Author Topic: (AutoCAD 2008) Fields in XREF not updating  (Read 4202 times)

Josh Nieman

(AutoCAD 2008) Fields in XREF not updating
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:15:32 PM »
Ok, so I have a curious situation.

What controls the updating of fields?  As I see it, you can update it manually, which is a pain, or it can be updating automatically upon the activation of certain commands, as set by the FIELDEVAL sysvar.

What else is there?

I have a field referencing CTAB in my title block which is xref'd into my drawings.

In my drawings, if I change the TAB name, then reload the xreference, it updates them, normally.... but on two users' computers, that does not happen, despite identical settings to my computer, in regards to fields and FIELDEVAL.

Am I missing something easy?  This is their reason for proclaiming that the title block we're trying to use as our standard company block is being rejected by one of the principles who really just hates change, even if it's for the better.  It does update, when you reopen the drawing, though, btw.  That's what led me to believe it was FIELDEVAL since it updates the field when they open, but not when they regen or reload the xref.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: (AutoCAD 2008) Fields in XREF not updating
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:56 PM »
Didn't we already talk about this?

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=19064.msg231618#msg231618

It's a bug....if you don't have a field that actually resides in the drawing, the XREF fields don't update.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
Didn't we already talk about this?

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=19064.msg231618#msg231618

It's a bug....if you don't have a field that actually resides in the drawing, the XREF fields don't update.

Ron

I've still found that workaround to have no effect in my environment, sorry.

Like I said... same drawing, different computers, different results.

same drawing...

Josh Nieman

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »
Maybe I was unclear in what I was asking.

What else is there (if anything) that controls the updating of fields.  I was just wanting to check and make sure I haven't left anything out.  For some reason I keep thinking there were two separate variables that controlled it, but all I can find mention of is FIELDEVAL in help or by searching.

I'm about to just cast off fields altogether because of their inconsistent and annoying behavior.  It's been the source of quite a bit of anger/frustration for me ever since I tried incorporating them.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »
  • The Date field is updated by UPDATEFIELD, but it is not updated automatically based on the setting of the FIELDEVAL system variable.
  • When the DEMANDLOAD system variable is set to 2, fields cannot be updated until you use FIELD or UPDATEFIELD.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
  • The Date field is updated by UPDATEFIELD, but it is not updated automatically based on the setting of the FIELDEVAL system variable.
  • When the DEMANDLOAD system variable is set to 2, fields cannot be updated until you use FIELD or UPDATEFIELD.

Thanks, I'll try the DEMANDLOAD and see what there's are set to.  That's odd, I've never heard of DEMANDLOAD... but then again I've never wanted the fields to HAVE to be updated manually.  My whole intent was automation.