAD, I've tried messing around with the Linux version, but not really had anytime.  However, if everything that has been said so far is true, then the biggest advantage to it over LT is that it contains more of the functionality that is within full blown AutoCAD.  Even if they are a few years behind in features, the most recent versions of AutoCAD have not had a feature set that has been extremely compelling.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10