Author Topic: Civil 3D vs. AMEP?  (Read 4310 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Civil 3D vs. AMEP?
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
I've never used AutoCAD MEP (AMEP) before, and am curious to know what you folks are using for utility, and infrastructure projects?

** Specifically, for site, roadway, environmental... not architectural

Right now, my company is pushing Civil 3D which is perfectly fine for me as part of our Transportation group, however, I'm currently working with our utility, and infrastructure group, and just found out that they're wanting me to transfer to their group permanently.

What I've noticed with Civil 3D is that our corporate catalog is greatly lacking, with respect to the multitude of pipe types, and materials that are needed for (IMO) basic items... To be clear, the catalog being provided is NOT meant to be complete, and is more of a 'go this way' kind of recommendation.

I have taken the time to merge multiple catalogs to give myself the best possible starting point. Aside from items like elliptical pipes, drainage structures, etc. the other items NOT included are all of the parametric parts needed for a proper utility design... valves, hydrants, ARV's, tees, wyes, etc.

This is where I suspect that AMEP may be better suited... as the purchase of a parts catalog is not likely.

Any help, or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D vs. AMEP?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
I have ran a couple of experimental (or just mental) projects through MEP, as opposed to Civil 3D.
The difference is in level of detail.  For general drainage, storm drain and sanitary sewer C3D is adequate.
If one wants a higher level of deatail MEP seems to be the better product.
The exception being no use of the Storm and Sanitary analysis tools as in C3D if one uses the MEP product.
Blending the two together is really the best of both worlds.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
Thank you Michael, for the prompt response.

We have the software (AMEP), but getting corporate to authorize the creating of a corporate install image is my issue. I'm wondering if I can merge the OOTB AMEP parts catalog (*.apc) with that of the 'Frankenstein' catalog I've made as my starting point?

... I guess a more appropriate question is does AMEP use an .apc parts catalog, as Civil 3D does?

** Edit - I 'spose I'll just download the trial at home.

If not, I have a feeling that I'm going to be doing a LOT of parametric part modeling shortly! LoL Which is fine, nobody else in my region knows how to (yet). They didn't even know parts catalogs could be merged. LoL

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:34:32 PM »
AMEP does use .apc catalogs, which can be merged.

**Edit - '... Can be merged'... theoretically, given that both use XML-based .apc files. Admittedly, the directory structure for the contained .apc, part's .bmp, .dwg, and .xml are different. I have yet to test this MEP->C3D merge theory.

Now I just need to get AMEP 'approved' so I can merge the catalogs with authorized software (not going to use the 30-day trial files)... Shouldn't be too hard to convince them when I also provide an initial estimate for the time I *think* it would take me to personally model each part needed parametrically!  :lol: LoL
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:06:11 PM by RenderMan »

sinc

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
Not directly related to your question, but more about forum etiquette...

The attached image shows what your forum post looks like to me, when you change the color of text like that...  VERY hard to read.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »
when you change the color of text like that...  VERY hard to read.
For me as well.... And the new code tags that add color coding are almost impossible for me to read for the same reason.

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »
sinc and Jeff ... I agree those are near impossible to read with the dark themes.  I have found that it is possible however, to highlight that text via click and drag and it becomes quite readable.  Is a hassle you should not have to go through to help someone on a forum but still a way to get by.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
.... highlight that text via click and drag and it becomes quite readable.  Is a hassle you should not have to go through to help someone on a forum but still a way to get by.
Yep, that's exactly what I do...just a minor irritation to have to do so (minor enough that I hadn't said anything until now).

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »
Sorry for the difficulty... I really don't see how that's considered an issue of etiquette when I have the default theme current, and no way of knowing what theme anyone else is using... But I'll try not to use coloring. It's been very helpful giving my theme selection.

Cheers! :beer:

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Sorry for the difficulty... I really don't see how that's considered an issue of etiquette when I have the default theme current, and no way of knowing what theme anyone else is using... But I'll try not to use coloring. It's been very helpful giving my theme selection.

Cheers! :beer:
I thought it more a point of information for future posting, actually.  For reference, there are a few colors available that are more or less compatible with both the lighter default theme and the themes preferred by those crossed over to the dark side.  In general, the very bright and very dark colors will not work for both, but the darker Teal, Green and Brown colors seem to usually be OK.  A good reference would be to look at the colors assigned to Administrators, Super Mods and Moderators in the list of "who's on line".

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »
why should your use of a 'special' theme be anyones' issue other than your own 'special' self?

Just askin....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/