Author Topic: Selection Problem  (Read 4745 times)

bman

Selection Problem
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:39:42 AM »
Is there a limited amount of items that you can select at one time?
I'm trying to select about 1000 items on the same layer using a crossing but it's excluding about 300 random items.

t-bear

Selection Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:00:31 AM »
Could they be on a locked layer?

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 09:06:24 AM »
I thought the same thing but all the items are on the same layer. It's wierd because when I select all items using a crossing it misses random items, but I am able to select those items previously omitted individually.

Bob Garner

Selection Problem
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 10:24:07 AM »
I recall that in ACAD 2002, items selected that were subsequently panned off screen can become unselected.  But generally they were not randomly unselected.  This was a bug with no fix that I'm aware of.

Bob

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:28:59 PM »
Bob, Thanks for the tip, I tried zooming extents & erasing using a crossing w/o panning & it still missed the same items & I tried wblocking using a crossing & it still left out the same items.  I can zoom in & erase those items left behind one by one though.

CADaver

Selection Problem
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »
Are you sure you're using CROSSING window and not WINDOW for the selection?

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:15:02 PM »
cadaver, i've tried a crossing & window & it still excludes random pieces of text.  The objects selected by using a crossing are highlighted & I've tried to individually select the random objects left behind & it just won't select them. If I escape my current selection & then select the random objects previously  excluded one by one, then they become part of my selection & are highlighted.  It's almost as if there is a setting that only allows a maximum number of items selected at once.

whodo

Selection Problem
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »
i have seen this before when the items were on a different
z plane.
If this is a drawing with different z coordinates it can do this
check the layout of the drawing by using ddvpoint

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 08:29:46 AM »
whodo, It's set to 270,90 & still have the problem....thanks for the info.

BAshworth

Selection Problem
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 08:52:58 AM »
Does this behavior work across other drawings, or is it just this particular one?

drizzt

Selection Problem
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »
Could the items that don't get selected be blocks with insertion points way out in space somewhere?

hendie

Selection Problem
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 03:29:32 PM »
Could this be the source of your problem ~ the objects ARE being selected but it's just the grips that aren't highlighting ?

One of the biggest changes that happened back in AutoCAD 2004 was the ability to control the Grips being displayed on screen based on the number of objects selected.

The System Variable called GRIPOBJLIMIT controls this behavior.  As there is no way to completely turn the feature off, you can adjust the limit to a larger number.  The valid range is 1 to 32767 and by default it is set to 100.  This means if you select 100 objects or less Grips will be displayed, but if you select 101 objects Grips won't be displayed.  Now there is a way around this.  The workaround is to select at least one object and then the remainder of the objects that you want to edit with Grips.  This will override the GRIPOBJLIMIT because it sees Grips are already being displayed for some objects.

Along with using the System Variable GRIPOBJLIMIT to change the value, it can also be changed under Selection tab of OPTIONS.

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 11:00:58 AM »
Quote from: BAshworth
Does this behavior work across other drawings, or is it just this particular one?

Yes it has the same behavior across multiple dwgs. I just opened the same dwg up on a different machine & selected items using a crossing & it selected everything....but on my computer it's excluding various pieces of text & other entities.

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 11:02:50 AM »
Quote from: drizzt
Could the items that don't get selected be blocks with insertion points way out in space somewhere?

none of the items i'm selecting are blocks, just text, line, & ellipses.
i'm stumped!!!

bman

Selection Problem
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 11:06:44 AM »
Quote from: hendie
Could this be the source of your problem ~ the objects ARE being selected but it's just the grips that aren't highlighting ?

The objects aren't being selected or highlighted at all. I checked the GRIPOBJLIMIT setting on the other machine that successfully wblocked all the items & it was set to 100. It worked fine on the other machine.