Author Topic: Volume Calc EG to Datum Road AutoCad 2009 Civil 3D  (Read 5926 times)

wbonnet

Volume Calc EG to Datum Road AutoCad 2009 Civil 3D
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
I have a corridor built.  I am using a simple generic pavement assembly with daylight slopes at each end that intersect with my existing surface.  I have tried creating a datum surface in my corridor properties so that I can use it to compare that to my existing surface.  I cannot seem to create the material (area between my datum and EG).  I have the assembly set up so that the links that I want, all have a datum codes associated with them, but the datum surface does not appear when I go to compute materials and want to select a datum surface, the existing surface does appear.  My sample lines are set up to sample the corridor I have built, as well as the existing surface. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wbonnet

Re: Volume Calc EG to Datum Road AutoCad 2009 Civil 3D
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:28:45 AM »
Alright so I think my problem was in my sample line sources.  I added the datum source from the assembly that I have, but now my cross sections are showing a datum surface that goes outside of my daylighting on either side of my generic pavement structures.  This datum surface does what I want it to do inside the daylighting, but then outside it appears that there is an imaginary surface I never topoed or assigned daylighting properties to.  It is shading these areas on my cross sections and calculating volumes that I do not want.  I am going to be messing around with trying to get this sample source surface to act the way I want, but would appreciate any input on how to get this to calculate the volume I want only.  Could my problem be with the assembly I am using?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »
did you apply a boundary to the corridor (datum) surface?

can you end me a copy of the annoying file?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
after that you will then need to define a quantity take off criteria
using your sample line group as the source.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »
Boundary?  I figured the link slope to surface with a datum code would do the trick.  Does the datum continue if you do not put this boundary in?

wbonnet

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Alright so I'm guessing I have to make a boundary, out of the the breakline I create, where the link slope to surface intersects with the existing surface???  Run the corridor, grab the lines, add the boundary, run again with boundary lines?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »
Alright so I'm guessing I have to make a boundary, out of the the breakline I create, where the link slope to surface intersects with the existing surface???  Run the corridor, grab the lines, add the boundary, run again with boundary lines?
Withing the Corridors Parameters one can ADD a Boundary (See the Boundary tab?)
One applied your datum should no longer TIN across the limits of the boundary on curves or at angle points.

The 'extra' volumes you speak of are due to you not using YOUR Quatinty take off Criteria, instead of STANDARD or other that is in the DWT you started with.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
Lost me on the quantity take off criteria, instead of standard... is this in my compute materials menu?  I don't have many options here, just base and compare.  So I still need to apply a boundary every time I want to run a volume calc?  How do I use my Quantity takeoff criteria?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Lost me on the quantity take off criteria, instead of standard... is this in my compute materials menu?  I don't have many options here, just base and compare.  So I still need to apply a boundary every time I want to run a volume calc?  How do I use my Quantity takeoff criteria?
right when you run the Compute materials it uses whatever Quantity Take off Criteria is set in the dialog.  Which one did YOU create?  Use that one.
Otherwise what is the base and compare? How would you know?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
Apologies for the brief answers earlier in the day...

Notice in your prospector that your surface names do NOT have the same names as those that the Quantity take off Criteria (defined by Autodesk).  You will wanto to make your own, and use the Define From sample line group button to get the surfaces you sampled into the list so that you can set up...
Earthwork and select your base and compare to get the correct volumes.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

wbonnet

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:24 AM »
Alright so I've set that up and got it to compare what I have listed as Gravel QTY calculator datum and Existing Middlefield road.  Why is the datum for that assembly giving a random surface for finish ground outside of the limits of my link slope to surface???

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
I will need to look much more closely at your data.
Specifically...the Boundary you applied to you corridor surface.
The Existing ground Model
Slope and connection assumptions...it could be that is it (the FG-Datum) is doing exactly what you have told it to do.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
When you have verified the surface boundary, feel free to send me a copy of that file.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell