Author Topic: Newbie here with Civil 3D issues...  (Read 5511 times)

couleeman

Re: Newbie here with Civil 3D issues...
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
OK,  use the grading tools to create a graded object for each pond.
Then create the detached surfaces for each.
Then use the Surface>>Utilities >>Extract Surface Objects, The pond surface style MUST have the contours sub component display turned on.
Then you can list their areas, or perform a MAP query against them to have MAP out put the polyline areas to a comma delimited file for each.
Then you plug those areas in to the extension.The good part about getting into Hydroflow is that you can then design the pond to retain, and or outflow to the desired Q out for the pond.

IC, I think...lol.  Been a long day here.  I did what you described only instead of using Hydroflow I dropped it into an excel spread sheet that I had.  I guess what I am looking for is something more of a one or two step process.  Correct me if I am wrong, but without taking the area of the contours, I cannot enter it into Hydroflow.  And to enter into Hydroflow, I have to put in each area individually. 

I am still new to Civil 3D so I will do some playing and see what I can figure out.  I appreciate the help so far guys, Thanks...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
OK,  use the grading tools to create a graded object for each pond.
Then create the detached surfaces for each.
Then use the Surface>>Utilities >>Extract Surface Objects, The pond surface style MUST have the contours sub component display turned on.
Then you can list their areas, or perform a MAP query against them to have MAP out put the polyline areas to a comma delimited file for each.
Then you plug those areas in to the extension.The good part about getting into Hydroflow is that you can then design the pond to retain, and or outflow to the desired Q out for the pond.

IC, I think...lol.  Been a long day here.  I did what you described only instead of using Hydroflow I dropped it into an excel spread sheet that I had.  I guess what I am looking for is something more of a one or two step process.  Correct me if I am wrong, but without taking the area of the contours, I cannot enter it into Hydroflow.  And to enter into Hydroflow, I have to put in each area individually. 

I am still new to Civil 3D so I will do some playing and see what I can figure out.  I appreciate the help so far guys, Thanks...

You pretty much got it right there, couleeman.

As yet those tools are not completely integrated with the model.
I was playing around with a trick in the grading tools that looks like it might work for you, only I'm not sure how to set it up and explain it yet.
I'm not new, however it, and questions like these always have me learning or trying something new.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

couleeman

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »
You pretty much got it right there, couleeman.

As yet those tools are not completely integrated with the model.
I was playing around with a trick in the grading tools that looks like it might work for you, only I'm not sure how to set it up and explain it yet.
I'm not new, however it, and questions like these always have me learning or trying something new.

Cool, thanks for the help.  As I said before, I am new to Civil 3D so I am still trying to find stuff that I already had figured out with other softwares.  I did verify a few volume calcs by making some "blanket" surfaces and doing a comparison, but that would take forever to do for each stage. 

Thanks everyone...:bc:

p.s. we need one of these on here

scout

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 02:04:15 AM »
If you are on subscription, they just posted a little stage storage program to the civil 3d subscription center. Its been awhile since I played with the tool (in its previous incarnation) but if I remember correctly it did a nice job of spitting things out into a bit of a table. Let me see if I can find my old documentation on it...

scout

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 02:10:45 AM »
ok, the version I am familiar with could make a report or an autocad table. i don't have the new version installed yet, but i imagine there is some similar functionality.

John Mayo

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »
If you are going to extract contours, you could also simply convert them to 2d plines & create an AutoCAD table with fields that will read the z and area to compute the volume. You can then copy the table & reassign the plines in the fields to get the data for the next calc.

Just another of many alternatives.