Author Topic: LT Add-on, 3rd Party software  (Read 104767 times)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
Re: LT Add-on, 3rd Party software
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »
That's not the smileys that did that... it's just me.  One of my main functions in here is to just speak up to make everyone feel smarter.

Huh...you got someone usurping your position.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »
You do realize where this is headed for Autodesk, right?  If the LT-Extenders begin to eat into their profits in any real way, LT will become more expensive to offset that loss.  Then there will be no advantage to buying LT plus an extender over the full featured application.  Autodesk didn't get where it is by accident.

Yeah!  What he said!

:-D

If you post to nothingness why do you bother other than to get so perceived brownie points!

We're normally on rather casual terms around here.  A post just for ...

you know what... nevermind

Gazza

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
That's not the smileys that did that... it's just me.  One of my main functions in here is to just speak up to make everyone feel smarter.
You have failed your job!

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

You don't feel smarter?

Maybe it just didn't take.  Go read it again.  This time out loud.  In an Irish accent.

M-dub

« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »
Never mind, I'll just take that as a compliment.  :)

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »

You don't feel smarter?

Maybe it just didn't take.  Go read it again.  This time out loud.  In an Irish accent.

I can't breath...

M-dub

« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »

You don't feel smarter?

I can't breath...

See, Gazza, it's guys like Greg who make my job well worth it.

Now, Greg.  Take the plastic bag off your head and breathe.  My cats breath smells like cat food.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »
You don't feel smarter?

I can't breath...

Oh!..... Thanks Greg.

Go read it again.  This time out loud.  In an Irish accent.  And breathe.
(don't wanna be responsible for suffocating by confusion)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »
All I know from all of this is:

Apparently Gazza, has issues about wether hacking software is illegal, and or unethical and is attempting to argue same here as a proxy for someone else. My first thought is, isn't he lucky that there is a place like The Swamp where the moderators do not possess a god complex and haven't already deleted this dribble and locked his account.  My second thought is he would do well to learn to formulate a coherent line of questions and dialog, if he wishes to further a cause; as his debate skills are sorely lacking and has probably done more to hurt his cause than to advance it.

Sure the EULA for most software is written to protect the publisher from illegal distribution, reverse engineering, and or unlocking functions NOT in the version one purchased.  That being the case, the fact that some application might unlock these features does not make it legal or ethical to do so.  If he wants to argue that Autodesk is unfair in limiting a programmers ability to make money off of unlocking, or providing access to functions that are locked or limited by the LICENSED version the purchaser purchased, he has not convinced me that they are, or that the application he is touting is either legal or ethical. Would be nice if for all his energy that one person could agree with him. Perhaps his future posts will contain more coherent discussions, or information that might prove to have some value to the members at large.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Josh Nieman

« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2008, 04:56:24 PM »
Well said.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »
Does the LT Extender unlock aspects of LT?  Or does it recreate a bunch of those aspects?

Bob Wahr

« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »
According to their documentation, the former, according to Gazza, the latter.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
According to their documentation, the former, according to Gazza, the latter.

Thank you.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
Granted, that's based on the falsehood of what their documentation actually states, not the reality of the dream of what their documentation should say.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2008, 06:49:03 PM »
From my research; admittedly Autodesk left themselves open for this in 'accidentally' leaving lisp code on the LT disc initially, thus enabling their 3rd party developers to develop.

After the lisp was removed, apparently others found means to exploit LT, or write code that LT could call without infringing on the EULA. My thought is if the others are playing by some rules imposed by Autodesk on their development activities, and these others aren't.

I imagine there is some manner to dance the legal minuet, and justify installing LT in some fashion to then write code for it that enables, enhances or extends LT's functionality and not violate the EULA. However, I'm fairly certain that to be a developer in partnership with Autodesk must involve some fee, and standards of practice involved. Given the first legal matter was ruled against this business or individual, it would suggest that this product or developer has found another way to exploit LT in some fashion. Let's hope that it was done within the spirit of the EULA, and that in short time we see Advertising for it in AUGI World. :roll:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/