Author Topic: Blocks Layering Questionnaire  (Read 2165 times)

Big G

• Bull Frog
Blocks Layering Questionnaire
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »
How do you layer blocks?

Everything on layer 0 or do you have specific layers within the block structure...??

for example....

A flanged TEE piece of pipe 'could' have up to 3 layers....
ci-fitting-tee-cl
ci-fitting-tee-pipework
ci-fitting-tee-flange

The layering merely to differentiate between different thicknesses of linetype.
Or do you have different colours within the block itself eg. One for each of the 3 components??
Been musing this one all afternoon on best practice to integrate the blocks.....Theoritically it could all be on a layer ci-pipework-proposed (bar the CL of course)

Ramblings welcome......

G
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

Hugh_Compton

Re: Blocks Layering Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:34:29 AM »
Good question.

I make assemblies from parts (i.e. Tee, bit of pipe, welded flanges).  I turn the individual items into a block so that it is identifiable as an assembly.  When I come to tag (leader with description) later in the project I have the option of either tagging the Assembly (i.e. Welded Steel Assembly R001) or labelling the individual items that I click (i.e. Flange 6"). 

I put all of the entities that make up the block onto layer 0.  I put the actual block onto an assembly layer (i.e. Steel Assemblies).  The items within the block will take on the block's layer.  This is useful because if I try to layer freeze the assembly then I can by freezing just one layer rather than multible ones. 

I is great to to use the following techniques as well as layers:
1) Isolate objects (part of ACA but can be mimicked using object.visible in VBA)
2) Use materials as another way of filtering on top of layers

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »
For individual blocks everything is on layer 0 or defpoints (for non plotting items).  however some items are colored for plotting.  With assembly type things I create the block with seperate layer if it will get exploded upon insert.  This way everything is on the correct layer when it is exploded
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

CottageCGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »
I put each aspect and attribute on a different layer, so if you are not finished w/ a drawing...say you have not checked all your item #'s yet, but a client wants to see the plan...I can just turn off that layer..therefore not officially publishing any incomplete or unchecked work...

Birdy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:41:03 PM »
Pretty much as Tim does it.
Some blocks are 0 (bylayer)
Those that are assemblies (many of our dblocks are) contain standard layers.
some explode on impact, some are just duds (heh). :)

Big G

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »
kind of a mix of both then.....

I dont really see the point in having (in this case anyhoo!) 3 layers within a block, when they are all going to end up on a proposed_pipework layer.....

I think ill stick to the all lines layer0 bar the CL

Thanks for the input...most enlightening! :)

G
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

daron

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 09:38:56 AM »
Anyway I want. I tend to keep the objects together as I've gotten back into using dynamic blocks more and in many cases I have items that should be a specific color while other items should be changed. It all depends on what you're after and what your company standards are. I'm in charge of setting standards here, so it's all on what I want it to be.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »
Almost ALL of our blocks are created on Layer 0, with the colour and linetype set to ByBlock.