Author Topic: Automatically create profile that is an average depth from surface? [C3D]  (Read 2496 times)

spittle

Is this possible?

the aim is to draw the profile in the profile view so that it's an average of 1.2m below my existing ground level & it needs to have the minimum amount of bends.

We're currently putting the VIPs in manually. An engineer has just asked me to make sure that the proposed invert level (profle) is an average of 1.2m below ground level and I wondered if there was a quick way of doing this?

Often there are maximum gradient constraints too.

Alan Cullen

Dunno about C3D...but in 12D Model you can drape a string over a dtm (tin) to follow the dtm, then translate that string to a distance above or below where it currenly is. Is this also possible in C3D?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
One could create a(n) Quick Profile, export it to XML

Then open the XML file, and read out the Elevations into say Excel, and lower by your required depth....
Then Create the Design Profile using the From File Option...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

Often there are maximum gradient constraints too.

Oooh...  Maximum gradient constraints.  Good idea for an upgrade.

This is one of the tools in the Sincpac-C3D, but it doesn't do that maximum gradient constraint thing...  I'll add that to the list of things to add in future releases...  I had already been planning on adding something that would constrain bends to specific angles, so I'll add a maximum grade, too.

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_CreateAlignmentProfileSurface.htm

Bakerman

I don't use the C3D grading tools often but can't you use a grading tool to have the alignment take on the elevations of the surface? Then lower it by 1.2m and proceed from there? Notice I don't know how to proceed from there....... :-D

sinc

Yeah, that's easy enough, except it creates a PVI at every point where the alignment crosses a TIN triangle.  I don't know of any way of pruning it down from there, using default C3D commands...  Michael?  Is there a way?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
I don't use the C3D grading tools often but can't you use a grading tool to have the alignment take on the elevations of the surface? Then lower it by 1.2m and proceed from there? Notice I don't know how to proceed from there....... :-D

From there one would WEED the feature line, and then use an interesting CHEAT found under Pipes...

Create Network from Object....and Use the Vertices of the Feature Line as the Pipe invert....and then turn THAT into your Proposed Grade Line.....

I might have to play around with this, it could be a cool work flow...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

Ah, OK.  I was stuck trying to find a way to weed a Profile directly, and not thinking roundabout enough.

jugglerbri

Now, how about a combination of a lot of things that have been put forth here:

1.  Draw polyline along the alignment
2.  Convert to feature line
3.  Get elevations from surface (insert grade break points)
4.  Weed feature line
5.  Lower the feature line distance x
6.  Create quick profile of the feature line (no need to profile any surface, just the feature line)
7.  Export profile to LandXML
8.  Import profile from LandXML

spittle

I think for what I'm doing it will be just as quick to draw the profile manually as to get an average depth of 1.2m sometimes the VIPs will need to be slightly above or below 1.2m.

I've just been making a copy of the existing surface to the correct depth and then draing my profile.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Now, how about a combination of a lot of things that have been put forth here:

1.  Draw polyline along the alignment
2.  Convert to feature line
3.  Get elevations from surface (insert grade break points)
4.  Weed feature line
5.  Lower the feature line distance x
6.  Create quick profile of the feature line (no need to profile any surface, just the feature line)
7.  Export profile to LandXML
8.  Import profile from LandXML

Thanks for summarizing the steps I outlined.

However NOTE, when one imports that profile using XML it will NOT be Dynamic!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell