Author Topic: Think twice about installing 'Cooper'  (Read 1878 times)

craigr

Think twice about installing 'Cooper'
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
You may not want to install 'Cooper' from Autodesk on a machine that has AutoCAD LT, (I don't know about other versions).

I installed Cooper on my machine just to check it out, and it hosed my 'Properties' box within my LT. The properties box would appear, but it was empty. No cells / text.

I tried several things to get it back and was only a couple of steps away from re-intalling my CAD, (after an hour or so of trying to fix it), then all of a sudden CAD started working fine again.

I didn't see any benefit to Cooper, and was disappointed that it wouldn't open any of my CAD files - even though it does use the .dwg extention.

Admittedly, I don't know Autodesk's targeted customers.

craigr

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
Re: Think twice about installing 'Cooper'
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »
I had never even heard of Project Cooper until you made mention of it..... :|

Sorry to hear of your problems, and thanks for relaying your experience with it.  I'll be sure to avoid it.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Kate M

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
Hey Craig,

That definitely shouldn't happen. (And didn't to me, FWIW.) Sounds like something in the registry got adjusted. If you want to PM me your e-mail I think a few of the product team would be interested in the feedback.

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »
I guess this is Autodesk's answer to Sketchup?  It seems seems like a 2D love child of Sketchup and Impression... from my limited look.

I would definitely think twice, as well, I can't find a positive thing ABOUT the program on the interwebs :(  Not that bloggers and forums about Autodesk are particularly fair or positive...

JCTER

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »
I can't find a positive thing ABOUT the program on the interwebs
Look harder. :-)

http://cnettv.cnet.com/autodesk-launches-easy-drafting-app-project-cooper/9742-1_53-50078595.html
http://www.housingzone.com/blog/1290000529/post/880050088.html

To be fair though, they're basically regurgitation of the Autodesk's project description on the website with no real information or specific experiences.

The CNet one does a bit of a better job showing how it works, but doesn't really give any EXPERIENCE about the software.  They're basically just saying what the product does... which leads me to think they haven't even actually used the thing beyond making their "review" and thus can't offer any opinion to follow.

Therein lies the kind of double standard for product reviews though... the people who use it and develop experience with it will likely only speak up about it if something screws up, so you don't hear about the few who will go out of their way to speak about it being GOOD to them, as much as the bad.

Kate M

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:52:39 PM »
Hey, it's only been live for a week, and it *is* still a preview. It's still growing.

As for product reviews, I use them all the time for my own tech purchases, and find them just as likely to say good things as bad. Software admittedly can be a little harder to evaluate, but I think you'll find as we go on that there will be an increase in both the quality and quantity of reviews.

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
Hey, it's only been live for a week, and it *is* still a preview. It's still growing.\

Didn't catch that.  That explains a bit.  Is this meant to be a competitor of SketchUp though?

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Didn't catch that.  That explains a bit.  Is this meant to be a competitor of SketchUp though?

Doesn't appear to contain any of the 3D or push/pull type of functionality that Sketchup has.

My guess is no...rather more of a "competitor" to Autosketch.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

JCTER

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23:01 PM »
I just thought, given the interface, purpose they're saying to fulfill, and what not... maybe it'll launch into the 3d tools once the basis is worked out... no idea, just a thought.  Seems kind of strange to develop such a tool as this and not make it competitive with SketchUp, who does a much better job at it right now.  That's why I thought maybe there were plans/thoughts to mimic SU.