Author Topic: add to alignment  (Read 2401 times)

drizzt

add to alignment
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:54:45 AM »
I have an alignment were we started the design before the survey was completed. We created a plan and profile with view frames and sheet set. Now I have the completed survey and I want to add to the alignment and view frame group I already have.

I used the convert autcad lines and arcs to add to the alignment and that seems to have worked, except the stationing doesn't go to the end of the alignment. when I select the alignment, the whole thing is selected, new and old, just no stationing.

I tried to delete all the stationing and geometry labes, then re-add them, but no luck there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: add to alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »
If you did NOT break apart the alignment segments prior to attempting to join new ones...you get that sort of MOBIUS alignment you have now, wherein pieces is in the wrong places...

I would have suggested in no particular order...

A) draw polyline segment over all pieces and make NEW alignment, and swap that out in the corridor, etc, etc....(you need the practice any way at this point in your learning curve)

B) Drag Start Station of existing Alignment to NEW Start location, use alignment layout toolbar to insert NEW PI's and or horizontal curves to match new survey data....C3D takes care of the rest, although you may have to use the INSERT sheet command...it may just be easy enough to delete, and recreate the VFG

C) what you did   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

drizzt

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
what I did didn't give me alignment labels on all of the new portion (although, I did get some new labels). Basically, once I get the labels to show up, I think I can just add view frame to my view frame group... problem solved. Except, I can't get the new portion to show labels.

drizzt

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
I just noticed, that the only portion of the new alignment that was added to the profile, was the same portion that got new labels, so I am missing the end of the aligment in labels and profile

drizzt

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »
WOO Hoo. Ok, solution is you have to select only one autocad line or arc at a time, end the command and it updates the stationing and the profile!!

Makes me feel smart... :roll:

drizzt

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
I spoke to soon.... That stopped working at the same point it stopped at before. Don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but it ended at the last line segment inside the last view frame... What do you think?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
your 'solution' to this issue lies here...http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=33620.msg389838#msg389838

what direction were the segments drawn in seems to be at the root of this issue
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
You are correct. I re-drew a curve segment, using the add 3 point cuve in the aligment tools, and bam!! worked!!!

reno

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
you can also simply reverse a segment of the alignment rather then going back to the arc. it's on the edit geometry toolbar for the alignments.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »
you can also simply reverse a segment of the alignment rather then going back to the arc. it's on the edit geometry toolbar for the alignments.
I tend to just draw the polyline, so I don't have bother about the direction segments were drawn in....I do still wonder WHY does autocad/C3D even care?????

This part of the application being no better, and sometimes worse than it's equivalent in Land Desktop I tend to A)not use and or even suggest it's use (the use autocad lines and arcs function) due to it's inherent 'defect' of caring about the direction of those segments.  B) not suggest it as a 'best' practice as one can't control the direction some segments are drawn (ARCS in particular) and then the 'failures' of the objects NOT being added to the alignment properly, and needing to deal with the issues the user has had to deal with....

all because autocad/C3D wants to A) keep track of the direction an object was drawn in, and B)drawing all arcs counter clockwise......

I would wish they would take that particular command away....or make the command smarter; similar to the alignment command asking you is the alignment direction correct, a prompt for each objects 'direction' when being added would be far less annoying than having the command fail because of an objects direction, and then needing to flip it.  However I don't do 'wish lists'.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell