Author Topic: Adding text to your drawings.  (Read 3224 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Adding text to your drawings.
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
OK, I'm having a head scratching day today...
I know this may sound odd but...
Could someone enlighten me as to the benefits of using Dtext please...

I've used Mtext for many (probably too many) years.. but one so-called engineer seems to always do all his notes in single line text, causing me loads of work whenever I have to edit any of his work. Before I try to talk to him about it, is he likely to throw anything back in my face about dtext being "better"

Many thanks
T :)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Adding text to your drawings.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »
I've wasted too many hours dealing with this very issue. Especially with the new text editor, I can't think of any reason why he shouldn't make the switch to MText.
CAD Tech

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:19:25 AM »
I have one or to lisp routine that creates sequential numbers that uses Dtext. When it comes to notes, Dtext can be a real pain. Especially when you want to add or edit some text to a long list of single text objects.

The only advantage is that it is easier to use Dtext in lisp than Mtext. (I think so.)
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:26:53 AM »
It depends entirely upon what you want to accomplish. For example, if you have a single word underlined in mtext, it frequently throws AutoCAD for a loop and causes all of the mtext to be underlined. Further, if you want to have different fonts for specific items(i.e. a heading) if you include it in the mtext object, it will most often take on the properties of the rest of the mtext object. While it is possible to edit the mtext in a regular text editor (like notepad) and enter the proper RTF codes to make the text behave properly, the implementation of the MTEXT editor in AutoCAD makes many assumptions and can cause the text to be displayed in a manner not consistent with your needs or desires. Mtext also does not support the ability to manually adjust the width of the font. In dtext if a piece of text does not fit properly, you can adjust the font width up or down to get the desired results. In mtext, you adjust the size of the mtext box, but this can cause text to not be "fitted" to the space required. I use both styles of text and each has their place.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
I usually convert text to mtext when I want to edit it. Txt2Mtext.lsp
If I want plain text just explode the mtext.
My bigest problem with mtext is trying to create a numbered indented list.

As Keith said each has its place.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
Here's my two cents

The "M" in MTEXT stands for what?  Multiline.  In my opinion, that is the ONLY time it should be used.  If it's for notes and such where there ARE multiple lines of text, I believe it should be used exclusively.

For the little bits of text throughout the drawing that are either single lines or single words, for that matter, it REALLY aggravates me when MTEXT is used in place of DTEXT.

In other words, MTEXT should only be used for multiple lines of text.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »
Here's my two cents

The "M" in MTEXT stands for what?  Multiline.  In my opinion, that is the ONLY time it should be used.  If it's for notes and such where there ARE multiple lines of text, I believe it should be used exclusively.

For the little bits of text throughout the drawing that are either single lines or single words, for that matter, it REALLY aggravates me when MTEXT is used in place of DTEXT.

In other words, MTEXT should only be used for multiple lines of text.

I second that..

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
I second that..

Thank-you!

I'm going to make a T-Shirt that says "I'm NOT Crazy!"  :-D

deegeecees

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
I'm going to make a T-Shirt that says "I SO Crazy!"  :-D

:-D

deegeecees

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:14:16 AM »
Exactly Mike.

A great example:
There's a DText editor somewhere out there that will allow a person to select mulitple DText objects in succession, and pull up the DText editor for each one when enter is pressed. It allows for fast changing, as with column numbering, just select the errant numbers in the succession you would like to change them, then start the "1 click 2 click 3 click..." and so on.

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
Exactly Mike.

A great example:
There's a DText editor somewhere out there that will allow a person to select mulitple DText objects in succession, and pull up the DText editor for each one when enter is pressed. It allows for fast changing, as with column numbering, just select the errant numbers in the succession you would like to change them, then start the "1 click 2 click 3 click..." and so on.

Try this one...

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=1884.msg24453#msg24453

deegeecees

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:21 AM »
Yes, the same or similar to that. I have my own that does what I need it to tho. I was just citing examples. Thanks just the same bud.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »
That gives me an idea. [They are getting fewer & farther between these days] 8-)
How about selecting a set of dtext & they are put into a text editor as if they were mtext.
When you complete the edit the text is restored to the dtext line by line.
Any added or deleted would take place at the bottom and added would inherit the properties
of the last text entity.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »
cool idea CAB
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 11:27:36 AM »
Yes, the same or similar to that. I have my own that does what I need it to tho. I was just citing examples. Thanks just the same bud.

That one allows you to A) Select any type of text entity you want. B) Will remember the order in which you selected them and C) Bring it into the appropriate editor depending on the type of text entity. (ie, Attributes, Dtext, Mtext, etc.)