Author Topic: Training, which direction.  (Read 2243 times)

DAMNGOOD

Training, which direction.
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »
Hi,

Currently been doing some small lisp routines and some training in Visual LISP.  Our workplace has many licences for ACAD 2000 but we are heading towards updating to 2010.  What I would like to know is where best should I invest my time in training for developing ACAD applications.  I understand this is not a cut and dried answer but would appreciate some feed back.  I'm currently just starting to read up on .NET developers guide through autodesk but sense I'm at a fork in the road into what language to concetrate my self training on.  Is that the right question, I am very green in this field.  Thanks.

irneb

• Water Moccasin
  • ACad R9-2016, Revit Arch 6-2016
Re: Training, which direction.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:06:01 AM »
There isn't really a "right" answer to this question. You have 3 options: lisp, dotnet, arx (in order of complexity and power). It depends on the custom codes you'll be creating, some might be impossible to do purely in lisp, a smaller subset may be difficult (if not impossible) in dotnet.

For me, I'd suggest using at least lisp and dotnet. You'd probably need at least a grasp on some basic lisp, even if you make your customizations in dotnet or arx. Even just to use as a way to load your ARX or DLL files.

If you go the dotnet route, you have a further decision to make. What language? VB / C# / other. Basically here I'd look at one where you can get the most samples. For that reason I like C#
Common sense - the curse in disguise. Because if you have it, you have to live with those that don't.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »
Learn LISP first - its portable across many version of AutoCAD.  It is relatively easy to pick up and apply quickly (very important for a beginning programmer), meaning small problems can be solved more quickly and less frustration as you expand to moderate-sized solutions.  In the meantime, start learning the basics of .NET unrelated to AutoCAD and software development procedures.  They will stand you in good stead in the long run, and both can be applied as you do more LISP.  The experience in getting AutoCAD to do things in LISP will then enable you to better understand where and how .NET interacts with AutoCAD.

Unless you plan on making your own full-scale plug in applications for AutoCAD, ARX can keep until you start working on something hugely complicated in .NET.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »
You would be amazed at what you can do with LISP.
Just look through this and the Show Me forum for examples.
Also visit Lee Mac's Web site.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
Also visit Lee Mac's Web site.

Cheers dude  8-)